View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 5 of 100 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Not sure I’ve seen this mentioned upthread.
    The VR/AR tech pivot could be accelerated as a result of COVID.

This might mean empty (or no more) arenas, and (multiple) sales of virtual seats.

I’ve never played sport at a high enough level to have experienced a real crowd, or home field advantage.

Clearly we believe Cameron and the Crazies provide an advantage.
    In the grand scheme of things, in person versus tv/virtual is trivial.

What we think of as normal is going to continue to change as a result of COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your statement. Do I need to overhaul my sarcasm meter?
    Yes haha. But I’m on my phone and definitely could have worded it better.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Not a math major, I gather.

The final was 83-79.

Verga had some success early but quickly hit the wall.

More than a few people have speculated that Conley wasn't all that sick. Rupp wasn't above that kind of motivational ploy.

Duke defeated Utah the next day in the consolation game, by which time Verga had largely recovered. He scored 15 points.

To the list of sick players in big games add Mike Gminski, who had a stomach bug when Duke lost to St. John's in Reynolds in the 1979 East Region. G-man soldiered on, threw up at every timeout [on the sidelines, fortunately], got a hit of Gatorade, went back and did it again. This was the same game that Dennard missed with a sprained ankle and Bender missed after undergoing an appendectomy. Banks had a great game to keep it close.

And there were lots of rumors about much of the team being sick in the 2008 loss to West Virginia. Never really confirmed but DeMarcus Nelson did have some respiratory issues that cropped up from time to time.
    I had almost recovered from that loss with Verga out. I was nine years old. It still doesn't hurt as bad as 86.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    Since jk said this is more for the impact on sports I won't post the video here. But just watched a video of a doctor who said they were finding very interesting results of people showing antibodies after being sick as far back as December. I think they could have contracted it later and simply never shown symptoms. That's important, but when it was contracted doesn't matter to the overall numbers. He believes they may find potentially millions already with the antibodies and that would impact the mortality rate. While it's possible some death's due to the virus are being under reported as Steven linked to, I think as Kfanarmy pointed out some are being misreported as well. At the very least they may balance each other out? A difference of a thousand deaths, ten thousand even wouldn't affect the rate as much as finding millions

Again the important thing is the number of people who may already have the antibodies (if that turns out to be true) combined with the resulting declining mortality rate (just the rate lowering from more precise numbers, not a change in the virus's leathality) that would result would allow sports to start much sooner. Now we can argue about if it should even if that is true. We can argue about how it should be handled, perhaps with no spectators, things like that. But let's face it, there is so much money to be made in sports I imagine they will latch onto any reason to restart. Just considering the numbers.
    When is our society going to step up and realize there is no such thing as a “safe” environment? How likely is it that virtually all of us have already been exposed to others who have been infected w/o those others becoming ill? And what about over the next 3-4 months? The talk of quarantining teams, classes, workplaces because a single person therein tests positive becomes more and more overkill as time goes on. Who will argue that anyone can be “safe” by never being exposed to the virus? Are we all to live in bubbles for the rest of our lives? There is risk to everything in life. Natural selection is not disappearing. While we want to all within reason to mitigate loss of life, drs, government, and all who proclaim society should do anything which might prevent a single person from death cannot effect such. Vaccines will not protect everyone and will result in some deaths-do we ban them because of that? We cannot prevent disease, nor all of its consequences. We need a return to normalcy in a step by step process not lasting 18 months as called for by some.

Quote Originally Posted by soflabluedevil View Post
    When is our society going to step up and realize there is no such thing as a “safe” environment? How likely is it that virtually all of us have already been exposed to others who have been infected w/o those others becoming ill? And what about over the next 3-4 months? The talk of quarantining teams, classes, workplaces because a single person therein tests positive becomes more and more overkill as time goes on. Who will argue that anyone can be “safe” by never being exposed to the virus? Are we all to live in bubbles for the rest of our lives? There is risk to everything in life. Natural selection is not disappearing. While we want to all within reason to mitigate loss of life, drs, government, and all who proclaim society should do anything which might prevent a single person from death cannot effect such. Vaccines will not protect everyone and will result in some deaths-do we ban them because of that? We cannot prevent disease, nor all of its consequences. We need a return to normalcy in a step by step process not lasting 18 months as called for by some.
    Everyone is frustrated and upset. I for one will continue to listen to the advice of healthcare professionals and epidemiologists.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Everyone is frustrated and upset. I for one will continue to listen to the advice of healthcare professionals and epidemiologists.
    Seconded

