Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Bagged a pileated woodpecker in the Smokies last weekend.
    Attachment 11695
    Attachment 11696
    Attachment 11697
    There was one in my North Asheville neighborhood most of the spring. They are surprisingly large and beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    There was one in my North Asheville neighborhood most of the spring. They are surprisingly large and beautiful.
    I was doodling around in the garage the other day, putting some stuff away for Winter, and heard a robust pounding on the wall, went outside to find a pileated blowing away my siding. We have quite a few around, usually well behaved, but I'm not keen on them adjusting my siding.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Bagged a pileated woodpecker in the Smokies last weekend.
    Attachment 11695
    Attachment 11696
    Attachment 11697
    Nice. They have pretty distinctive calls. I'm on the coast of SC this week and lots of them flitting around the pines.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Nice. They have pretty distinctive calls. I'm on the coast of SC this week and lots of them flitting around the pines.
    Keep an eye out for the Red-cockaded Woodpecker -- a rara avis but fairly common in long-leaf pines along the SC coast. White cheek -- very obvious white cheek.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

NC has some too. I have seen them near Pinehurst and Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    NC has some too. I have seen them near Pinehurst and Aberdeen.
    I agree, in fact, the Red-cockaded Woodpecker seems to be the most common woodpecker on the golf courses near Pinehurst.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I was walking through my community in Vegas yesterday and saw about 30 Gambel’s Quail. Pretty cool to see in person. They were fast little suckers. I didn’t have my phone on me to get a pic but maybe I’ll see them around again.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I was walking through my community in Vegas yesterday and saw about 30 Gambel’s Quail. Pretty cool to see in person. They were fast little suckers. I didn’t have my phone on me to get a pic but maybe I’ll see them around again.
    When I lived in Utah, I saw my first live Roadrunner as it ran across the road (I know, right!). They really do run fast and the body doesn't really move, just the legs. Pretty interesting to see in person.

I actually saw a coyote while out there also. Not at the same time. Not chasing the roadrunner. But still.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    When I lived in Utah, I saw my first live Roadrunner as it ran across the road (I know, right!). They really do run fast and the body doesn't really move, just the legs. Pretty interesting to see in person.

I actually saw a coyote while out there also. Not at the same time. Not chasing the roadrunner. But still.
    Probably waiting for UPS to deliver the latest package from ACME.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Probably waiting for UPS to deliver the latest package from ACME.
    I bet he doesn't look up.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Or down...until it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    That would be FedEx Air.

Had a flock of pine siskins today at my feeders. Earliest I've ever seen these cousins of the goldfinch in my area..

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Had a flock of pine siskins today at my feeders. Earliest I've ever seen these cousins of the goldfinch in my area..
    I love those guys...they migrate thru in very large numbers, though I've yet to see them this Fall...they really like it when I put a lot of seed on my deck railing.

Yesterday I was enjoying possibly our last 70 degree day until next Spring, reading a book on the deck, and a chickadee briefly landed on my shoulder...scared the poo out of me, him too, must have thought I look like a dead tree or something.

Pine siskins have been joined by around 20 purple finches now.

In the past two weeks i have seen two huge birds of prey in my yard. I thought perhaps they were Cooper's hawks, but my next-door neighbor says they were eagles. Both of them stood about 16 or 17 inches tall (rough estimate). Big, big birds, easily as large or larger than my 7-month-old kitten.
    On the first occasion he stood right on top of the bird feeder and just sat there for a while. Didn't eat anything from the feeder. Just yesterday he (or another one that looked exactly the same) was sitting on the roof of my neighbor's shed, surveying the area, presumably for a tasty morsel. We have plenty of squirrels around here, so I've no doubt he found what he was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    In the past two weeks i have seen two huge birds of prey in my yard. I thought perhaps they were Cooper's hawks, but my next-door neighbor says they were eagles. Both of them stood about 16 or 17 inches tall (rough estimate). Big, big birds, easily as large or larger than my 7-month-old kitten.
    On the first occasion he stood right on top of the bird feeder and just sat there for a while. Didn't eat anything from the feeder. Just yesterday he (or another one that looked exactly the same) was sitting on the roof of my neighbor's shed, surveying the area, presumably for a tasty morsel. We have plenty of squirrels around here, so I've no doubt he found what he was looking for.
    Cooper’s Hawk are notorious for hunting the bird feeders but wouldn’t be mistaken for an eagle, even a juvenile.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Cooper’s Hawk are notorious for hunting the bird feeders but wouldn’t be mistaken for an eagle, even a juvenile.
    It would probably be a Cooper's Hawk or perhaps a female of the smaller Sharp-shinned. (Females are larger than the males among hawks.) Eagle? On top of your feeder, it would look six-feet tall and could induce a heart attack in an observer. The Bald Eagle, much more common in the Eastern US than the Golden, is 31 inches from beak to tail with a wingspread of 80 inches.
    Sage Grouse

We have mostly Coopers around my house, and they are relatively small. Red-tails are sometimes seen here and are significantly bigger. They both like to sit and watch for long periods of time, and the squirrels are NOWHERE to be seen. Wish they'd do it more often, or better yet, eat more squirrels. One little @#$%^! dug up my basil the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    We have mostly Coopers around my house, and they are relatively small. Red-tails are sometimes seen here and are significantly bigger. They both like to sit and watch for long periods of time, and the squirrels are NOWHERE to be seen. Wish they'd do it more often, or better yet, eat more squirrels. One little @#$%^! dug up my basil the other day.
    phenomenally lovely bird when seen up close...several years ago a Coopers took a run at our bird feeder, then veered into our living room window, doink...spectacular markings...