Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940
    A guy who lives near here was working from home last week when he heard a DEFCON 1 crow ruckus* in his yard. It lasted long enough for him to investigate, and he found that his 35 lb. dog was pinned against the house by a bobcat who would not relent...the guy threw stuff at the bobcat but it would not relent, seemed intent on killing the dog, so ultimately he found a big rock and brained the bobcat...killed him dead. Did not please him at all, but the bobcat was taking no hints.

* crows are good at this, getting stirred up en masse to take on hawks, another favorite is to dive bomb foxes...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    A guy who lives near here was working from home last week when he heard a DEFCON 1 crow ruckus* in his yard. It lasted long enough for him to investigate, and he found that his 35 lb. dog was pinned against the house by a bobcat who would not relent...the guy threw stuff at the bobcat but it would not relent, seemed intent on killing the dog, so ultimately he found a big rock and brained the bobcat...killed him dead. Did not please him at all, but the bobcat was taking no hints.

* crows are good at this, getting stirred up en masse to take on hawks, another favorite is to dive bomb foxes...
    Get a crow call .easy to do they will come. I do it at work all the time.
    They say you can feed and train them to bring you specific things.
    Maybe when I retire .

Bobcats have no fear .i was turkey hunting Called one straight in .I was sitting up against a oak .had me worried.it looked at me like it was going to pimp slap me.
    I poked him with the Barrel he/she hissed and walked off .

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Very cool. I had a bard owl hooting right outside my bedroom window a couple of years back. Looked out the window, he was three feet away.
    There’s been a hoot owl howling by my window now for six nights in a row…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKU8O5BZ2yw

Day shift is turning in for the night.
    Pics are shakes my bad.

Osprey scouting for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

So — it was a murder of crows?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So — it was a murder of crows?
    Indirectly for sure! Just saw our lovely animal control officer, yesterday five cows and their calves got loose on the road next to ours, had to round 'em up!

Quote Originally Posted by missfinch View Post
    There’s been a hoot owl howling by my window now for six nights in a row…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKU8O5BZ2yw
    Without clicking the link, I have just one word 'Wildfire!'

I was reading recently about two forms of “fire hawks” in Australia. They learned that when there is a bush fire, small rodents flee before the fire line and the hawks find easy flushed prey. So, these hawks learned to pick up smoldering twigs and fly them over streams and such, then they drop them into new brush and start another fire to flush fresh prey.

Nature? Evolution? Drone programming? I report — you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Without clicking the link, I have just one word 'Wildfire!'
    Ding! Ding! Ding!!

IMG_1551.jpgIMG_1409.jpgIMG_1467.jpgIMG_1485.jpg

Puffins from our recent visit to Acadia (off the coast of Petit Manan). Couldn't believe how small they were - these are using my sigma 600mm lens. I believe they are just about to leave to head out to sea for the winter.