Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Everyone loves it but I can't stand it

The Beatles / Stones thread got me to thinking about how pop culture can be so subjective and how even when the masses love something there are a few who just don't see what all the fuss is about. For me it's the Beatles. I love music and even though I grew up in the 80's and 90's I love classic rock including the Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Aerosmith, CCR, Black Sabbath, Metallica, GNR and on and on. However, I just cannot get with the Beatles. I have never understood why their music is even considered rock in the first place? They are a pop band. There I said it, hate all you want but that's what I think.

What's something you cannot stand, music, TV shows, movies etc that everyone else seems to love?
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    The Beatles / Stones thread got me to thinking about how pop culture can be so subjective and how even when the masses love something there are a few who just don't see what all the fuss is about. For me it's the Beatles. I love music and even though I grew up in the 80's and 90's I love classic rock including the Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Aerosmith, CCR, Black Sabbath, Metallica, GNR and on and on. However, I just cannot get with the Beatles. I have never understood why their music is even considered rock in the first place? They are a pop band. There I said it, hate all you want but that's what I think.

What's something you cannot stand, music, TV shows, movies etc that everyone else seems to love?
    Springsteen. I don't at all get what the fuss has ever been. He has always sounded like generic radio rock to me.

Do Kardashians count?

All the comic book movies.(except maybe deadpool)

Star Wars. I have tried and tried to watch and like it since I was a teenager. Everytime a new one comes out, I try to watch them and get into it like so many are. I just can't. I just don't care for some reason. Perhaps since I didnt see the originals as a kid, it just never hit home for me? I thought maybe with this last wave of movies I could finally enjoy it. Went to see the last jedi, fell asleep about 30 minutes in.

Social Media: I had Facebook early on because all my distant relatives had it and were posting lots of family info on there. Photos from reunions, holiday gatherings, etc. But it all started going downhill when politics started polarizing the nation around 2010. I renounced all social media in 2014, and haven't looked back. I worry that others in my family are addicted to it. They literally check their phones every 30 seconds. It's disturbing and I worry it is causing anxiety in the younger generation because they are on every app out there, and apps like snapchat are designed to make you addicted to checking/posting.

Country singers that try to rap.

Air Jordan's. Or pretty much any cheaply made overpriced shoe. This one really bothers my son. He is a shoe head, and he can't believe I grew up in the jordan era, played ball my whole life, and have never had a pair, nor the desire to have a pair. He has two pair in his room he got for Christmas. One from me, one from his grandparents. He's never worn them because he doesn't want to crease them. He sacrificed getting many other gifts, to get these two expensive gifts, that he doesn't even wear. The marketing geniuses have defeated human logic.

Every single commercial on tv or radio right now. "In these challenging times, we here at INSERT NAME are committed to getting through this together. That's why right now, we are offering INSERT BS DISCOUNT OR BENEFIT."

ESPN talking heads that debate meaningless topics with hellfire and brimstone.

Now seriously, get off my lawn!

Disco

Watching others play video games. eSports will never catch on with me.

(And get off my lawn too)

Napoleon Dynamite.

That's my list.

Bracketology. Ugh.

Joey Buckets is a charlatan. He puts our brackets three months before the tournament, and people across the country go into anxiety fits about where they are seeded or if they are on the bubble. He updates it more and more frequently as Selection Sunday gets closer, and then everyone is wowed by how accurate he is when he only misses a few teams and things look pretty similar.

Give me the information as of the morning of Selection Sunday, and I bet I hit 90-95% accurate. It's mostly all square by then.

Imagine if I told you I knew exactly what the Dow Jones would read at noon on June 3rd. And I told you right now what it would be then. But every 12 hours, I would adjust my prediction. Would you be floored by my accuracy if I was off by a few points at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    All the comic book movies.(except maybe deadpool)

Star Wars. I have tried and tried to watch and like it since I was a teenager. Everytime a new one comes out, I try to watch them and get into it like so many are. I just can't. I just don't care for some reason. Perhaps since I didnt see the originals as a kid, it just never hit home for me? I thought maybe with this last wave of movies I could finally enjoy it. Went to see the last jedi, fell asleep about 30 minutes in.

