Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Five TarHeels I Don't Hate

In response to the article from the Syracuse guy:

1) Cliff Morris: Basketball walk-on 1981-1985. Graduated from Durham's Jordan High School (with me), key member of Jordan's 1981 3A State Championship team, now a cardiologist in Richmond, VA. Promotes wellness.

2) Mia Hamm
    3) Michael Jordan: I tried to keep hating him for a long time but he wore me down with his greatness.
    4) Stuart Scott
    5) B. J. Surhoff

Below is my list:

Asking for a friend- is participating in this thread permanent and irrevokable disqualification from Mount Hatemore?
    😁😳🙄🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post

1) Cliff Morris: Basketball walk-on 1981-1985. Graduated from Durham's Jordan High School (with me), key member of Jordan's 1981 3A State Championship team, now a cardiologist in Richmond, VA. Promotes wellness.

2) Mia Hamm
    3) Michael Jordan: I tried to keep hating him for a long time but he wore me down with his greatness.
    4) Stuart Scott
    5) B. J. Surhoff
    I'll get roasted for this I'm sure, but I haven't been as full of hate and venom for Heels on recent teams. I genuinely liked Marcus Paige. Cole was a turd, but he wasn't good enough to hate, and neither was the team. Kennedy Meeks was sort of a goober, but I admired his passing. Tokoto was just as likely to pass to a Duke player as a Tar Heel.

I'm sure I'll remember counterpoints soon, but the last really hateable Tar Heel was Hansborough.

I admittedly feel less emotion positive and negative for players who are only around for a year or two I guess.

Marvin Austin
    Marvin Austin
    Marvin Austin
    Marvin Austin
    Marvin Austin
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm sure I'll remember counterpoints soon, but the last really hateable Tar Heel was Hansborough.
    Wait. This can't be correct, Mtn.Devil, but I am drawing a blank for a player since him that I genuinely loathed.

Seriously, I don't care enough about the NBA to continue a strong dislike for Carolina Players.

Now their fan base, that is where the real dislike is for me. It would be harder for me to name five Carolina fans that are not whiny, excuse makers for being fans of the greatest cheating scandal in college sports, gloating front runners, scum sucking... Okay, I better stop. I don't want to get busted by the mods. I have a clean record.

Only one Tarheel I can find tolerable because I was a fan before I knew he was one: Walter Davis

He was playing for the Suns when I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Marvin Austin
    Marvin Austin
    Marvin Austin
    Marvin Austin
    Marvin Austin
    Chrishoke wins the thread!
    Bob Green

I liked Billy Cunningham. Great player (NCAA, NBA, ABA) and NBA coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Chrishoke wins the thread!
    Yep might as well close the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Below is my list:

Wikipedia has a long list of UNC alumni, and not everyone is offensive.

Duke shares a few people, like Terry Sanford and Ken Jeong. Jim Rash was also on TV's "Community" and has an Oscar.

You would think Rick Dees went to Oregon based on "Disco Duck", but no, he's here too.

Andy Griffith identified strongly with the state, but did he single out the sports team? (Ron Howard narrating: "He didn't.")

Kelen Coleman was the best part of TV's "The Newsroom". Then you have Charlie (John Forsythe) and Cooter (Ben Jones).

Peter Gammons went there, wrote for The Daily Tar Heel, and worked in the same building as John Skipper and Stuart Scott, but somehow came across as neutral. That counts for something, maybe.

Billy Crudup is an underrated actor, but then he ditched a pregnant Mary-Louise Parker for Claire Danes, so never mind.

I'll get roasted for this I'm sure, but I haven't been as full of hate and venom for Heels on recent teams. I genuinely liked Marcus Paige. Cole was a turd, but he wasn't good enough to hate, and neither was the team. Kennedy Meeks was sort of a goober, but I admired his passing. Tokoto was just as likely to pass to a Duke player as a Tar Heel.

I admittedly feel less emotion positive and negative for players who are only around for a year or two I guess.
    I am probably going soft in my dotage, but my All-Tar Heel team hasn't changed for a while:

• Jeff McInnis (Started a fight with one of our walk-ons, and I won't mention any filthy rumors))
    • Makhtar N'Diaye (Disgraced himself at three different colleges)
    • Rasheed Wallace (Very poor sport, tho' some say is OK now)
    • Vince Carter (Successfully went through rehab during his 20 years in the NBA)
    • Rashad McCants (McCan't, McWon't, McCancer -- probably hated by the Heels as well)
    • Tyler Hansbrough (More annoying than hated -- tried to rehab himself by jumping off a balcony into a swimming pool, but no)
    • Danny Green (The model of poor sportsmanship)
    • Harrison Barnes (The least self-aware person on the planet)
    • P.J. Hairston (He doesn't need my list -- he's on the FBI list)
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Wikipedia has a long list of UNC alumni, and not everyone is offensive.
    Duke shares a few people, like Terry Sanford and Ken Jeong. Jim Rash was also on TV's "Community" and has an Oscar.
    You would think Rick Dees went to Oregon based on "Disco Duck", but no, he's here too.
    Andy Griffith identified strongly with the state, but did he single out the sports team? (Ron Howard narrating: "He didn't.")
    Kelen Coleman was the best part of TV's "The Newsroom". Then you have Charlie (John Forsythe) and Cooter (Ben Jones).
    Peter Gammons went there, wrote for The Daily Tar Heel, and worked in the same building as John Skipper and Stuart Scott, but somehow came across as neutral. That counts for something, maybe.
    Billy Crudup is an underrated actor, but then he ditched a pregnant Mary-Louise Parker for Claire Danes, so never mind.

Sorely, sorely tempted to give you the old anti-spork for making me read and register those names. I am going to chalk this up to cabin fever and only issue a warning, Mr. brevity.
    Please don't let something like this happen again. You may go back to study hall now.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

please lock this thread
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    please lock this thread
    Yes! The lock-up insanity that's been exhibited on this board recently (here and in the Last Dance thread) is completely inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I am probably going soft in my dotage, but my All-Tar Heel team hasn't changed for a while:

• Jeff McInnis (Started a fight with one of our walk-ons, and I won't mention any filthy rumors))
    • Makhtar N'Diaye (Disgraced himself at three different colleges)
    • Rasheed Wallace (Very poor sport, tho' some say is OK now)
    • Vince Carter (Successfully went through rehab during his 20 years in the NBA)
    • Rashad McCants (McCan't, McWon't, McCancer -- probably hated by the Heels as well)
    • Tyler Hansbrough (More annoying than hated -- tried to rehab himself by jumping off a balcony into a swimming pool, but no)
    • Danny Green (The model of poor sportsmanship)
    • Harrison Barnes (The least self-aware person on the planet)
    • P.J. Hairston (He doesn't need my list -- he's on the FBI list)
    Mccants did turn in the cheats for cheating,so hes cool.

Bobby Jones, Billy Cunningham, Walter Davis and Don Eggleston(the letter).

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post

2) Mia Hamm
    4) Stuart Scott
    5) B. J. Surhoff

I also liked Marcus Paige, and I think Mia Hamm is a very good choice. I continue to at least dislike Michael Jordan, despite his greatness, because of the many anecdotes in which it appears he can be a major jerk a lot of the time. I liked Sam Perkins, I think (long time ago now). I liked Marion Jones when she played on the NCAA championship team in 1994, though she certainly didn't cover herself with glory later. i

Kinda liked Andrew Platek this past season. He made me smile in February when we saw him.