Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Granted. Nothing better than a fluffy, pillowy omelet.

There is a little dive in Norfolk, virginia called Charlie's that has the best omelets in the world. They frappe the eggs in a milkshake machine and finish them in the oven...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Practice be damned. Is this when weezie points out an alternative use for your omelets?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    Jeffrey you just come over here and sit next to me. I'll buy you a drink.

rs and BGreen can stand at the entry to the party where the bouncer is controlling the crowd.

Oh look the band is starting up!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Springsteen. I don't at all get what the fuss has ever been. He has always sounded like generic radio rock to me.
    Springsteen was an acquired taste for me. I gained appreciation of his songwriting by from the homage paid by other great songwriters and artists. The E Steet Band really doesn’t Complement his songs imo. Most of his songs are pretty dark and restless but they're dressed up as rock anthems by the arrangements. He really is Poet and a great story teller.

The road was filled with broken glass and gasoline
    She wasn't saying nothing, it was just a dream
    The wind come silent through the windshield
    All I could see was snow, sky and pines
    I closed my eyes and I was running
    I was running then I was flying”

https://youtu.be/-LWDP4c_ll0

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Jeffrey you just come over here and sit next to me. I'll buy you a drink.

rs and BGreen can stand at the entry to the party where the bouncer is controlling the crowd.

Oh look the band is starting up!
    Much thanks, I’m really moving up!

The Greatful Dead
    Wide Spread Panic
    Phish
    Journey
    Styx
    REO Speedwagon
    Kansas
    Boston
    Chicago
    Foreigner
    Crosby Stills &Nash
    Bro Country

Okra
    Beets
    Oatmeal
    Reality TV
    Sports talk shows
    Comic book movies

Cigars
    Straight Bourbon
    Soccer
    Golf

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    The Greatful Dead
    Wide Spread Panic
    Phish
    Journey
    Styx
    REO Speedwagon
    Kansas
    Boston
    Chicago
    Foreigner
    Crosby Stills &Nash
    Bro Country

Okra
    Beets
    Oatmeal
    Reality TV
    Sports talk shows
    Comic book movies

Cigars
    Straight Bourbon
    Soccer
    Golf
    Neil Young, is that you?
    Carolina delenda est

Disneyland, Disney World, and Michael Jordan.

G’head: Call me a commie!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Disneyland, Disney World, and Michael Jordan.

G’head: Call me a commie!
    I'll join you with mine - Bananas. Don't like the taste or texture - so no to banana bread, too.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Neil Young, is that you?
    I thought it was Nash who wasn’t fond of Neil? CS&N are admired by some of my friends who have similar music tastes so I’ve tried to get into them but I just find their sound annoying. It’s like if the BeeGees were hippies.

I like Neil Young and, accordingly, I like CSN&Y better. Ohio is great Song.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Neil Young, is that you?
    I think he only hates Crosby.

To be fair, I think both Stills and Nash only hate Crosby too.

(Crosby is a great follow on Twitter btw, very interactive and open about why they all hate him).

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I'm super weird on this one. I love eggs. Scrambled, sunny side up, over easy, you name it. And eggs over medium mixed in my grandma's homemade grits is probably my favorite meal of all time.

But I absolutely hate omelets and I cant understand why. I want to love them. I've tried them every way known to man, and I just don't like them. And more often than not, they give me a stomach ache. Maybe its mental
    I get tummy aches from regular hot dogs. I have since I was ten or so. As I remember, I got sick to my stomach twice after other kids' birthday parties when I ate 3-4 hot dogs, and then the other kids and I ran around like total crazies immediately afterwards. This is well over a half-century ago. I love bratwursts and other sausages, but I can't handle plain ol' red hots.

Of course, it's all in my head!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I get tummy aches from regular hot dogs. I have since I was ten or so. As I remember, I got sick to my stomach twice after other kids' birthday parties when I ate 3-4 hot dogs, and then the other kids and I ran around like total crazies immediately afterwards. This is well over a half-century ago. I love bratwursts and other sausages, but I can't handle plain ol' red hots.

Same thing happened to me with ole naner pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Same thing happened to me with ole naner pudding.
    Same thing happened to me with Pepe Lopez tequila.

The Greatful Dead
    Wide Spread Panic
    Phish
    Journey
    Styx
    REO Speedwagon
    Kansas
    Boston
    Chicago
    Foreigner
    Crosby Stills &Nash
    Bro Country

Okra
    Beets
    Oatmeal
    Reality TV
    Sports talk shows
    Comic book movies

Cigars
    Straight Bourbon
    Soccer
    Golf
    The thread is not about just listing stuff you don't like. It's about listing things that are almost universally praised but you do not.

