Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    The migrants are coming through now. I took a trip Saturday up to Moses Cone on the parkway to see if I could see any. Here are some pics...

Also saw an American Redstart, Black and White Warbler and several others but wasn't able to get good pics.
    Those are amazing pictures, if all taken on one day. Really amazing. Warblers are notoriously difficult to photograph -- flitty little creatures, always chasing bugs.

Did I mention that these photos are truly spectacular?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Those are amazing pictures, if all taken on one day. Really amazing. Warblers are notoriously difficult to photograph -- flitty little creatures, always chasing bugs.

Did I mention that these photos are truly spectacular?
    Thanks and yes I did get all those this past Saturday. I couldn't agree more about warblers being tough to photograph. They are constantly moving, never staying still longer than a few seconds. I cannot tell you how many times I would get focused and begin pressing the shutter button only for them to fly a millisecond too soon!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

I wish I could show a picture taken at my friend’s house Sunday at Cedar Key. He has a telephone pole in the water by his dock with a platform for ospreys to nest. He keeps a camera on a tripod readily focused on nest as there are three young. Dad was coming into the nest with outstretched wings with a mullet in each claw. It is a gorgeous sight.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    They’re pursuing a leveraged buyout of the suet so no other birds get it?
    This reference deserves Sporkz, but alas I am not able to do so presently.

first hummingbird wandered by moments ago, sun is shining, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    first hummingbird wandered by moments ago, sun is shining, it's all good.
    In Vermont?! I haven't seen one yet in PA.

I'm not sure this is the migration map you had in mind but it's one:

https://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/h...g-2021-map.htm

In Vermont?! I haven't seen one yet in PA.

I'm not sure this is the migration map you had in mind but it's one:

https://www.hummingbirdcentral.com/h...g-2021-map.htm
    we have at least three in the area today...this map (if I can link it) is from a previous year, the site can't update any more):http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

There is an old dead stump in my yard with above ground rotting roots. A pileated woodpecker was absolutely banging away at the roots today. Just standing on the ground jackhammering like a cartoon woody. Really funny.

There is an old dead stump in my yard with above ground rotting roots. A pileated woodpecker was absolutely banging away at the roots today. Just standing on the ground jackhammering like a cartoon woody. Really funny.
    I love the pileated woodpeckers. We have a pair who appear to have taken up residence in the forest behind my house. I’ve seen them numerous times in recent weeks, but it still feels like a real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I love the pileated woodpeckers. We have a pair who appear to have taken up residence in the forest behind my house. I’ve seen them numerous times in recent weeks, but it still feels like a real treat.
    their tune is great to hear as well...they really like calling to each other..

We watched one destroying an old rotten log in the trees at the Hardywood West Creek Location, while sipping a Cru or two. (We were sipping, not the woodpecker)
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Saw my very first Scarlet Tanagers at Smith Mountain Lake this morning. I believe a male and female. So bright! I did get a pic really quick of the male, not a great one though, before they moved on. But then I left the camera/SD card up there. I'll post next week. That was a beautiful bird!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Found a nestling robin on my deck and was able to get it back in its nest. Still there today so feeling pretty good.

I’m sure the folks on this thread know this but it’s an old wives tale about mother birds not returning to the nest if their young have been handled by people.

The tactics of Birding Bob --- approve or disapprove?

I have to admit when I hear or see a bird I think I've identified I will play the song with an app on my phone to see if the bird responds so I can make a positive identification. It seems he's going a little farther than just identification purposes and it also seems he couldn't care less about those around him. I try to be respectful of others.

I led a bird trip this morning, and I used songs on my phone to get birds within range. But one needs to avoid overly disturbing birds already on territory, and I wouldn't have done it if my group had objected. Still too early here to get many of the summer residents, but we had a good list of 30-35 birds for a beginner group of birders. The participants were enchanted by the Bullock's Oriole and the Western Tanager, not to mention the Bald Eagle and Swainson's Hawk.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Indigo buntings abound, especially with runners on first and second and no one out...they look especially nice on the shrubs with blossoms...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Calling SageGrouse. (And Budwom)

Call it love or call it obsession, but a woman in New Hampshire says she and her daughters returned from a recent trip to find a wild bird had become bewitched by her husband.

Mary Beth Westward of New London reported the “unusual attachment” May 21 on Facebook, noting a ruffed grouse was following her husband Todd adoringly and chasing others away like “a feathered velociraptor.”
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/wild-bird...140912249.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Odd directorial choice to have a recorder duet as the soundtrack for what is fundamentally a piece about bird sounds. Was a musical accompaniment truly necessary?

Seems to me that Bob fundamentally knows he's being a bit of a jerk but just doesn't care. I disliked him because he is fully aware that he ticks people off and just does what he pleases anyway. Maybe being a minor sociopath is normal in New York, but it doesn't suit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Odd directorial choice to have a recorder duet as the soundtrack for what is fundamentally a piece about bird sounds. Was a musical accompaniment truly necessary?

Seems to me that Bob fundamentally knows he's being a bit of a jerk but just doesn't care. I disliked him because he is fully aware that he ticks people off and just does what he pleases anyway. Maybe being a minor sociopath is normal in New York, but it doesn't suit me.
    He is more than a bit of a jerk; we would not tolerate him in our birding group at Rock Creek Park in DC. I'm not sure we could call the Park Police on the guy, but we might enlist the NPS naturalists to get the uniformed guys and gals to take action.
    Sage Grouse