Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    phenomenally lovely bird when seen up close...several years ago a Coopers took a run at our bird feeder, then veered into our living room window, doink...spectacular markings...
    At a nature center near our house, a barn owl smacked the window so hard it left an impression.

phenomenally lovely bird when seen up close...several years ago a Coopers took a run at our bird feeder, then veered into our living room window, doink...spectacular markings...
    I have had them fly fairly close to me. Swooping past from tree to tree. I came upon one near work, it looked like it was digging for something in the dirt. It flew right past my face. So, yeah, I have had really good looks at their markings. My mom took a pic of one preening on her deck.

If there are hawks watching your feeder it is almost certainly a Coopers or its lookalike smaller cousin the sharp shinned. Goshawk also in cooler regions. These birds are in the Accipiter group, which are mainly bird eaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    If there are hawks watching your feeder it is almost certainly a Coopers or its lookalike smaller cousin the sharp shinned. Goshawk also in cooler regions. These birds are in the Accipiter group, which are mainly bird eaters.
    Thanks.

Yeah, I was pretty sure it was a Cooper's hawk. My next-door neighbor was all fired up about seeing an eagle in my yard recently. Well, I'm not him, and maybe he saw one when i wasn't even home, but i suspect he saw the Cooper's hawk and thought it was an eagle.

Even though it is not an eagle and doesn't have an 80-inch wing span, it was still a pretty impressive sight.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

slate juncos just blew into town, munching lots of seed...they spend a week or so, then off they go...

I think a rough winter could be in the cards.. So many winter finches this early.. Friend of mine has evening grosbeaks at his feeders in Madison NC..

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    At a nature center near our house, a barn owl smacked the window so hard it left an impression.
    I cry Fowl! Leaving a stain, perhaps, but leaving an "impression"? What was the window made of?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I cry Fowl! Leaving a stain, perhaps, but leaving an "impression"? What was the window made of?

-jk
    I've definitely had birds leave a grease stain where you can see the outline of individual feathers, but not an impression per se...

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    I've definitely had birds leave a grease stain where you can see the outline of individual feathers, but not an impression per se...
    Well, it definitely made an impression on everyone who saw-whet!

Nah, it was a barn owl. Maybe impression wasn't the best choice of words. I'll eat that crow.

I saw a saw whet owl at Stone Mountain sp a few years ago.

I saw a saw whet owl at Stone Mountain sp a few years ago.
    Nice. How/where'd you spot it? I've only ever seen them with a handler. Imagine they're tough to spot as little and shy as they are.

There is a little grove of cedar trees on the Roaring River near the old church. He was sitting on a branch next to the trunk with his eyes closed, snoozing away.

pine siskins and slate juncos hitting The Grand Buffet with great exuberance, picking thru the snow to get their seeds...

No siskins today, but purple finches in abundance. A few house finches, downy woodpeckers,white breasted nuthatches, ,Carolina chickadees, titmice, Carolina wren.

They are really sometimes easy to call up with a recording especially in winter in the NC mountains.

No siskins today, but purple finches in abundance. A few house finches, downy woodpeckers,white breasted nuthatches, ,Carolina chickadees, titmice, Carolina wren.
    Presumably the tufted variety? We get those at our feeder once in a while.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Yes. All titmice have tufts. Their close relatives the chickadees do not. Just looked out at the feeder and there are five pine siskins and a handful of goldfinches on the nyger feeder now, the sunflower feeders are covered with purple and house finches. And a few cardinals also eating sunflower seed and now a brown headed nuthatch joining the white breasted on the suet.

There is a little grove of cedar trees on the Roaring River near the old church. He was sitting on a branch next to the trunk with his eyes closed, snoozing away.
    I live 20 minutes from Stone Mountain so I'm up there all the time. Saw a Barred Owl on the loop trail last year. Love to hear those things call at night. Not bird related but my buddy had a black bear cross the road in front of him not far from the lower parking lot two weeks ago.

I saw a female Golden Crowned Kinglet in my yard Sunday and a Purple Finch as well.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Had two golden crowned kinglets hanging around the suet over the weekend. Just had a pine warbler drop by as well.

No kidding. Middle of the day? That’s a fun sighting.