Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
Well, MJ is the one player who has probably "earned" such a treatment. He was the OG "superstar" crossing all culture lines, omnipresent on all three networks, appointment television. He was larger than life.

I think LeBron is by far a better basketball player, but you can't even begin to explain to a Millennial what MJ was like in his prime.

Perhaps I'm biased based on my age, but as a basketball fanatic teen in the late 80s and early 90s, it's impossible to overstate the impact he had on my childhood, and every who I knew with similar interests.
But here's the thing: if you're a 90s baby who never saw MJ play, what's more valuable to you: a 10-part hagiography blessed by MJ himself, or actually going over his legitimately amazing career with a critical eye? I was 13 during the 1998 Finals, I had an MJ poster on my wall, I saw Space Jam in the theater, I do chores around the house with my tongue out to this day which annoys the hell out of my wife. I get the formative importance a guy like MJ has on people, myself included, but it still does an immense disservice to our understanding of history to accept something like this documentary as anything close to "definitive" when (through 2 episodes at least) it is nothing more than an elegantly produced puff piece.