Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 431
  1. #401
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Great Falls Va
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Nice pic! What's your lens of choice for that sort of shot? Heck, what's the camera between you and it?

    -jk
    Thank you - I am very much an amateur but learning a lot from some experts I’ve encountered here.

    I have a Canon Rebel SL1. I believe I was using a Canon 75-300mm zoom lens for this shot. A week or two ago I purchased a Sigma 150-600mm lens. It’s a game changer for me - couldn’t love it more.

    The hardest part here is that they are most active at dusk and after and getting enough light for the shot. I have had no luck getting a high quality action shot of one in flight.

  2. #402
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    I’m at the Jersey shore - all the way at the bottom (Cape May County). Fascinating to hear they are as far south as VA and NC. They are coming from the Arctic - I thought we were as far south as they went. Apparently years go by without seeing them here - everyone once in a while there is a population “eruption” and you can see them down here. I am trying to make the most of the opportunity.
    Sounds like it's an "irruption" year for Snowy Owls. Usually this occurs when there is some disruption in the food supply up north, most likely in the population of rodents or other prey.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  3. #403
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Great Falls Va

    Snowy Up close and personal

    A732B520-37C7-4AAA-B628-20AC0D003791.jpg

    Here’s a more close up shot to give you a better feel for what they look like. You can see a hint of the orange eyes here.

  4. #404
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Great Falls Va
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sounds like it's an "irruption" year for Snowy Owls. Usually this occurs when there is some disruption in the food supply up north, most likely in the population of rodents or other prey.
    That’s right - thanks for getting the “irruption” right. Like I said my first time through this.

  5. #405
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    It is also an irruption year for evening grosbeaks, pine siskins and purple finches.

  6. #406
    Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    A732B520-37C7-4AAA-B628-20AC0D003791.jpg

    Here’s a more close up shot to give you a better feel for what they look like. You can see a hint of the orange eyes here.
    If it isn't too nosy, where are you?

  7. #407
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Some snowy owls are visitors to the Outer Banks of NC every year. A dozen were spotted on Ocracoke in the winter of 2013/2014.

  8. #408
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Three snowys were seen in 2017/ 2018 in winter on Pea Island as well.

  9. #409
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Great Falls Va

    Snowy in Flight

    0A5A3C54-E4E4-4CF4-A97A-C46DE8C119A3.jpg

    Apologies - I feel like I am hijacking this thread. After attempts to numerous to measure, I finally got one of the snowy in flight - highlighting its incredible wingspan (I believe 4 feet wide).

  10. #410
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Great Falls Va
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    If it isn't too nosy, where are you?
    I am in Cape May County NJ (very bottom of NJ coast).

  11. #411
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    I am in Cape May County NJ (very bottom of NJ coast).
    Do you ever run into Sibley, Pete Dunne, Michael O'Brien or the other well-known birders who are there?
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  12. #412
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    0A5A3C54-E4E4-4CF4-A97A-C46DE8C119A3.jpg

    Apologies - I feel like I am hijacking this thread. After attempts to numerous to measure, I finally got one of the snowy in flight - highlighting its incredible wingspan (I believe 4 feet wide).
    Wow. That's an awesome photo - well done!

  13. #413
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    0A5A3C54-E4E4-4CF4-A97A-C46DE8C119A3.jpg

    Apologies - I feel like I am hijacking this thread. After attempts to numerous to measure, I finally got one of the snowy in flight - highlighting its incredible wingspan (I believe 4 feet wide).
    Nice shot!

  14. #414
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    0A5A3C54-E4E4-4CF4-A97A-C46DE8C119A3.jpg

    Apologies - I feel like I am hijacking this thread. After attempts to numerous to measure, I finally got one of the snowy in flight - highlighting its incredible wingspan (I believe 4 feet wide).
    I would absolutely poop if I saw Hedwig in person! Great pics, I am jealous!

  15. #415
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I would absolutely poop if I saw Hedwig in person! Great pics, I am jealous!
    Made me laugh. Can’t spork.

  16. #416
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Betcha don't have one of these at your feeder: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/4554937001/

  17. #417
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Just saw male and female house finches at my feeder.

  18. #418
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    They are frequent guests at my feeders, but my purple finches are becoming rare here now.

  19. #419
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northwest NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    They are frequent guests at my feeders, but my purple finches are becoming rare here now.
    Yep I've only seen a couple Purples this week. Almost all gone. Still have tons of house finches, gold finches and the other usual suspects hitting the feeders. Spring isn't far now and I'm looking forward to the migrants coming.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

  20. #420
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Thomasville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Yep I've only seen a couple Purples this week. Almost all gone. Still have tons of house finches, gold finches and the other usual suspects hitting the feeders. Spring isn't far now and I'm looking forward to the migrants coming.
    Especially the rose breasted grosbeaks..

Similar Threads

  1. Deer Feeding Trough In Maine Live Cameras
    By Devilwin in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-18-2020, 05:08 PM
  2. ForThose That Feed The Birds.
    By Devilwin in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-25-2019, 04:57 PM
  3. Feeding the birds in winter.
    By Devilwin in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-20-2018, 09:46 AM
  4. Cheats v dirty birds
    By Fish80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-23-2017, 12:17 AM
  5. Soccer and Angry Birds collide @UNC-Asheville
    By 94duke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •