Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Doug Gottlieb - it's projection

With the dearth of new sports content, went and listened to Titus & Tate's interview of Doug Gottlieb and a couple of interesting tidbits:

In telling the story of his high school development/recruitment, he said he was for most of his HS years considered not quite good enough to warrant a UCLA scholarship offer, but eventually Jim Harrick did get around to offering him, and he told Harrick that what he really was holding out for was that he wanted to go to Duke! And, when he didn't get offered by Duke (he would have been a year behind Wojo), that's when he decided on Notre Dame.

And, then, after he got busted for the credit card fraud at Notre Dame and had to sit out and go Juco, when he went back onto the recruiting circuit, he said that he went to Georgia Tech for a visit and Bobby Cremins told him "If Matt Harpring goes pro early and we don't get [then HS star] Dion Glover, I'm going to get fired, so you should go someplace else."

The ACC really misses Bobby Cremins.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    With the dearth of new sports content, went and listened to Titus & Tate's interview of Doug Gottlieb and a couple of interesting tidbits:

In telling the story of his high school development/recruitment, he said he was for most of his HS years considered not quite good enough to warrant a UCLA scholarship offer, but eventually Jim Harrick did get around to offering him, and he told Harrick that what he really was holding out for was that he wanted to go to Duke! And, when he didn't get offered by Duke (he would have been a year behind Wojo), that's when he decided on Notre Dame.

And, then, after he got busted for the credit card fraud at Notre Dame and had to sit out and go Juco, when he went back onto the recruiting circuit, he said that he went to Georgia Tech for a visit and Bobby Cremins told him "If Matt Harpring goes pro early and we don't get [then HS star] Dion Glover, I'm going to get fired, so you should go someplace else."

Dion Glover? Childish Gambino??

Gottlieb is alarmingly inconsequential to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post

I listen to Gottlieb’s podcast quite often. He’s smart, self-deprecating, funny, very knowledgeable about basketball, has interesting and compelling opinions about sports and life in general, and almost always speaks highly of Duke and everyone associated with it. I highly recommend his show.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I listen to Gottlieb’s podcast quite often. He’s smart, self-deprecating, funny, very knowledgeable about basketball, has interesting and compelling opinions about sports and life in general, and almost always speaks highly of Duke and everyone associated with it. I highly recommend his show.
    I usually find him to be alarmingly asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    I usually find him to be alarmingly asinine.
    It’s hiarious that so many posters can’t get beyond one comment Gottlieb made over a decade ago. Talk about holding a grudge, my gosh. And for such an inconsequential reason, no less. I would bet the same posters will be making the same comment 10, and maybe even 20, years from now.

It’s hiarious that so many posters can’t get beyond one comment Gottlieb made over a decade ago. Talk about holding a grudge, my gosh. And for such an inconsequential reason, no less. I would bet the same posters will be making the same comment 10, and maybe even 20, years from now.
    It isn’t about the comment Gottlieb made it is about Gottlieb being boring and full of himself. One of my coworkers is a huge sports fan from Indiana so he loves the IU Hoosiers — he can’t stand listening to Gottlieb.
    Bob Green

*Waves*

I'm one of them. If I'm being honest, I find him grating in his righteous schtick. As far as the 2010 comments, I think it's rad that we went on the cut the nets after his diss.

Doug's comments really just seemed... lazy. Not a creative dig, not even very analytical. Just "oh, it's Duke, they are maybe less athletic. It's Miami, I bet they are criminals. It's UNC, they never go to class..."

Wait, I take that last one back.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    *Waves*

I'm one of them. If I'm being honest, I find him grating in his righteous schtick. As far as the 2010 comments, I think it's rad that we went on the cut the nets after his diss.

Doug's comments really just seemed... lazy. Not a creative dig, not even very analytical. Just "oh, it's Duke, they are maybe less athletic. It's Miami, I bet they are criminals. It's UNC, they never go to class..."

Wait, I take that last one back.
    That’s all well and good, though some of what you said I don’t agree with, but it’s well past time to let it go, in my opinion. It’s like his comment — which was really just a throwaway comment — somehow burned itself into the psyche of certain Duke fans. There have been many many many worse things said by people about Duke basketball before and since, but DBR posters don’t continually bring them up like they do this one relatively benign comment Gottlieb made over a decade ago.

