Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Henry Coleman

Henry Coleman

I just watched a Zoom interview with him from the Rivals site (Sorry I dont know how to link it here). Coleman said he is 6-8 240 now and would like a playing weight to be 240-250 as a Fr at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaks19 View Post
    I just watched a Zoom interview with him from the Rivals site (Sorry I dont know how to link it here). Coleman said he is 6-8 240 now and would like a playing weight to be 240-250 as a Fr at Duke.
    Only 1 inch shorter than Josh Hairston. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Only 1 inch shorter than Josh Hairston. Nice!
    I believe Josh was closer to 6'7".

GoDuke!

I believe

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I believe Josh was closer to 6'7".

GoDuke!
    I think proelitedota was referring to Josh's listed height, before we saw him on campus.

Perhaps your sarcasm detector needs a tuneup!

The old cinder block question. Shoes or stocking feet? How much length does he have and how much elevation? it sounds like he can gang, so that is one good thing.

I met Henry Coleman, his younger brother and their Dad about 6 weeks ago in my store. Talked w them for about 10 minutes; incredibly nice folks. One of my work associates saw him play the night before in the State semi-final. Henry’s team lost. My associate described his (Henry’s) physique as like Adonis. As I talked to him and his Dad, i think/thought he’s about 6’7”, about 230 or more. He is very nice, cordial, as is his Dad. Younger brother (maybe 12/13) was lanky/athletic looking. All three were well-adorned in very fresh Duke gear!!😄
    Think this was week of ACC tourney as I recall as I type, so 5 weeks ago??
    Very impressed was I!!
    Congratulated him and Dad!!
    Very impressed with them!!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I think proelitedota was referring to Josh's listed height, before we saw him on campus.

yup, Josh sprang up to a self reported 6-9 at one point...

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

I guess it does need to be tuned up.

GoDuke!

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yup, Josh sprang up to a self reported 6-9 at one point...
    I'll always remember that Spike Albrecht was listed at either 5-11 or 6-0 throughout his Michigan career. I passed him on the quad one day and it certainly seemed we were at the same level, and I'm a 5-9. So there's no way Albrecht was ever 6-foot tall. Those heights are to be taken with a grain of salt, always.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I'll always remember that Spike Albrecht was listed at either 5-11 or 6-0 throughout his Michigan career. I passed him on the quad one day and it certainly seemed we were at the same level, and I'm a 5-9. So there's no way Albrecht was ever 6-foot tall. Those heights are to be taken with a grain of salt, always.
    I agree. A guy who is 6'7" is unlikely to be a presence inside, especially if neither long or springy. Sounds like more of a power forward type. The strength part sounds good.

After watching this game, I distinctly remember thinking two things:

1) Hasheem Thabeet is overrated as a pro prospect.
    2) DaJuan Blair was a special player in college.

Other fun undersized post players that come to mind include Bonzie Colson, Draymond Green, and of course, Charles Barkley. I believe Marcus Stroman has coined the term "HDMH: Height Doesn't Measure Heart." I'm excited to see Henry in a Duke uniform and will reserve judgement on his ability to play until I overreact to his performance in the Blue-White Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I agree. A guy who is 6'7" is unlikely to be a presence inside, especially if neither long or springy. Sounds like more of a power forward type. The strength part sounds good.
    dennis rodman is 6'7". seems he had a pretty strong inside presence. i'll take a 6'7" with heart over a 6'10" without heart.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Every school does this. Height inflation in college basketball is akin to grade inflation at Harvard.

My favorite example is Demarcus Nelson. On goduke.com, he's listed at 6'4". I used to wait with him a lot at the Central Campus bus stop. I am a legitimate 6'3" and, on a good day, 6'4". I was a legitimate 4 inches taller than Demarcus Nelson. Hell, my buddy who is 6'0" looked taller (that my be because of the hair).

Now, Demarcus was built like a mini-Zion, so I'm not doubting his size or his talent, just his height.

On the flip side, Mason Plumlee used to attend a few Fuqua classes. He's listed at 6'10". IMO, he's definitely more like 7'0", maybe even taller. He's the tallest basketball player I've ever seen.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I know he self-reported being 6-8 so it really doesn't mean much if he is 6-7 or 6-8 as long as he can rebound, defend in the post and make a positive contribution to Duke next season.

