Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Nice pic! What's your lens of choice for that sort of shot? Heck, what's the camera between you and it?

-jk
    Thank you - I am very much an amateur but learning a lot from some experts I’ve encountered here.

I have a Canon Rebel SL1. I believe I was using a Canon 75-300mm zoom lens for this shot. A week or two ago I purchased a Sigma 150-600mm lens. It’s a game changer for me - couldn’t love it more.

The hardest part here is that they are most active at dusk and after and getting enough light for the shot. I have had no luck getting a high quality action shot of one in flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Utley View Post
    I’m at the Jersey shore - all the way at the bottom (Cape May County). Fascinating to hear they are as far south as VA and NC. They are coming from the Arctic - I thought we were as far south as they went. Apparently years go by without seeing them here - everyone once in a while there is a population “eruption” and you can see them down here. I am trying to make the most of the opportunity.
    Sounds like it's an "irruption" year for Snowy Owls. Usually this occurs when there is some disruption in the food supply up north, most likely in the population of rodents or other prey.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Snowy Up close and personal

A732B520-37C7-4AAA-B628-20AC0D003791.jpg

Here’s a more close up shot to give you a better feel for what they look like. You can see a hint of the orange eyes here.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Sounds like it's an "irruption" year for Snowy Owls. Usually this occurs when there is some disruption in the food supply up north, most likely in the population of rodents or other prey.
    That’s right - thanks for getting the “irruption” right. Like I said my first time through this.

It is also an irruption year for evening grosbeaks, pine siskins and purple finches.

A732B520-37C7-4AAA-B628-20AC0D003791.jpg

Here’s a more close up shot to give you a better feel for what they look like. You can see a hint of the orange eyes here.
    If it isn't too nosy, where are you?

Some snowy owls are visitors to the Outer Banks of NC every year. A dozen were spotted on Ocracoke in the winter of 2013/2014.

Three snowys were seen in 2017/ 2018 in winter on Pea Island as well.

Snowy in Flight

0A5A3C54-E4E4-4CF4-A97A-C46DE8C119A3.jpg

Apologies - I feel like I am hijacking this thread. After attempts to numerous to measure, I finally got one of the snowy in flight - highlighting its incredible wingspan (I believe 4 feet wide).

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    If it isn't too nosy, where are you?
    I am in Cape May County NJ (very bottom of NJ coast).

I am in Cape May County NJ (very bottom of NJ coast).
    Do you ever run into Sibley, Pete Dunne, Michael O'Brien or the other well-known birders who are there?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Apologies - I feel like I am hijacking this thread. After attempts to numerous to measure, I finally got one of the snowy in flight - highlighting its incredible wingspan (I believe 4 feet wide).
    Wow. That's an awesome photo - well done!

Nice shot!

I would absolutely poop if I saw Hedwig in person! Great pics, I am jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I would absolutely poop if I saw Hedwig in person! Great pics, I am jealous!
    Made me laugh. Can’t spork.

Betcha don't have one of these at your feeder: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/4554937001/

Just saw male and female house finches at my feeder.

They are frequent guests at my feeders, but my purple finches are becoming rare here now.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    They are frequent guests at my feeders, but my purple finches are becoming rare here now.
    Yep I've only seen a couple Purples this week. Almost all gone. Still have tons of house finches, gold finches and the other usual suspects hitting the feeders. Spring isn't far now and I'm looking forward to the migrants coming.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Yep I've only seen a couple Purples this week. Almost all gone. Still have tons of house finches, gold finches and the other usual suspects hitting the feeders. Spring isn't far now and I'm looking forward to the migrants coming.
    Especially the rose breasted grosbeaks..