Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 600 of 684
  1. #581
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Great Falls Va + Avalon NJ

    Hereís a bird feeding itself

    B7A1E9C5-250C-4D40-84C8-AB05E2FA739F.jpg

    Osprey on a dock pole (enjoying a recent catch) shot from my deck

  2. #582
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Great Falls Va + Avalon NJ

    Another self feeding bird

    36CC36D0-F778-4A25-8FDD-FDEE37763E7A.jpg

    Eagle sitting on the Osprey stand deserted by the Osprey in my last pic. Also shot from my deck.

  3. #583
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Great Falls Va + Avalon NJ

    Not birds but they are migrating

    7A0CA852-3CAA-4928-BB2F-7DD712AE3EE4.jpg7A0CA852-3CAA-4928-BB2F-7DD712AE3EE4.jpg

    Now I am pushing it - but the fall Monarch migration here has to be seen to be believed. Shot this today. Incredible creatures feasting on the local goldenrod on their way to Mexico. You see more and more that were tagged - I didnít notice any here. Would love to understand how they select the one pine tree they all roost in.

    Sage - in case you see this - the big local story was a couple of Roseate Spoonbills were spotted flying over Cape May yesterday. I didnít get a picture but they are out there. One spent the summer near Atlantic City. Another sign of global warming, no one remembers them this far north (NJ) before.

  4. #584
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    7A0CA852-3CAA-4928-BB2F-7DD712AE3EE4.jpg7A0CA852-3CAA-4928-BB2F-7DD712AE3EE4.jpg

    Now I am pushing it - but the fall Monarch migration here has to be seen to be believed. Shot this today. Incredible creatures feasting on the local goldenrod on their way to Mexico. You see more and more that were tagged - I didnít notice any here. Would love to understand how they select the one pine tree they all roost in.

    Sage - in case you see this - the big local story was a couple of Roseate Spoonbills were spotted flying over Cape May yesterday. I didnít get a picture but they are out there. One spent the summer near Atlantic City. Another sign of global warming, no one remembers them this far north (NJ) before.
    Big doings at the Cape May hawk watch station, I reckon.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  5. #585
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    We were sitting on Boston Common on sunny Tuesday, all kinds of geese and ducks moving around on sea, land and air, bunches of pigeons, and a big fat red tailed hawk sitting in a tree selecting his next meal like he was at Chipotle.

  6. #586
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    507C58EB-6D8E-43E1-A349-8527C26F494B.jpg

    This will be pretty pixelated (if I can get it to post correctly at all) because it is from my phone with fairly maximal zooming, but hopefully it looks as impressive as it felt at the time. This is out behind my house. I was 40 feet away with nothing in between us when this picture was taken. I was surprised he let me get this close, and in 20 years of living here, no hawk has come this close to the house before. Really fun to see!

  7. #587
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post

    This will be pretty pixelated (if I can get it to post correctly at all) because it is from my phone with fairly maximal zooming, but hopefully it looks as impressive as it felt at the time. This is out behind my house. I was 40 feet away with nothing in between us when this picture was taken. I was surprised he let me get this close, and in 20 years of living here, no hawk has come this close to the house before. Really fun to see!
    You concluded it was a Red-shouldered Hawk?
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  8. #588
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Great Falls Va + Avalon NJ
    Great shot Phredd3!!

  9. #589
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You concluded it was a Red-shouldered Hawk?
    Yes, that much seemed plenty apparent.

  10. #590
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Forgot to mention that my wife got me an owl box for my birthday. They nest early - as early as January - so I’ll be putting it up in fall. Have a section of good size pines that overlook my quiet back acre. Think that’s the best bet.

    Excited. Skeptical that I’ll have success but excited.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My parents have an owl box. Have really enjoyed it for several years. Lots of great (telephoto) pics of younglings.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUBARDoorBuster View Post
    We put up an owl box in Western NC, facing NW at a random height, approx 12 feet high. No activity until house wrens for a few years. Found out later that Eastern Screech owls..
    1. Live elsewhere during the non-breeding time, and find nesting areas lower to the ground.
    2. Like to find previous nests and settle in
    Got to see a pair of Eastern Screech Owls, grey dad and rufus red mom, during feedings of the baby, then watched the fledging of the baby. Apparently they come down to a lower height so the first flight is not as risky. Also great photos, videos, but the pair did not return due to the outrageous paparazi. So maybe put a nest in the box when you put it up? Does this page do photos?

    Finally started the process of putting up my barred owl box. This afternoon I cleared out a few branches from a Douglas Fir tree on the back half of my property that overlooks a field and then runs into private forest land. Cleared the branches to create a clear glide path in and out, which was recommended. Proximity to evergreens was also recommended for roosting. This will be IN the evergreen but I figure so long as the glide path is okay, then it should be fine.

    Going to fill it with cedar chips and pine needles tomorrow morning and actually mount it. Probably 12ish feet up. Saw a recommendation to put metal flashing around the tree to deter raccoons but they'd be able to access from other branch pathways.

    Male barreds start looking for nesting hollows as early as January around here so Nov/Dec was the recommended time to get it up. I heard a few in the dead of night last week so I know they're around. Will post pictures when I get it up.

  11. #591
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Finally started the process of putting up my barred owl box. This afternoon I cleared out a few branches from a Douglas Fir tree on the back half of my property that overlooks a field and then runs into private forest land. Cleared the branches to create a clear glide path in and out, which was recommended. Proximity to evergreens was also recommended for roosting. This will be IN the evergreen but I figure so long as the glide path is okay, then it should be fine.