After watching his game some, he is a high energy guy that is very active on both ends much like Javin was but he looks to be more assertive in scoring than Javin and obviously he's not 6-10 either.

Cassius Stanley is "6-6."

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Every school does this. Height inflation in college basketball is akin to grade inflation at Harvard.

My favorite example is Demarcus Nelson. On goduke.com, he's listed at 6'4". I used to wait with him a lot at the Central Campus bus stop. I am a legitimate 6'3" and, on a good day, 6'4". I was a legitimate 4 inches taller than Demarcus Nelson. Hell, my buddy who is 6'0" looked taller (that my be because of the hair).

Now, Demarcus was built like a mini-Zion, so I'm not doubting his size or his talent, just his height.

On the flip side, Mason Plumlee used to attend a few Fuqua classes. He's listed at 6'10". IMO, he's definitely more like 7'0", maybe even taller. He's the tallest basketball player I've ever seen.
    I sat courtside at a Bulls game (For those that don't remember the "Before Time," the Bulls were a professional basketball team that played in the midwestern city of Chicago. ESPN is doing a documentary about them starting this Sunday.) when Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler were rookies. Trading Elton Brand was one of the last mistakes Jerry Krause made before being booted out of the front office in place of GarPax, who just got shown the door yesterday. Anyway, The Baby Bulls were playing the Rockets. The Rockets had their own rookie center, Yao Ming. That's the tallest basketball player I've ever seen.

Around campus, I got to shake Brian Zoubek's hand/mitt one time. He seemed impossibly tall to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    After watching this game, I distinctly remember thinking two things:

1) Hasheem Thabeet is overrated as a pro prospect.
    2) DaJuan Blair was a special player in college.

Other fun undersized post players that come to mind include Bonzie Colson, Draymond Green, and of course, Charles Barkley. I believe Marcus Stroman has coined the term "HDMH: Height Doesn't Measure Heart." I'm excited to see Henry in a Duke uniform and will reserve judgement on his ability to play until I overreact to his performance in the Blue-White Game.

My favorite "height doesn't matter" team was 2006 George Mason, who relied inside on 6'7" 230lb Will Thomas and 6'7" 275lb Jai Lewis to make their improbable final four run (and note, when Lewis later tried out for the NFL, he somehow shrank to about 6'5"). These two wide-bodies even managed to score deftly inside against #1-seed UConn, who had future NBA-players in 6'10" Josh Boone and 6'11" Hilton Armstrong (not to mention 6'8" Rudy Gay).

Of course, they're among the exceptions that prove the rule about the importance of height.

I know he self-reported being 6-8 so it really doesn't mean much if he is 6-7 or 6-8 as long as he can rebound, defend in the post and make a positive contribution to Duke next season.

After watching his game some, he is a high energy guy that is very active on both ends much like Javin was but he looks to be more assertive in scoring than Javin and obviously he's not 6-10 either.
    Javin totaled 86 minutes his freshman year. That's 4 min a game, which is a non-factor and not part of the rotation. If your comp is Javin, then Henry is likely to be out of the rotation next year.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Javin totaled 86 minutes his freshman year. That's 4 min a game, which is a non-factor and not part of the rotation. If your comp is Javin, then Henry is likely to be out of the rotation next year.
    I'm not sure that is an apt comparison. The roster situation is very different for a freshman Henry Coleman than a freshman Javin DeLaurier. Javin was playing behind Amile Jefferson, Chase Jeter (half a season, at least), Antonio Vrankovic, Marques Bolden, and Harry Giles in the frontcourt and Jayson Tatum moonlighted as a stretch 4.

Coleman has his competition in the frontcourt, but only Mark Williams and Patrick Tape are legit centers. I would not be surprised to see Coleman as a "break in case of emergency" center if Williams and Tape are injured or in foul trouble. I'd expect a frontcourt of Hurt and Johnson before seeing Coleman. There are a lot of guys with similar recruiting pedigrees and years of experience on the roster. I do expect to see a lot of interesting lineups at the start of next season.

Duke has options and versatile bigs.
    Traditional center type players in Williams and Tapé. Forwards in Hurt, Johnson, Brakefield and Coleman that can play in combinations for periods of time too. I think K will enjoy having a roster where he can find his mismatches and utilize the players strengths.