Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
    Saw this. Figured this was the place to post it.
    bird1.jpg
    bird2.jpg

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Today's WaPost snowy owl picture:

(photo jealousy is not pretty; this pic is)

-jk
    Thanks to you and Bundabergdevil for sharing. I am back in Northern VA from the jersey shore and thought my snowy owl time was over .

Have to admit I am more than a little worries about this girl. They are not built for city life.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Saw this. Figured this was the place to post it.
    bird1.jpg
    bird2.jpg

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Another awesome picture. I have never anything like this in my owl encounters but I have found them to be far less skittish than they are made out to be. I try to keep the recommended distance away but have had snowy fly pretty close to me more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    Another awesome picture. I have never anything like this in my owl encounters but I have found them to be far less skittish than they are made out to be. I try to keep the recommended distance away but have had snowy fly pretty close to me more than once.
    Owls of the Far North can be pretty tame. This is a Great Gray Owl, a bird of the Great North Woods and the Northern Rockies. The Snowy Owl is often approachable, as is the Saw-Whet Owl.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Saw a bunch of white pelicans today. Some of the largest birds I’ve ever seen.

Tufted Titmouse3.jpg

January boredom is getting to me. But at least my pics are getting better.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

"That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

CarolinaWren.jpg

Like I said... January boredom.

Deer2.jpg

Oops. Wrong thread.

According to my googling, I believe I saw a female Dark-eyed or Black-eyed junco on the deck under my Mom's feeder this morning. Had not seen one of those. Sorry, no pic.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    According to my googling, I believe I saw a female Dark-eyed or Black-eyed junco on the deck under my Mom's feeder this morning. Had not seen one of those. Sorry, no pic.
    Dark-eyed Junco would be your normal bird. Male is gray-black on top and whitish underneath. The female is the same except for a brownish wash. They like to flock, so you may see several.

Dark-eyed Junco is a confusing array of subspecies, each seemingly on its way to becoming a separate species (a la Darwin Finches). In the Eastern U.S. it's much less confusing as almost all birds are the Slate-colored variety. In the Colorado Rockies we get to see the Oregon Junco (dark black head, reddish mantle), Pink-sided, the Slate-colored, plus others.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dark-eyed Junco would be your normal bird. Male is gray-black on top and whitish underneath. The female is the same except for a brownish wash. They like to flock, so you may see several.

Dark-eyed Junco is a confusing array of subspecies, each seemingly on its way to becoming a separate species (a la Darwin Finches). In the Eastern U.S. it's much less confusing as almost all birds are the Slate-colored variety. In the Colorado Rockies we get to see the Oregon Junco (dark black head, reddish mantle), Pink-sided, the Slate-colored, plus others.
    She was definitely brown, which is why I said "she". I was thrown by the pics I saw online at first b/c they were all gray and she was all brown. Black face, light underbelly. Really small. Couldn't find anything else it could have been, but I am open to suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    She was definitely brown, which is why I said "she". I was thrown by the pics I saw online at first b/c they were all gray and she was all brown. Black face, light underbelly. Really small. Couldn't find anything else it could have been, but I am open to suggestions!
    Nuthatches like to feed on the ground under feeders. If you're in a pine forest, you could have a Brown-headed Nuthatch (although I have only seen them in trees). They are really small!
    Sage Grouse

Nuthatches like to feed on the ground under feeders. If you're in a pine forest, you could have a Brown-headed Nuthatch (although I have only seen them in trees). They are really small!
    Nope this was solid in color except for the light underbelly. Junco looks like the right one, she was just dark brown.

virtual d6

My weekly visitor

Impressive young Red-shouldered, I believe.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post

virtual d6

My weekly visitor
    That’s a good looking woodpecker.

Impressive young Red-shouldered, I believe.
    Theres 3 thay work as a team to catch prey .you can hear them talking .they heard the birds from tree to tree till they make them go across openings .
    Its a work of art very precise.

I have another at work now that doesnt run from me.
    Maybe same type of hawk .wierd they tend to tolerate me. this guy hangs out a bit.

Immature Red-shouldered Hawk, I believe. Nice it's so cooperative.