Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duke Dunks

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I'm confused because the Duke IG voting is already in the finals. Why is Twitter so far behind? Am I missing something or are there two parallel votings going on? Finals on IG is Zion 360 breakaway dunk vs. Tatum poster against UNC. I can't argue too much but definite recency bias in all the voting.
    The Twitter account is really​ slow playing these votes apparently.

So not right to put Shelden Williams only nomination up against Zion.

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1252709310456426496

Do the right thing, folks! Been a while since we had a proper DBR poll skew!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    So not right to put Shelden Williams only nomination up against Zion.

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/1252709310456426496

Do the right thing, folks! Been a while since we had a proper DBR poll skew!
    Did my best, but it appears to be a losing battle at this point.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Hingeknocker View Post
    Voting has begun this morning on the official Duke MBB twitter page: https://twitter.com/DukeMBB.

I haven't seen the whole bracket, but for me, a great dunk is all about context, physicality, and the reaction. With that criteria, I have two clear favorites:

1. Dahntay Jones's dunk -> pushups against Virginia

2. Gerald Henderson's dunk -> floor stomp against Maryland after his buddy Nolan Smith got concussed

Grant Hill's soaring alley-oop in the '91 Final gets close as far as context goes, and Maggette's pull-up on the rim -> slap the backboard is up there in physicality/reaction, but nothing beats those two for me.

Zion's 360 against Clemson is the best pure dunk I've ever seen in a Duke game, but I'd vote for one of the above over it for sure.
    This is one of the most underrated dunks in Duke history, IMHO, and I hope it goes far in the bracket. It was one of the most impressive sporting moments I've ever seen live because of how explosive and sudden it was... I'd argue a dunk like that is more impressive in the flow of a game than some of Zion's incredible breakaway dunks.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    This is one of the most underrated dunks in Duke history, IMHO, and I hope it goes far in the bracket. It was one of the most impressive sporting moments I've ever seen live because of how explosive and sudden it was... I'd argue a dunk like that is more impressive in the flow of a game than some of Zion's incredible breakaway dunks.
    And how timely. Henderson was going to pound that ball into the basket come hell or high water. One of the great "answers" in Duke history. Probably makes at least the top 50 in all of sports.

I'd argue a dunk like that is more impressive in the flow of a game than some of Zion's incredible breakaway dunks.
    I will never vote for any breakaway dunk over something like this. Doing it with folks actively trying to stop you is fifty times more impressive than dunking on an unguarded goal.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It's going on 11 years ago and the Gerald dunk is the one I'll always remember seeing live. It's incredible. And the thing is, for all of Zion's impressive breakaway dunks, they're all variations on a theme of dunk that I've seen before. (With the possible exception of Zion's 360...I'm not sure I can recall seeing a legit 360 dunk in a real game before.) But even still, all the other dunks that Zion did, or RJ's that he caught off the backboard, etc. are not unique dunks. Gerald MF Henderson taking the ball and having everyone in the arena know he wanted to dunk because his best friend was concussed by some Maryland oaf AND DOING IT ANYWAY and then stomping on the dang court to let everyone know that he knew that they knew what he wanted to do...it's perfect. This is why the context matters, and it's a shame that this dunk isn't more appreciated.

I could wax poetic about this dunk forever. (Which shows how insanely special Dahntay's pushup dunk was, as I have the Jones dunk ahead of the Gerald dunk.)