Social Media: I had Facebook early on because all my distant relatives had it and were posting lots of family info on there. Photos from reunions, holiday gatherings, etc. But it all started going downhill when politics started polarizing the nation around 2010. I renounced all social media in 2014, and haven't looked back. I worry that others in my family are addicted to it. They literally check their phones every 30 seconds. It's disturbing and I worry it is causing anxiety in the younger generation because they are on every app out there, and apps like snapchat are designed to make you addicted to checking/posting.

Country singers that try to rap.

Air Jordan's. Or pretty much any cheaply made overpriced shoe. This one really bothers my son. He is a shoe head, and he can't believe I grew up in the jordan era, played ball my whole life, and have never had a pair, nor the desire to have a pair. He has two pair in his room he got for Christmas. One from me, one from his grandparents. He's never worn them because he doesn't want to crease them. He sacrificed getting many other gifts, to get these two expensive gifts, that he doesn't even wear. The marketing geniuses have defeated human logic.

Every single commercial on tv or radio right now. "In these challenging times, we here at INSERT NAME are committed to getting through this together. That's why right now, we are offering INSERT BS DISCOUNT OR BENEFIT."

ESPN talking heads that debate meaningless topics with hellfire and brimstone.

Now seriously, get off my lawn!
    Would we get a shorter post if we asked about the things you liked? (, just messin' with ya, buddy)

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Would we get a shorter post if we asked about the things you liked? (, just messin' with ya, buddy)
    Ha ha. Probably. I had the same thought as I was typing it. I was in the waiting room while my wife was with the doctor, so I had some time to kill. 😀

Star Wars

Game of Thrones

Bon Jovi

Green Day

U2

Minutes discussions
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I hate criticism of the Beatles. They are the greatest band of all time -- brilliant song-writing, fabulous musicianship, and path-breaking production values -- over and over and over again.

Sorry we had them together for such a short time -- ten years, the last eight with Ringo on the drums.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Adele. Lady Gaga. Fruit in food that isn't dessert (pineapple pizza, mango salsa, etc etc). The LotR movies.

I'll also second the Bruce Springsteen mention above.

Classical Music

My alarm is set to give me 20 minutes of news each morning, but on Sunday morning my regularly scheduled news is replaced by classical music. Sometimes I get up and turn it off. Sometimes I turn over and cover my ear with a pillow.

I'm expecting to take a hit on this one, but hey look at the thread title.

I am surprised to see that others have mentioned some of mine.

1) Star Wars. Yuck. What the heck? Why does anybody like this stuff? I saw the original movie on opening night. I thought it was ok, but nothing special. I went with friends to the second one, and actually fell asleep during it. Hated it. Haven't seen any of the others and have no interest in it at all.

2) Fleetwood Mac. They have a few decent songs, but overall I find them grating.

3) Bruce Springsteen. Nothing to write home about, don't like his voice at all. His most famous song is irritating and repetitive.

4) U2. I really like all their albums that only have three letters in the title. After that they jumped the shark. I remember when Rolling Stone had "The Edge" (how pretentious is THAT?) on the cover and did a big story about him. My brother wrote a letter to the editor that (surprise!) they didn't publish. It read something like this: "They call him "The Edge" because he knows four chords: E, D, G,....oh, and I did I mention E?"

5) Any/all of the streaming tv series that are littered with the F bomb every third word. I don't care how good your show is, if it has that much swearing in it, I'm out. For the life of me I don't understand why they have to cram that word in there so.many.times! Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you NEED to do it. We get that your show is "adult" and all that. Quit cramming your foul language down my throat, please. K.Thnx.Bye
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I am indifferent to many things, but can not understand not getting the greatness of the Beatles. And for me Springsteen, best live concerts I’ve ever seen.

What I cannot stand is the show called unc and anyone who supports it. That’s my list.

What is "Raymond"?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Classical Music

My alarm is set to give me 20 minutes of news each morning, but on Sunday morning my regularly scheduled news is replaced by classical music. Sometimes I get up and turn it off. Sometimes I turn over and cover my ear with a pillow.

I'm expecting to take a hit on this one, but hey look at the thread title.
    Yikes. I can imagine a world without the Beatles sooner than I could imagine a world without classical music. And I love the Beatles.

Coffee. Don't like it. Never liked it. Don't like the smell. Hate when people at work sit next to me at meetings with it (back when offices and meeting rooms were a thing).