Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who’s your surprise player for the 2020-2021 season?

Who you go there?

I am stuck between picking Patrick Tapé and Henry Coleman. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think one of these bigs will exceed expectations.

Wendell Moore, Jr.

He's going to be a different player next season.

For Freshmen, it's Jaemyn Brakefield. He's going to win the "Cassius Stanley Memorial Underrated Recruit" award.

Jalen Johnson will be compared to some of the best forwards Duke has had in recent years, but that won't be a surprise.

Can someone edit my typo
    The How's to Who's

I'm not so sure about this 2020-21 season of which you speak...

DJ Steward, who might lead the team in scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    How's your surprise player for the 2020-2021 season?
    Right now I'd guess he's holding up ok, staying home, a little apprehensive but trying to stay fit and eager to play again when he can.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Mine's about to be kicked in the shins. He needs to stop jumping out from around blind corners and yelling "Boo!"
    It's getting kinda old.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If the season happens, it's Joey Buckets.

Wendell.

Gonna shine.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I hear there's this international kid from Spain who's been flying under the radar. He played for el Equipo de Inquisición last year.

Surprise Player.

I'm going with Matthew Hurt. ACC First team, 2nd team AA and ACCT MVP. Freshman POY will be Mr. Steward.

GoDuke!

Oh! So many to choose from.

Jalen Johnson.

I think he's gonna have a Jabari/Tatum/Ingram-type season. I think I'm in the minority on this.

Watch out.

Amongst the non-superstars, Wendell Moore. Defensive maestro combined with the ultimate glue guy who may take over PG duties.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I'm going with Matthew Hurt. ACC First team, 2nd team AA and ACCT MVP. Freshman POY will be Mr. Steward.

GoDuke!
    I agree on Hurt. I think JGold has been a surprise every year as far as his performance vs pre-season expectations. Last year JGold, Stanley and finally JRob were pleasant surprises. Jav and Hurt probably performed under expectations and everyone else was about on par imo. I think Moore will also improve and surprise but I’ll go with Hurt for be the biggest improvement. I can’t predict the frosh since I haven’t seen them play.

Justin Robinson. Hey, it's just as likely as it was at the beginning of last season.

So, is no one choosing Jeremy Roach because they feel that it's a given that he is going to be great? (so not a surprise?) Or because no one thinks he's going to be great?

I feel that blowing out his ACL in HS probably cost him a few spots on the recruiting rankings. If he is back at full health, which he seems to be, I think he's got top-5 talent written all over him!

That crossover and explosive first step are going to have the boys in baby blue crying in their Fruit Loops!

He's going to make the Hokies wish they could take their left foot out and shake it all about!

He's going to have the Cavaliers yelling "Wa-who the Hell was that?"

He's going to make Jim Boeheim wish he'd never fallen in love with NC barbecue!

He's going to make the Wolf-Pups circle 18 times before laying down and taking a nap!!

Shall I continue?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Jalen Johnson.

I think he's gonna have a Jabari/Tatum/Ingram-type season. I think I'm in the minority on this.

Watch out.

Amongst the non-superstars, Wendell Moore. Defensive maestro combined with the ultimate glue guy who may take over PG duties.
    The reason I didn't pick Jalen was I believe he's going to be a Tatum/Jabari/Ingram type player and that wouldn't be a surprise. Of the freshmen I believe he's the surest of them to get major minutes.

GoDuke!

Read an article a few years ago that argued that the most undervalued player going into a new season is the "veteran on the bench." If true, that's likely to be Joey Baker.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Read an article a few years ago that argued that the most undervalued player going into a new season is the "veteran on the bench." If true, that's likely to be Joey Baker.
    Hope you are right. I'm pulling for this kid.

Patrick Tapé
    Henry Coleman
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Wendell Moore, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Jaemyn Brakefield.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    DJ Steward
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Matthew Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Jalen Johnson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Jeremy Roach
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Joey Baker.
    Come on, guys. Somebody pick Mark Williams and Jordan Goldwire so we can cover the whole roster.