And the way some people view basketball athleticism — blinding quickness, sky-walking dunking ability, etc. — that particular Duke team actually wasn’t very athletic in that sense. So I don’t get what the big deal is. He didn’t say the team sucks. He didn’t say they have no chance of winning. But even if he had, who cares? So the guy may have been a bit off on his prognostication and/or assessment. So what? Why does it matter?

Well, there is the time when Gottleib criticized Andrew Luck for being a weak, spoiled millennial because Luck retired rather than put his body through more anguish. Gottleib was just destroed by many NFL analysts for talking about something that he had no idea about.

I admit that I do not pay much attention to the guy, but he seems to have made a decent number of controversial, often mean-spirited comments over the years. I don't mind a hot take, but his seem cruel more often than suits my taste.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, there is the time when Gottleib criticized Andrew Luck for being a weak, spoiled millennial because Luck retired rather than put his body through more anguish. Gottleib was just destroed by many NFL analysts for talking about something that he had no idea about.

I admit that I do not pay much attention to the guy, but he seems to have made a decent number of controversial, often mean-spirited comments over the years. I don't mind a hot take, but his seem cruel more often than suits my taste.
    I don’t think that’s an accurate portrayal at all. He has made hundreds of thousands of comments over the the past 15 years or so. To have made some controversial comments during all that time and many thousands of hours of commentating really doesn’t say much of anything at all. I think you’re missing out on one of the best sports podcasts there is, but each to his own.

In comparison, Bill Simmons, though I like his podcast a lot, makes many more pointed negative comments about others. Colin Cowherd does as well, though I really don’t listen to his podcast anymore as I find it boring and repetitive.

I don’t think that’s an accurate portrayal at all. He has made hundreds of thousands of comments over the the past 15 years or so. To have made some controversial comments during all that time and many thousands of hours of commentating really doesn’t say much of anything at all. I think you’re missing out on one of the best sports podcasts there is, but each to his own.

In comparison, Bill Simmons, though I like his podcast a lot, makes many more pointed negative comments about others. Colin Cowherd does as well, though I really don’t listen to his podcast anymore as I find it boring and repetitive.
    I like Simmons. I can't stomach CC.

Different tastes, I reckon.

I hear there's still a $2-million dollar reward offered for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person who first taught Colin Cowherd about analogies and metaphors.

Yeah I've gotten to where I can listen to Simmons talk NBA all day long. His NFL talks can be fun but nowhere near as insightful as his NBA ones. Also the parent corners are great.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Yeah I've gotten to where I can listen to Simmons talk NBA all day long. His NFL talks can be fun but nowhere near as insightful as his NBA ones. Also the parent corners are great.
    I was a big fan of Simmons back when he was a writer. I am generally not a fan of podcasts and I particularly don't like his - he has a voice made for print. I wish he would return to at least occasionally writing.

The little I know of Gottlieb I don't like. Fortunately, I don't see or hear him much, so I guess that is a good thing.

I miss Packer & Durham on the ACC Network. Maybe they haven't been around long enough to picked apart, bone by bone.

Could do without the mutts on set, be it basement or wherever.

Yep, you’re right. That’s all it is — different tastes, different perspectives. I mean, The Beatles are the greatest band of all time by just about any metric, but some people who have seen the ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ movie, especially those who are younger than 30, have now been fooled into thinking Queen is on the level of The Beatles when in reality they (Queen) might barely be in the top 25.

Well, maybe that was a poor example of what I’m trying to say, but I just felt like saying it. As far as the Gottlieb thing goes, a lot of people really like his podcast and a fair amount do not, and that’s perfectly fine. I just think the “alarmingly unathletic” thing should be put to bed. But hey, what do I know?

I like CC because he still reps Seattle.

Colin talks in a certain way. He does!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Colin talks in a certain way. He does!
    Big market! Warm weather! I know what you want!

I think "alarmingly"-whatever is a shorthand way to disrespect someone that's routinely not respected around here.

And I still can't stand Skip Bayless - whom I first read in Dallas in '86. Nothing I've seen from him since has changed my mind.

-jk