Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    … several favorable mentions of Sam Perkins. I concur.

Sam was a high school classmate of mine (Shaker '80) - and a wonderfully nice person. We weren't much more than friendly acquaintances but knew each other well enough to say hi when our paths crossed at ... an Earth Wind & Fire concert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    LOL, how often did that happen?
    Only once, but I also chuckled at the memory.

Definitely Greensboro Coliseum, and am guessing Sept/October 1981. BBall schedule hadn't commenced for my Sophomore season. But Sam had sure established himself as a freshman - earning ACC Tourney MVP and Rookie of the Year, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    For the record, I only started this thread because a Syracuse(!) fan had already done it about Blue Devils. And since I like to think of us as superior to Syracuse fans . . .

But also, coming up with 5 Orangepeople that I don't hate would require that I remember 5 Orangepeople. We only have one rival. It ain't Syracuse.
    If I start coming up with Orangepeople that I don't hate I'm definitely straying into PPB territory.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    If I start coming up with Orangepeople that I don't hate I'm definitely straying into PPB territory.
    Well.

oompa-loompas.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    A name I haven’t seen yet but who would top my list is Eric Montross. The guy is just a genuinely good person, and a huge benefactor for the Children’s Hospital.
    I'll second this. I was listening to the semis of the 2005 ACC tournament on the radio while driving across NC, so the UNC broadcasts were my best bet for staying tuned. GT beat UNC, and then of course the broadcast team had to turn right around and do the Duke-NC State game. While I can only imagine what a glorious environment that was with the Devils and Pack playing for a spot in the final right after UNC lost, Woody Durham sounded like Coach K had blackmailed a referee into smashing his favorite set of crayons. Meanwhile, Montross was all class and well researched. I even remember him making a point about a State player that he could have only known if he had done research on that specific day for that specific game, but the details escape me.

Also, my brother worked at REI in Durham during college and Montross came in one day in 2004-05ish. The cashier (a UNC student) knew who he was but started asking questions like, "wow, how tall are you?" and "did you play basketball in high school?" and "so do you, like, know anybody who plays at the colleges around here?" Montross was very polite, and after 5-6 of these questions, the cashier finally said, "I know who you are, Mr. Montross." Montross thought it was hilarious.

I said I wouldn't have recognized him without blood on his face.

Still thinking...

Admit I have a few:

1) Paul Severin (2-time AA in football in i think ‘39 and ‘40, played several rounds of golf w him on our home course). Great man!! Jim Sumner likely knows of him. Mr. Severin was a great athlete and better person, for sure!!

2) John Inman, played golf there same time as i did in Durham, tough competitor and great guy. Played w him when i set course record at Finley GC (unc’s home course, Davis Love III also in group, doesn’t make list&#129315.

3) Jackie Nicklaus, also on their golf team, one of the nicest and sincerest people i’ve ever met.

4) Clavis Smith, also on their team and a fellow Richmonder, haven’t seen him in a few years, but a good egg.

5) Brad Daugherty, just easily likeable and very good at his chosen professions.

6) Ed Ibuargen, don’t think he attended, but was Head Pro at Finley and is now (or at least was) Golf Director at Duke Golf Course. A friend and a very classy guy!

7) Wheat!! Wanna fish w Wheat!!

8) Bobby Jones!!

Can’t go any further without feeling like I’m wrongdoing.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    While this is a laughable indictment of Syracuse's desperate attempt to create a rivalry with Duke (having abandoned their old Big East rivalries), I'm curious: what were the results of the thread?
    It wasn't a thread - it was an article posted on the DBR Home page written by somebody up at Syracuse. Their number one Duke athlete that they didn't hate was Greg Paulus.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Perfect. Must spread the love and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Marvin Austin
    Marvin Austin
    Marvin Austin
    Marvin Austin
    Marvin Austin
    Dean knew

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Mahktar Ndaiye

That's all I got.
    download.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Admit I have a few:

1) Paul Severin (2-time AA in football in i think ‘39 and ‘40, played several rounds of golf w him on our home course). Great man!! Jim Sumner likely knows of him. Mr. Severin was a great athlete and better person, for sure!!

2) John Inman, played golf there same time as i did in Durham, tough competitor and great guy. Played w him when i set course record at Finley GC (unc’s home course, Davis Love III also in group, doesn’t make list&#129315.

3) Jackie Nicklaus, also on their golf team, one of the nicest and sincerest people i’ve ever met.

4) Clavis Smith, also on their team and a fellow Richmonder, haven’t seen him in a few years, but a good egg.

5) Brad Daugherty, just easily likeable and very good at his chosen professions.

6) Ed Ibuargen, don’t think he attended, but was Head Pro at Finley and is now (or at least was) Golf Director at Duke Golf Course. A friend and a very classy guy!

7) Wheat!! Wanna fish w Wheat!!

8) Bobby Jones!!

Can’t go any further without feeling like I’m wrongdoing.
    I assume you mean the basketball player "Bobby Jones" and NOT the golfer Bobby Jones??

Wow! Ty Lawson making a strong push toward the top of this list...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/...h1ix7coiunw4bb
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Wow! Ty Lawson making a strong push toward the top of this list...

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/...h1ix7coiunw4bb
    God bless him.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Thomas Wolfe -- great, great American writer, who died 50 years too soon
    If I recall correctly, his daughter Alexandra was a classmate of my son’s at Duke (T02).

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    If I recall correctly, his daughter Alexandra was a classmate of my son’s at Duke (T02).
    Not that Thomas Wolfe, known as Tom -- THE Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938) who wrote Look Homeward, Angel; Of Time and the River; the Web and the Rock; You Can't Go Home Again," etc. Graduated from UNC before traveling north. No offspring. Died of pneumonia followed by tuberculosis. From Asheville and his writings were autobiographical -- so much so that the locals were scandalized at their characterization in Look Homeward, Angel. Supposedly, after he became famous, people were REALLY mad if they were NOT included in his later writings.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not that Thomas Wolfe, known as Tom -- THE Thomas Wolfe (1900-1938) who wrote Look Homeward, Angel; Of Time and the River; the Web and the Rock; You Can't Go Home Again," etc. Graduated from UNC before traveling north. No offspring. Died of pneumonia followed by tuberculosis. From Asheville and his writings were autobiographical -- so much so that the locals were scandalized at their characterization in Look Homeward, Angel. Supposedly, after he became famous, people were REALLY mad if they were NOT included in his later writings.
    Oops. Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by summerwind03 View Post
    Still thinking...
    Me, too. Actually, I never really got going on it.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Asking for a friend- is participating in this thread permanent and irrevokable disqualification from Mount Hatemore?
    😁😳🙄🤣
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Me, too. Actually, I never really got going on it.
    Guessing weezie didn't read fuse's post early on in the thread. Oops, I hope no one tries to disqualify me either .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    It’s actually pretty easy.

Jim Brown
    Oren Lyons
    Dave Bing
    Marv Albert
    Lou Reed

Didn't see these 2 mentioned, adding to the list...

David Chadwick - Charlotte pastor who played in 70's (points off for writing a book on Dean Smith)
    Julius Peppers - Great football player, decent person, was really glad when he left basketball - team would have been much better with him, he was a handful