Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Coffee. Don't like it. Never liked it. Don't like the smell. Hate when people at work sit next to me at meetings with it (back when offices and meeting rooms were a thing).
    Don't get me started on the overpriced fake coffee milkshakes posing as coffee that women, and now young teens think they have to have to go to work, school, or shopping. Again, marketing has outwitted human logic.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Don't get me started on the overpriced fake coffee milkshakes posing as coffee that women, and now young teens think they have to have to go to work, school, or shopping. Again, marketing has outwitted human logic.
    Yeah, I rewrote my post to soften it a bit and removed the part where I railed against the 'culture' that stems from Starbucks...

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I remember when Rolling Stone had "The Edge" (how pretentious is THAT?) on the cover and did a big story about him. My brother wrote a letter to the editor that (surprise!) they didn't publish. It read something like this: "They call him "The Edge" because he knows four chords: E, D, G,...oh, and I did I mention E?"
    Oh my goodness, this so much. No reason for him to be known by a nickname like that. He isn't Slash.

There is a great documentary, It Might Get Loud​ that I love to watch. It features two all time influential guitarists and...a borderline hack from U2. I guess they had trouble finding a third.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    5) Any/all of the streaming tv series that are littered with the F bomb every third word. I don't care how good your show is, if it has that much swearing in it, I'm out. For the life of me I don't understand why they have to cram that word in there so.many.times! Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you NEED to do it. We get that your show is "adult" and all that. Quit cramming your foul language down my throat, please. K.Thnx.Bye
    It can definitely get a little over the top, but worth remembering there are a fair number of people who actually talk like that.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Coffee. Don't like it. Never liked it. Don't like the smell. Hate when people at work sit next to me at meetings with it (back when offices and meeting rooms were a thing).
    Seconded (or third, after left-hook.). Give me a cold Mountain Dew (zero sugar these days) for my caffeine and drinking pleasure. Guess being born in the south does that to people. (south Brooklyn, that is!)

I was actually going to post this in the Beatles/Stones thread but this is the perfect place for it...

I cannot, for the life of me, understand the love given to the Beach Boys album "Pet Sounds". I have tried over and over again to listen to it with an open mind. Still don't get it.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I was actually going to post this in the Beatles/Stones thread but this is the perfect place for it...

I cannot, for the life of me, understand the love given to the Beach Boys album "Pet Sounds". I have tried over and over again to listen to it with an open mind. Still don't get it.
    I'm with you on this. It is especially odd given the fact that Pet Sounds supposedly was an influence on McCartney.

Milk.

Why? Why do people drink milk that comes from a cow's teat?

I hate country music. Especially what they call country music today. Garbage.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Milk.

Why? Why do people drink milk that comes from a cow's teat?
    I can't drink it, but I enjoy it on cereal.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Actually I think that might NOT fit this thread, unless we disregard the first half of the criteria...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It can definitely get a little over the top, but worth remembering there are a fair number of people who actually talk like that.
    Including a GOAT.

Actually I think that might NOT fit this thread, unless we disregard the first half of the criteria...
    C'mon, three chords and the truth? Simplicity and arrogance are All-American. You Commies.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    C'mon, three chords and the truth? Simplicity and arrogance are All-American. You Commies.
    To be fair, country music at the time "three chords and the truth" was coined probably maps closer to modern folk music than modern country music.

Cell Phones!

Thank you!

Garbage is one of my favorite bands. They're the love child of techno and grunge. But I'm with you on country music*.

Musically, Bob Dylan is who I don't get. But I acknowledge that he is widely respected - especially among professional musicians (who know musicianship better than I do).

* may have posted this before - still looking for the source. I have a memory of a movie, 80s teen comedy not unlike Say Anything or Better Off Dead, but it's apparently not one of those. There's a HS graduation going on, and a student speaker gets up and tells the crowd something like this (keep in mind the cold war context of the time): "It is my hope ... that the peoples of the world ... will unite to stop the proliferation of ... country music." As a rocker from Detroit, it really resonated with me, but the irony is that country only became more and more popular from that time to today - even in Detroit. Anyone know where that came from, or did I dream it? Have tried to google it before with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Garbage is one of my favorite bands. They're the love child of techno and grunge. But I'm with you on country music*.

Musically, Bob Dylan is who I don't get. But I acknowledge that he is widely respected - especially among professional musicians (who know musicianship better than I do).

* may have posted this before - still looking for the source. I have a memory of a movie, 80s teen comedy not unlike Say Anything or Better Off Dead, but it's apparently not one of those. There's a HS graduation going on, and a student speaker gets up and tells the crowd something like this (keep in mind the cold war context of the time): "It is my hope ... that the peoples of the world ... will unite to stop the proliferation of ... country music." As a rocker from Detroit, it really resonated with me, but the irony is that country only became more and more popular from that time to today - even in Detroit. Anyone know where that came from, or did I dream it? Have tried to google it before with no luck.
    I know what you mean about Dylan. For me, I don't really enjoy listening to him perform most of his songs. BUT. He was an incredible songwriter. Really excellent lyrics. Any time an artist I even moderately like does a Bob Dylan cover it is usually phenomenal. To me, Dylan's greatness has almost nothing to do with his musical performances and everything to do with his songwriting.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Any time an artist I even moderately like does a Bob Dylan cover it is usually phenomenal.
    IF NOT FOR YOU performed by George Harrison is phenomenal.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post

What's something you cannot stand...
    Criticism of The Beatles.
    Bob Green

9f...gthc!!!!