Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Filling mine up every two or three days. Got 3 feeders, and saw four birds at once today...Thomasville NC

Returned to my property at Smith Mountain Lake this week. Somewhat disappointing. Seems a bear (or some other fairly large animal) took down my feeder and proceeded to dismantle it piece by piece. Broke the branch that it was hanging from that was about 1 and 1/2 inches in diameter.

Also, still seem to only have 1 hummingbird. He's a very active little guy, loves the feeders and the lilacs but I would have thought we would get more than one. I feel for the little fella, he's gotta be lonely.

Also, it seems as though a young hawk (not sure what type, haven't gotten a good look at it yet) has taken up residence in the woods just beside the house. I hear him/her almost all day. (is that normal?) I believe that it's presence is limiting the other, smaller birds visits to the back yard. Or, I guess it could just be that I need to get a new feeder up.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Returned to my property at Smith Mountain Lake this week. Somewhat disappointing. Seems a bear (or some other fairly large animal) took down my feeder and proceeded to dismantle it piece by piece. Broke the branch that it was hanging from that was about 1 and 1/2 inches in diameter.

Also, still seem to only have 1 hummingbird. He's a very active little guy, loves the feeders and the lilacs but I would have thought we would get more than one. I feel for the little fella, he's gotta be lonely.

Also, it seems as though a young hawk (not sure what type, haven't gotten a good look at it yet) has taken up residence in the woods just beside the house. I hear him/her almost all day. (is that normal?) I believe that it's presence is limiting the other, smaller birds visits to the back yard. Or, I guess it could just be that I need to get a new feeder up.
    Sound is helpful. Red-shouldered hawk has a two-noted call, which it repeats. The larger red-tailed hawk has a scream that gradually fades out. Don't overlook a possible Cooper's hawk -- they love woodlands and make an otherworldly series of barking notes -- almost metallic. The female Cooper's is about the same size as a red-shouldered.

From the Sibley Guide to Birds:
    Red-shouldered hawk -- "...adult territorial call a high, clear, squealing keeyuur, keeyuur... repeated steadily."

Red-tailed --"A distant, rasping, scraping scream, falling in pitch and intensity cheeeeeewv."

Cooper's -- "Adult at nest gives a series of flat, nasal, barking notes.. pek, pek,..." This is a real "what was that?" call.. a bit scary.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Red shouldered hawks are going through a surge in numbers at the present time. We hiked Nature Conservancy lands back a few years back looking to follow up on a possible ivory billed woodpecker sighting we had earlier along Juniper Creek. Red shouldered hawks were everywhere, their cries filled the air.
    We left when a large bear began following us to the car..lol

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sound is helpful. Red-shouldered hawk has a two-noted call, which it repeats. The larger red-tailed hawk has a scream that gradually fades out. Don't overlook a possible Cooper's hawk -- they love woodlands and make an otherworldly series of barking notes -- almost metallic. The female Cooper's is about the same size as a red-shouldered.

From the Sibley Guide to Birds:
    Red-shouldered hawk -- "...adult territorial call a high, clear, squealing keeyuur, keeyuur... repeated steadily."

Red-tailed --"A distant, rasping, scraping scream, falling in pitch and intensity cheeeeeewv."

Cooper's -- "Adult at nest gives a series of flat, nasal, barking notes.. pek, pek,..." This is a real "what was that?" call.. a bit scary.
    I always thought the Cooper's Hawk sounded like a screaming wounded kitten. Yes, unnerving.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I always thought the Cooper's Hawk sounded like a screaming wounded kitten. Yes, unnerving.
    I never used to think of Cooper's hawks except during migration -- hawk watches, Cape May, etc. But when we did the Maryland Atlas project a while ago. I had nesting Cooper's on my tract two years in a row -- different areas. This was in upper Montgomery County. Cooper's nest in the Piedmont -- the more common and smaller sharp-shinned Hawk is not a nester but appears in large numbers during migration and over-winters in much of the Eastern US.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Morning coffee punctuated by a kestrel swooping in to carry off a small bird (unidentified) followed by a slightly bizarre season of a crow stabbing a mouse to death with its beak, tossing it around a bit, then flying off with it.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Morning coffee punctuated by a kestrel swooping in to carry off a small bird (unidentified) followed by a slightly bizarre season of a crow stabbing a mouse to death with its beak, tossing it around a bit, then flying off with it.
    Good grief! That's a lot to witness at breakfast.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I never used to think of Cooper's hawks except during migration -- hawk watches, Cape May, etc. But when we did the Maryland Atlas project a while ago. I had nesting Cooper's on my tract two years in a row -- different areas. This was in upper Montgomery County. Cooper's nest in the Piedmont -- the more common and smaller sharp-shinned Hawk is not a nester but appears in large numbers during migration and over-winters in much of the Eastern US.
    In NC, Cooper's
    hawk are more common than sharp shinned. Sharpies nest only in the mountains and foothills, and and even there they are uncommon.S.