    Going to fill it with cedar chips and pine needles tomorrow morning and actually mount it. Probably 12ish feet up. Saw a recommendation to put metal flashing around the tree to deter raccoons but they'd be able to access from other branch pathways.

    Male barreds start looking for nesting hollows as early as January around here so Nov/Dec was the recommended time to get it up. I heard a few in the dead of night last week so I know they're around. Will post pictures when I get it up.
    whoa, if a barred owl doesn't move in, I may. Sounds deluxe. Do you have satellite TV in the box?

  12. #592
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    whoa, if a barred owl doesn't move in, I may. Sounds deluxe. Do you have satellite TV in the box?
    Owl pellets only, no budwom pellets!

  13. #593
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Finally started the process of putting up my barred owl box. This afternoon I cleared out a few branches from a Douglas Fir tree on the back half of my property that overlooks a field and then runs into private forest land. Cleared the branches to create a clear glide path in and out, which was recommended. Proximity to evergreens was also recommended for roosting. This will be IN the evergreen but I figure so long as the glide path is okay, then it should be fine.

    Going to fill it with cedar chips and pine needles tomorrow morning and actually mount it. Probably 12ish feet up. Saw a recommendation to put metal flashing around the tree to deter raccoons but they'd be able to access from other branch pathways.

    Male barreds start looking for nesting hollows as early as January around here so Nov/Dec was the recommended time to get it up. I heard a few in the dead of night last week so I know they're around. Will post pictures when I get it up.
    Just remember how to answer the owl's perpetual question -- "I cook for myself, dammit!"
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  14. #594
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    My brother lives about 2.5 miles from me. He was telling me recently about an owl in his woods. We have barred owls all around us. Said one night it sounded like it was at the foot of his bed.

    I was jealous.

  15. #595
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    My brother lives about 2.5 miles from me. He was telling me recently about an owl in his woods. We have barred owls all around us. Said one night it sounded like it was at the foot of his bed.

    I was jealous.
    Of an owl at the foot of his bed? Sounds creepy as heck to me!

  16. #596
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Of an owl at the foot of his bed? Sounds creepy as heck to me!
    I love them! I was jealous that he got to hear it so close. I can sit and listen to them for hours.

  17. #597
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I love them! I was jealous that he got to hear it so close. I can sit and listen to them for hours.
    Same here but I still don't want 'em in the sack with me! Well, maybe the Northern Saw-Whet Owl...those little things are CUTE!

  18. #598
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Just remember how to answer the owl's perpetual question -- "I cook for myself, dammit!"
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    My brother lives about 2.5 miles from me. He was telling me recently about an owl in his woods. We have barred owls all around us. Said one night it sounded like it was at the foot of his bed.

    I was jealous.
    Apropos of absolutely nothing, I had this recurring nightmare as a kid about a menace at the foot of the bed. I grew up on the SC coast and caught blue crabs either intentionally or accidentally. I knew how strong their claws were. The recurring dream was that the evil pinchers were at the foot of the bed and trying to grab my feet. The reason I remembered the nightmare was, when I would tuck my knees up under my chin to escape the threat, my legs cramped. I would wake up in terror, and I had to persuade myself it was safe to extend my legs and get rid of the cramps.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  19. #599
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Apropos of absolutely nothing, I had this recurring nightmare as a kid about a menace at the foot of the bed. I grew up on the SC coast and caught blue crabs either intentionally or accidentally. I knew how strong their claws were. The recurring dream was that the evil pinchers were at the foot of the bed and trying to grab my feet. The reason I remembered the nightmare was, when I would tuck my knees up under my chin to escape the threat, my legs cramped. I would wake up in terror, and I had to persuade myself it was safe to extend my legs and get rid of the cramps.
    I love blue crabs too. In a drastically different way, though. Prefer them dipped in melted butter.

  20. #600
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Apropos of absolutely nothing, I had this recurring nightmare as a kid about a menace at the foot of the bed. I grew up on the SC coast and caught blue crabs either intentionally or accidentally. I knew how strong their claws were. The recurring dream was that the evil pinchers were at the foot of the bed and trying to grab my feet. The reason I remembered the nightmare was, when I would tuck my knees up under my chin to escape the threat, my legs cramped. I would wake up in terror, and I had to persuade myself it was safe to extend my legs and get rid of the cramps.
    My wife has regular night terrors. She'll wake up screaming that something or someone is above her or in the room. One night when we were living in Utah she woke up screaming. It, of course, roused me out of my own dead sleep and I said, "What's wrong!?!?"
    "There's someone in the room," she said.
    I sprung up, trying to prepare for battle.
    "Where?"
    She pointed toward the door. "Little people, in bear costumes at the end of the bed."
    I looked at her.
    She looked at me.
    I looked at her.
    "I may have been dreaming," she said and then collapsed back into the pillows and promptly went back to sleep.

    She barely remembered it in the morning.

Similar Threads

  1. Deer Feeding Trough In Maine Live Cameras
    By Devilwin in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-18-2020, 06:08 PM
  2. ForThose That Feed The Birds.
    By Devilwin in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-25-2019, 05:57 PM
  3. Feeding the birds in winter.
    By Devilwin in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-20-2018, 10:46 AM
  4. Cheats v dirty birds
    By Fish80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-23-2017, 01:17 AM
  5. Soccer and Angry Birds collide @UNC-Asheville
    By 94duke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 11:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •