Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TeacherTom View Post
    I’ve been teaching online in West Palm Beach since March and have my feeder set up where I see it all day from my desk. From time to time, wild parrots visit and love the sunflower seeds. Actually, I believe they are members of the parakeet family although much larger than those sold as pets.
    Five pages of parrots "and their allies" in the Sibley bird guide -- almost all "introduced" species, though many have established themselves in the wild in FL and CA.

One way to narrow it down is to look at the tail: if it is long and pointed, then its some kind of parakeet (or, very unlikely, a cockatoo). Now you're down to three pages. In Florida, check out the budgerigars -- "budgies," widely sold as pets and seen in large numbers in the wild. They have a long thin yellow stripe the entire length of their wings and a really "flat" face (the beak does not protrude much).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Extremely interesting, thank you.

Don't you mean a cockatiel? Cocktoos have blunt tails.

Monk parakeets from Argentina also have pointed tails and have been established in many states.

From the pictures, it appears that they are Monk Parakeets.

From the pictures, it appears that they are Monk Parakeets.
    That mystery solved!
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Last week, the wind blew a limb down in my yard that had this attached.

IMG_2214.jpg

I think it's a Baltimore Oriole nest - contains my dog's hair and tied nicely to the branch with a blue string.
    ~rthomas

That is truly amazing! My wife has been cutting my hair in the backyard where we hope the birds are able to recycle it. Do you have a certain season where you see the orioles? We have the painted buntings in the winter months.

Yes, typically we see them in the spring. We put cut oranges in the feeder for them. But I had never seen them nest, although I saw this nest in the tree and thought from afar that it was a hornets nest.
    ~rthomas

I’m going to share your picture with my students Monday. I’ve been staying and teaching from a cabin in Pipestem State Park in West Virginia for the last month. I was able to take my laptop on the porch and share live shots of the deer who come every day to visit and occasionally an extremely small woodpecker as well as a very large one as well. My urban kids have ever seen anything like that and are grateful for the chance. I’m returning to Florida Sunday and the memories will live on.
    Last edited by TeacherTom; 11-26-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Large Thumb

That is truly amazing! My wife has been cutting my hair in the backyard where we hope the birds are able to recycle it. Do you have a certain season where you see the orioles? We have the painted buntings in the winter months.
    In the South and Southeast, Baltimore Orioles breed in the Piedmont (above the "Fall Line"), not the Atlantic Coastal Plain. No luck in FL, except birds in migration and a few (very few?) winter holdovers along the South Atlantic Coast. In my experience in the Maryland Piedmont, I expect to see Orioles in sycamore trees, but they nest elsewhere too.

You can get Orchard Orioles, brick red versions, in the coastal plain. One bird map shows the Orchard Oriole breeding in North Florida.
    Sage Grouse

Have you seen the buntings? They are beyond beautiful.

Yes, near Charleston. I agree.
    Sage Grouse

I have seen these in coastal SC.
    ~rthomas

Today the birds are feeding us?

When I teach situational irony, I am always looking for great examples. I just found one! Thank you!

I've seen the Eastern Bluebirds everyday this week. The first day I have out the new meal-worm food, no sign of them. Oh well, it's keeping the Titmice happy.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Painted buntings sometimes winter along the NC coast. Very unusual for a finch to move north. Huntington Beach State Park in SC is a good place to find them..I saw a male near Pittsboro, NC a few years ago.

I've seen Baltimore orioles twice. First time was winter of 2008 near Shallotte NC. Saw a nesting pair in an apple orchard last year near Pilot Mountain, NC.
    I see orchard orioles most years in summer. They are much more common across NC than Baltimores.

I’m going to share your picture with my students Monday. I’ve been staying and teaching from a cabin in Pipestem State Park in West Virginia for the last month. I was able to take my laptop on the porch and share live shots of the deer who come every day to visit and occasionally an extremely small woodpecker as well as a very large one as well. My urban kids have ever seen anything like that and are grateful for the chance. I’m returning to Florida Sunday and the memories will live on.
    My family and I went to Pipestem for summer vacations back in the day. Saw a ton of deer there. Really enjoyed both their golf courses, too. Shot 78 last time I played there, which just added to the lure of the place for me.

I’m In Asheville now until Sunday. Walking at the Biltmore Estate today, we saw at least ten bluebirds. They are the most magnificent hue of blue. I have never seen them in Florida and am thrilled every time I see one.