In what universe is okra universally loved? Or beets, or oatmeal, for that matter?

The Greatful Dead
    Grateful Dead

Wide Spread Panic
    Widespread Panic

Phish
    Yeah, Phish isn't that great. FWIW, I don't think everyone loves those last two bands, it is mostly limited to people into jam band culture.

Okra
    Mmm...fried okra...so good.

I think the Beatles will forever be admired most by those of us who were contemporaries of their emergence as a musical influence, and who experienced firsthand the cultural phenomenon they created. Context is always important in analyzing the historical impact of personalities and events.

For Boomers, one of our most prominent generation-defining events was the assassination of President Kennedy. If you go back and examine the Billboard Top 50 on the day after that tragedy, you'll see that the state of American popular music was pretty much a wasteland. The Number 1 record -- back then, sales were measured based on the sales of 45 rpm singles -- was "I'm Leaving It Up To You," by Dale and Grace. The Top Ten was populated by such memorable toe-tappers as "She's A Fool" by Leslie Gore, "Bossa Nova Baby" by Elvis Presley, and "Dominique" by The Singing Nun. Seriously; you can look for yourself. Just 10 weeks later, the Beatles reached Number 1 for the first time with "I Want To Hold Your Hand" -- a song that had vaulted 42 spots to #3 the week before. Also on the Billboard chart for February 1, 1964 was "She Loves You," which had jumped an incredible 48 spots to #21 in one week.

The Beatles brought a fresh sound, a fresh look, and a fresh personality to an American youth that was hungry for a new fad. They weren't surfer boys or hot rod racers or hootenanny folkies who happened to pick up instruments and harmonize a two-and-a-half-minute rhythmic rhyme. They were talented musicians, who looked and acted a bit funny, and spoke with charmingly different -- but not too different -- accents. In addition, they produced a seemingly endless series of songs in quick succession that didn't sound alike, but all of which had catchy tunes and easily memorable lyrics. Unlike other artists, their 45 records had no "B" sides; both sides were typically hits. But most importantly -- and this is what I believe ultimately elevated them to a special plateau -- both they and their music continued to evolve, introducing innovations in sound and style that created trends for others to follow. But I digress . . .

Include me in the group that never found Bruce Springsteen's music to be particularly notable or enjoyable. As for country music, I don't care for the commercially successful Nashville sound or Bakersfield sound; but I really like a lot of the older country and bluegrass music -- for example, I consider my copy of "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, with a star-studded cast of country and bluegrass artists, to be a treasure. Regarding Dylan, I have similar mixed feelings -- I certainly admire his songwriting throughout his career, and I rate "Blood On The Tracks" as one of my Top Ten albums; but other than that album and occasionally "Nashville Skyline," I don't really much enjoy listening to his records.

Finally, since this thread seems to invite expressions of opinion about favorite musicians or, more broadly perhaps, most respected musical artists, allow me to cast a vote for a singer/songwriter/guitarist who, I believe, has demonstrated extraordinary versatility by succeeding as a songwriter and performer across multiple genres, both solo and with a number of well-known groups, over a period of six decades: Neil Young.

In what universe is okra universally loved?
    I'm assuming you aren't from the South or don't frequent BBQ establishments (or, heck, Golden Corral)? Fried okra is a staple.

The thread is not about just listing stuff you don't like. It's about listing things that are almost universally praised but you do not.

In what universe is okra universally loved? Or beets, or oatmeal, for that matter?
    Yeah I got carried away. I’ll grant you beets and oatmeal but in the universe where I live Okra is loved by most. I’m a southerner and I love grits and boiled peanuts but I can’t abide Okra whether fried, boiled or pickled.

I would have also listed spelling nazis if it were simply a list of things I don’t much care for.

Popcorn. It stinks up the whole building when someone cooks it in the microwave. And when you eat it, you spend the next 8 hours picking it from your teeth. Yuck.

I would have also listed spelling nazis if it were simply a list of things I don’t much care for.
    I feel personally attacked.

Coffee. Drank multiple cups a day for years. Then, while traveling on business in Belgium, I got a bad case of food poisoning -- immobilized for a couple of days, then could only eat meagerly. I came out of the episode with a revulsion for coffee -- which had nothing to do with the food poisoning. Been a tea drinker ever since.

On dislike of okra. I grew up eating steamed or boiled okra, and I still like it -- butter helps a lot. IMHO (where the H disappeared in my yout'), as an adult, there is no way anyone can like steamed okra, slimy mess that it is. Fried okra, I understand, and okra soup, a South Carolina staple, is very good and grows on you. But steamed okra separates the Geechees from the Yankees.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013