Of course, after posting this morning, I ate lunch out on the deck and sat out after work for a while and never heard the hawk once.

Good news is, I may be able to piece back together the feeder...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Of course, after posting this morning, I ate lunch out on the deck and sat out after work for a while and never heard the hawk once.

Good news is, I may be able to piece back together the feeder...
    Interesting nesting year on my ol' homestead. Robins rearing young, natch -- and seem to be gearing up for a second nesting. Mountain bluebirds making a second attempt at a nest under our second floor deck; the first was destroyed -- magpie? Then we have a Cordilleran Flycatcher (the A.O.U. split the Western flycatcher species into two different species) that nested right in our entryway just above and to the side of the front door. It also had some adventures -- broken egg about a month ago -- but we believe this family has successfully completed the hatching and rearing process.

There is also a violet-green swallow nest somewhere on the north side of the house. Yard has yellow warblers, house wrens in the nesting box (fending off the tree swallows), and MacGillivray's warblers plus the usual chickadees. Probably a lot more in the dense part of the yard, but these I have seen.
    Sage Grouse

It's not unusual for thrushes (robins and bluebirds are thrushes) to double nest, especially in the southern parts of their respective ranges. I had a pair of bluebirds do it two years ago.

FINALLY saw one of my owls this morning! They woke me up hootin' and hollerin'. All in my front yard, not sure how many. Then one answered, and I could tell he was right outside my window - as in on the roof of my front porch within a few feet of my window. After debating about whether or not to look, afraid of scaring him off, I did get up AND I SAW HIM! He had his back to me and was just turning his head back around (I think he saw me pull my shade back). He sat there and hooted a couple more times for me, answering the others in my yard, then flew down to the driveway. Made my morning!

At Halloween, I put a large speaker in an open side window and play barred owl calls. Shakes up the children..lol

Just because...

IMG_7854.jpg

Some of the highest intensity migration is occurring right now. Most song birds migrate at night so we don’t see them but last few days they’ve been at an intensity of 50,000 per square mile above PA, heading to DC.

Biggest thing you can do to help is keep your external house lights off. For you NYers, the NY Audubon actually works with the 9/11 Memorial to dim the lights every so often based on migration intensity.

https://wjla.com/weather/stormwatch7...nd-dc-virginia

I went out for my morning run yesterday in suburban Denver and found a small owl on my driveway. I should have gotten a picture. He let me get close and did not appear to be injured or sick. I got a cardboard box, cut out a side and put it over him thinking that if he was sick I could give him some protection while figuring out who to call. He immediately hopped out of the side of the box and appeared to be a bit peeved. I went inside to figure out who to call in the event he needed help, when I returned he was gone.

He was a really cool little owl. I got online to try to figure out what he was, the closest comparison I could find was the Northern Screech Owl. This brief encounter made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I went out for my morning run yesterday in suburban Denver and found a small owl on my driveway. I should have gotten a picture. He let me get close and did not appear to be injured or sick. I got a cardboard box, cut out a side and put it over him thinking that if he was sick I could give him some protection while figuring out who to call. He immediately hopped out of the side of the box and appeared to be a bit peeved. I went inside to figure out who to call in the event he needed help, when I returned he was gone.

He was a really cool little owl. I got online to try to figure out what he was, the closest comparison I could find was the Northern Screech Owl. This brief encounter made my day.
    I would have probably sat there on the driveway and stared at him until he flew off. Owls fascinate me. Yeah, screeches are pretty small.

I would have probably sat there on the driveway and stared at him until he flew off. Owls fascinate me. Yeah, screeches are pretty small.
    Saw-whets and Elfs (the owl variety) are smaller.

The Northern Saw-whet Owl is unbelievably tame, as is the bird you describe. As in, you can pick the bird out of a tree. (Which is illegal, although bird banders have permits to do so.)