Quote Originally Posted by soflabluedevil View Post
    Thank you soflabluedevil... finally a voice of reason. I am skeptical of everything and everyone, including our so-called healthcare experts.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Thank you soflabluedevil... finally a voice of reason. I am skeptical of everything and everyone, including our so-called healthcare experts.
    Even with social distancing, Covid-19 is about to be the leading cause of death in the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...ng-cause-death

I'm not sure what there is to be skeptical about.

Now let's steer this back to sports...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    To be skeptical of the lessons imparted by historical fact can prove painful and costly. For those who advocate abandoning the restrictions recommended by health care experts to facilitate a hasty resumption of normal social and commercial activities, I urge you to Google "1918 Flu Pandemic second wave" and read a representative sample of the articles. Then consider the potential consequences of casting the masses back into the daily mix before we have developed an effective treatment that can be made available in adequate quantities to prevent the same dramatic second-wave increases in severe illness and loss of life that occurred the last time we encountered a problem of this nature.

College basketball practice begins October 15, 179 days from now. Is it probable that this viral scourge will have remediated enough by then to permit full contact practice, airline travel, and stadiums occupied by fans, even if not densely occupied?

Vaccines were developed over years which--thankfully--eliminated polio, measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox, human pappiloma, yellow fever, rabies, and hepatitis B. Unfortunately, despite millions in research dollars having been spent, there is no vaccine for herpes, HIV, dengue fever, or the common cold, The vaccine for the flu is a mixed bag.

Is there a guarantee that there will ever be a Covid-19 vaccine? No. Is there a possibility there will be a vaccine in 179 days? Again, no.

I am no scientist and I have no crystal ball, but if there are college athletics before the fall of 2021, I will be pleasantly surprised (on many levels, and not mostly because of sports.)

First they will have to figure out how to re-open colleges and universities, because the notion that "student athletes" will play games while universities are unoccupied is a pipe dream. It's not going to happen.

Lacking a vaccine (which I agree could take a very long time), some kind of robust testing and tracking regimen is going to be required. Right now we are clearly lacking a focused national effort (that's all I can get away with saying here), but we're going to have to get one organized, one way or another. If we can't completely solve the problem with a vaccine, we're going to have to manage it as best we can.

4Gen may well be right; at this point, I don't see how they play football this Fall...a lot can (hopefully) happen before hoops are jeopardized, but our current national approach is not encouraging...maybe that changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    To be skeptical of the lessons imparted by historical fact can prove painful and costly. For those who advocate abandoning the restrictions recommended by health care experts to facilitate a hasty resumption of normal social and commercial activities, I urge you to Google "1918 Flu Pandemic second wave" and read a representative sample of the articles. Then consider the potential consequences of casting the masses back into the daily mix before we have developed an effective treatment that can be made available in adequate quantities to prevent the same dramatic second-wave increases in severe illness and loss of life that occurred the last time we encountered a problem of this nature.
    “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sure rhymes a lot.”

— Mark Twain (IIRC)

How many voted more optimistically in the poll than they deep down truly believe? I think I may have. This issue is soooo complicated, so many unknowns.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Now let's steer this back to sports...

-jk
    Please keep general comments about the corona virus in the appropriate thread.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I knew you’d come through with a reasoned and logical response. You usually do.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    First they will have to figure out how to re-open colleges and universities, because the notion that "student athletes" will play games while universities are unoccupied is a pipe dream. It's not going to happen.
    Colleges are already going online for fall semester, and some students are planning to take the semester off in protest. Duke has made no announcement yet.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/5157756002/

There's still a lot of time before decisions have to be made on the sports front. 7/15 for football, probably 10/1 for basketball, and probably 1/1 for spring sports.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Colleges are already going online for fall semester, and some students are planning to take the semester off in protest. Duke has made no announcement yet.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/5157756002/

There's still a lot of time before decisions have to be made on the sports front. 7/15 for football, probably 10/1 for basketball, and probably 1/1 for spring sports.
    The article is a bit sensationalist, as the big number they put up, 68% or whatever, includes schools "considering" it. If duke had contingency plans for a remote fall semester, are they in that bucket? Probably.

