Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    I've only got one: Brad Daugherty.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Thomas Wolfe -- great, great American writer, who died 50 years too soon
    Speaking of writers, Richard McKenna who wrote The Sand Pebbles. I enjoyed his collection of short stories The Left Handed Monkey Wrench. Of course the stories are about Sailors in Asia so no surprise I liked it. McKenna died young at 51.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Speaking of writers, Richard McKenna who wrote The Sand Pebbles. I enjoyed his collection of short stories The Left Handed Monkey Wrench. Of course the stories are about Sailors in Asia so no surprise I liked it. McKenna died young at 51.
    Good find, Bob. The point about McKenna is that he attended Carolina AFTER 22 years in the U.S. Navy.. He studied creative writing and then published a huge best seller, made into a movie featuring, I believe, Steve McQueen.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I thought that Carl Sandburg went there, but apparently not.

Lewis Black is a grad IIRC.

Good find, Bob. The point about McKenna is that he attended Carolina AFTER 22 years in the U.S. Navy.. He studied creative writing and then published a huge best seller, made into a movie featuring, I believe, Steve McQueen.
    Yes, Richard McKenna was a Chief Machinist Mate. The book’s protagonist, Jake Holman, was a Machinist Mate. The Sand Pebbles was a great movie and an even better book. Alongside Steve McQueen, the movie featured Richard Attenborough, Candace Bergen, Mako and Richard Crenna.
    Bob Green

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Andy Griffith
    Bob Newhart
    Jason Capel
    Rashad McCants (after he turned, before he refused to talk to the NCAA)
    Shamans Flanagan
    Bob Newhart? I don’t see anything that says he belongs on this list.

And Candice Bergen. McQueen received an Oscar nomination for The Sand Pebbles, as did the movie itself; but I thought that some of the finest acting in this film was by Richard Attenborough.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Andy Griffith
    Bob Newhart
    Jason Capel
    Rashad McCants (after he turned, before he refused to talk to the NCAA)
    Shamans Flanagan
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Bob Newhart? I don’t see anything that says he belongs on this list.
    Yeah, from what I can tell, Bob Newhart graduated from Loyola University in Chicago, a school that has been to the Final Four more recently than UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'll get roasted for this I'm sure, but I haven't been as full of hate and venom for Heels on recent teams. I genuinely liked Marcus Paige. Cole was a turd, but he wasn't good enough to hate, and neither was the team. Kennedy Meeks was sort of a goober, but I admired his passing. Tokoto was just as likely to pass to a Duke player as a Tar Heel.

I'm sure I'll remember counterpoints soon, but the last really hateable Tar Heel was Hansborough.

I admittedly feel less emotion positive and negative for players who are only around for a year or two I guess.
    I felt the same until I watched some of his highlights. He played with so much passion and grit. If it wasn't for refs calling fouls around him all the time and him crushing us yearly he may have been a top 5 favorite player to watch.

Anyway my answers (in no order):

Wayne Ellington
    Dexter Stickland
    Harrison Barnes
    Tyler Zeller
    Jordan...
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    ...but I thought that some of the finest acting in this film was by Richard Attenborough.
    Absolutely. Frenchy was a pivotal character in the story and Attenborough did a fantastic job with the role.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Absolutely. Frenchy was a pivotal character in the story and Attenborough did a fantastic job with the role.
    Sand Pebbles is one of my favorite flicks. I record it every time it comes on TV, watch it, erase it and wait for it to come on again and do it all over. Is that weird?

Well, there was...no not him

Maybe...nah not her

I got nothin'.

That Bilas guy doesn't seem too bad for a Tar Heel.

Man do I hate Cheater threads on DBR...just seeing them show up on the list makes me feel like I'm reading IC (they are very Duke-hate centric).

The answer to this question is either 'none' or 'who cares' sure there are some non-basketball and football people like Crystal Dunn (USWNT, NC Courage) who are great despite being Cheater athletes but it's best to not bring their Cheating past to light and just focus on where they are today not that they've moved on from the Cheating.

Note, I'm well aware that by posting here I'm moving this back to the top of the feed but I figured since it was already at the time, I might as well chime in.

9F * infinity

Well, there's my brother, UNC undergrad. He was however a Duke overgrad.

Andy Griffith

Bobby Jones

Sam Perkins

And I really enjoyed Matt Doherty's time as a coach there.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    For the record, I only started this thread because a Syracuse(!) fan had already done it about Blue Devils. And since I like to think of us as superior to Syracuse fans . . .

But also, coming up with 5 Orangepeople that I don't hate would require that I remember 5 Orangepeople. We only have one rival. It ain't Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    That Bilas guy doesn't seem too bad for a Tar Heel.
    Yup, smarter and better educated than most.

Am pleased to see...

… several favorable mentions of Sam Perkins. I concur.

Sam was a high school classmate of mine (Shaker '80) - and a wonderfully nice person. We weren't much more than friendly acquaintances but knew each other well enough to say hi when our paths crossed at South Square Mall or an Earth Wind & Fire concert.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    … several favorable mentions of Sam Perkins. I concur.

Sam was a high school classmate of mine (Shaker '80) - and a wonderfully nice person. We weren't much more than friendly acquaintances but knew each other well enough to say hi when our paths crossed at...an Earth Wind & Fire concert.
    LOL, how often did that happen?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    For the record, I only started this thread because a Syracuse(!) fan had already done it about Blue Devils. And since I like to think of us as superior to Syracuse fans . . .

But also, coming up with 5 Orangepeople that I don't hate would require that I remember 5 Orangepeople. We only have one rival. It ain't Syracuse.
    While this is a laughable indictment of Syracuse's desperate attempt to create a rivalry with Duke (having abandoned their old Big East rivalries), I'm curious: what were the results of the thread?