R.I.P. Robbie Robertson of The Band

They put out so much great music, and he was a fine guitarist. The Last Waltz is one of the best concert films of all time. Garth Hudson is now the only one left.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...s-80-rcna99107

R.I.P.
    Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote. - George Jean Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    They put out so much great music, and he was a fine guitarist. The Last Waltz is one of the best concert films of all time. Garth Hudson is now the only one left.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...s-80-rcna99107

R.I.P.
    Sad.

I really recommend the documentary “Once Were Brothers” about The Band. Although mainly told from Robbie’s side, not Levon’s.

A great talent, to be sure.

Book

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sad.

I really recommend the documentary “Once Were Brothers” about The Band. Although mainly told from Robbie’s side, not Levon’s.

The book "Levon" is excellent, although it does paint Robertson in not very attractive light. Helm and Robertson had a complete falling out.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I enjoyed his solo work lots. When I'm up late painting, his songs Somewhere Down The Crazy River and more than a couple from the album Music for The Native Americans are on my playlist.
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 08-10-2023 at 09:26 AM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Tremendous songwriter and highly underrated as a guitarist. Not as flashy as many of his contemporaries but had a distinctive sound that blended seamlessly in the group dynamic. Musically anyway….

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Tremendous songwriter and highly underrated as a guitarist. Not as flashy as many of his contemporaries but had a distinctive sound that blended seamlessly in the group dynamic. Musically anyway….
    “King Harvest (Has Surely Come)” and “It Makes No Difference” are masterclasses in the art of saying a lot with a relative handful of notes.

Here's The Weight, written by Robbie Robertson, as performed by a large Playing For Change ensemble that includes Robertson and many others. As far as I can tell, it was done in 2018 celebrating the 50th anniversary of the song. The end of the video tells you that Robertson approved of this version.

RIP, RR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1GU1qQ1zQ
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Here's The Weight, written by Robbie Robertson, as performed by a large Playing For Change ensemble that includes Robertson and many others. As far as I can tell, it was done in 2018 celebrating the 50th anniversary of the song. The end of the video tells you that Robertson approved of this version.

RIP, RR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1GU1qQ1zQ
    I had seen that video a couple of times before, but it was definitely worth another watch. Thanks.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sad.

I take it mustaches were popular in the early 70’s??

But seriously, Robbie Robertson was a good one. I recommend y’all check out his 1994 album “Music for The Native Americans”. Very interesting and atmospheric.

Goodbye, Robbie. 😢

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    But seriously, Robbie Robertson was a good one. I recommend y’all check out his 1994 album “Music for The Native Americans”. Very interesting and atmospheric.

Goodbye, Robbie. 😢
    I mentioned that one up above, too. It's an album, but it's also a soundtrack. I never knew that when I first heard it; I just loved the music. I think I heard some of it first on a local NPR nightly music show. Admittedly I have yet to see the series.
    Given the timing, I think I'll try to correct that this weekend if I can dig it up.
    Here's more on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_...tive_Americans
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

These threads are way too often and always a bummer!

Love Robbie’s music! May he RIP!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Amen.
    Bob Green

I had never known his mom was a Native Canadian who grew up on a reservation near Toronto...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Therefore, send not to know
    For whom the bell tolls,
    It tolls for thee.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Therefore, send not to know
    For whom the bell tolls,
    It tolls for thee.
    'A piece of the continent, a part of the main.'

Levon Helm’s autobiography is interesting as is the Across the Great Divide written by a journalist mainly from Robbie’s perspective. When seeing The Band play you are struck by their versatility. All but Robbie played multiple instruments and 3 were good singers.