Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Cardinals in the snow are always a delight!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Cardinals in the snow are always a delight!
    That will be the occasion of my next visit to the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel. My previous visit was so deathly crowded, I ain't going again during normal tourist times.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

This cold weather has usher in several flocks of evening grosbeaks across NC. I counted six at my feeders today, gorging on sunflower seeds.

I am currently reading The Snow Geese by William Fiennes. It’s a travelogue/memoire about the author after he recovers from a major illness and decides to follow the snow goose migration from Texas to the Arctic.

So far so good.

Here's a White Crowned Sparrow looking to score some seeds in the snow this morning...
    217E60C0-3FC6-4692-879F-89B87B2F72AE.jpg
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Here's a White Crowned Sparrow looking to score some seeds in the snow this morning...
    Nice shot.

We’re getting snow right now. I’m enjoying watching my winter regulars in it.

Love the anhinga.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Love the anhinga.
    Very cool find for me. I did not think they came this far north or inland in the U.S. (conjunction of the coastal plain and the beginning of the Piedmont, along the Savannah River). That was likely in November too IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    On the river recently:

(sorry they are sideways)
    Very cool pics. I have found that if I edit pics from my iphone, like maybe crop off just a little of the top or bottom, that they seem to load properly on here. I'm not saying it works 100% but more often than not.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Very cool pics. I have found that if I edit pics from my iphone, like maybe crop off just a little of the top or bottom, that they seem to load properly on here. I'm not saying it works 100% but more often than not.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Very cool find for me. I did not think they came this far north or inland in the S. conjuntion of the coastal plain and the beginning of the Piedmont, along the Savannah River). That was likely in November too IIRC.
    I have seen them near Shallote, in the Green Swamp below Lake Waccamaw.. Very common there.

Not to mention the female cardinal in the background.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Not to mention the female cardinal in the background.
    Nice catch! The cardinals have been out in force the past week or two. It is not uncommon for me to see a dozen at a time at and around the feeders these days.

Also saw this Pine Warbler yesterday...
    P1000944.jpg

BED51A32-94E6-41D1-9EEB-754D96704396.jpg

7016AB3E-0648-4242-BC0E-EA6029C29AF8.jpg

Wednesday during my lunch walk, before the cold front came in.

Got this Cooper's Hawk after it tried to terrorize the birds at my feeder earlier this week.
    781786D3-D103-4DB7-9570-FE1BDFF5712D.jpg

Got this Cooper's Hawk after it tried to terrorize the birds at my feeder earlier this week.
    781786D3-D103-4DB7-9570-FE1BDFF5712D.jpg
    Sharp-shinned hawk? Small head, coarse brown streaks. But, of course, size matters -- sharp-shinned are smaller.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sharp-shinned hawk? Small head, coarse brown streaks. But, of course, size matters -- sharp-shinned are smaller.
    Yeah Coopers and Sharpies look very similar but size is the main difference. This one was big, not quite as large as a Red Shoulder but definitely bigger than a Sharp Shinned.

Y'all might enjoy some of the HD On Tap wildlife livestreams.

https://hdontap.com/

There are a couple trained on eagles' nests in Pennsylvania. Eagle is on the nest in the one below as of this posting.

https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/...eagle-live-cam

They've also got some in owl boxes, at feeders, in migratory destinations for snow geese, sand hill cranes and other species. Obviously, some of these are only interesting and active during certain times of year.

They also have mammal stuff. Pffft.

I've been seeing bluebirds again recently, after we failed to get them to nest in our yard last year because we put up two houses too close together.
    I took down the oldest of the feeders last fall, so now we have only one, and it's a nice one. Really hoping that the bluebirds will choose our yard!