They cited a 5% number of college who are committed to online classes. Does that mean those schools will also have NO on-campus learning? They don't clarify nor cite their source (and the report they do cite doesn't validate that number).

So in terms of hard facts, the universities have no clue what's going to happen. They're preparing contingency plans which might include remote learning. Saying "colleges are going online for the fall semester" is mildly sensationalist at this point.

I imagine for duke, and thus sports, the university will do everything in their power to get students here...if it means they have to have students arrive over a 4 week period and individually test every single one of them as they arrive, require that they quarantine when not in class, and have all staff tested. The possibility of such, who knows. It would be much more feasible for the football team size-wise, and I imagine they are working on some sort of stringent rules there as well....testing of team personnel and players, restricted to living in some dorm, etc.

Whether either is feasible depends on the number and veracity of the tests available at the time...as well as the current city/county/state policies in effect and the overall infection spread in the immediate region. We don't know what that'll look like, and neither does with the university, so i'm more shocked that there are 32% of universities that AREN'T considering whether they'll be online. I expect duke to have many many contingency plans, and if I were a betting person, I'd say football starts. Maybe we play in an empty stadium. But I believe it will happen. People are protesting here to open things up. What do you think they're going to do in football hotbeds like bama or louisiana if someone tries to tell them they can't play?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    The article is a bit sensationalist, as the big number they put up, 68% or whatever, includes schools "considering" it. If duke had contingency plans for a remote fall semester, are they in that bucket? Probably.

They cited a 5% number of college who are committed to online classes. Does that mean those schools will also have NO on-campus learning? They don't clarify nor cite their source (and the report they do cite doesn't validate that number).

So in terms of hard facts, the universities have no clue what's going to happen. They're preparing contingency plans which might include remote learning. Saying "colleges are going online for the fall semester" is mildly sensationalist at this point.

I imagine for duke, and thus sports, the university will do everything in their power to get students here...if it means they have to have students arrive over a 4 week period and individually test every single one of them as they arrive, require that they quarantine when not in class, and have all staff tested. The possibility of such, who knows. It would be much more feasible for the football team size-wise, and I imagine they are working on some sort of stringent rules there as well...testing of team personnel and players, restricted to living in some dorm, etc.

Whether either is feasible depends on the number and veracity of the tests available at the time...as well as the current city/county/state policies in effect and the overall infection spread in the immediate region. We don't know what that'll look like, and neither does with the university, so i'm more shocked that there are 32% of universities that AREN'T considering whether they'll be online. I expect duke to have many many contingency plans, and if I were a betting person, I'd say football starts. Maybe we play in an empty stadium. But I believe it will happen. People are protesting here to open things up. What do you think they're going to do in football hotbeds like bama or louisiana if someone tries to tell them they can't play?
    Wonder if you could have a football game with fans 6 ft apart.
    Some schools could do that now # wise ( no names).
    Would probably be impossible to monitor / enforce.
    Maybe tell folks if there are too many violations you don’t allow any fans. Might be fun.
    Not practical but interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickshaw View Post
    Wonder if you could have a football game with fans 6 ft apart.
    Some schools could do that now # wise ( no names).
    Would probably be impossible to monitor / enforce.
    Maybe tell folks if there are too many violations you don’t allow any fans. Might be fun.
    Not practical but interesting.
    I mean, it could even just be "groups" need to be 6 ft apart. If I'm living with my family, there isn't really any reason we would need to social distance at a football game when we're sharing the same residence.

Interesting story today on Bloomberg.com about the implication for college athletic budgets with the ongoing fallout of Covid-19:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-like-clemson