View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 27 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    "have to" is a strong word. Not sure how the rest of the world gets by.

Now I totally get the realities of modern day NBA players...but I also reject the notion that they couldn't solve that problem if they REALLY wanted to.
    No, I think to some degree “have to” is pretty accurate. Unless the players become subsistence farmers in their spare time and perhaps forego amenities like toilet paper or deoderant, there is going to have to be some degree of service provided to get them food. And unless WWoS can create their own entirely self-sufficient commune AND not allow anyone in the commune to leave, the providers are going to enter and exit the “bubble.” And that is going to introduce risk.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    No, I think to some degree “have to” is pretty accurate. Unless the players become subsistence farmers in their spare time and perhaps forego amenities like toilet paper or deoderant, there is going to have to be some degree of service provided to get them food. And unless WWoS can create their own entirely self-sufficient commune AND not allow anyone in the commune to leave, the providers are going to enter and exit the “bubble.” And that is going to introduce risk.
    exactly, sir...and I think Mr. Silver realizes this...providing these services in a state with the virus under control is one thing; doing it in FL now is quite another...

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    I know that Vermont has taken some creative approaches to bring skilled workers into the state, but I am genuinely concerned if you have to resort to one these guys for your basic healthcare needs.

Attachment 10976

On second thought, both dentists and Newfoundlands have plenty of experience dealing with saliva, so you may be on to something up there.
    Excellent! In fact, I'm told that one of my dentist's hygienists has a labrador retriever who had a cracked tooth, and after hours (pre pandemic, of course) they put him in a dental chair and worked on him...

Southern Cal is going to mostly online classes. No word yet about football. They're scheduled to be playing Bama on 9/5.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Southern Cal is going to mostly online classes. No word yet about football. They're scheduled to be playing Bama on 9/5.
    Just wait till someone decides that campus isn't safe for genpop students, but it is somehow safe for [unsalaried semipro] athletes who make the school a ton of money to play sports. My hero Jemele Hill is already writing her column in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Just wait till someone decides that campus isn't safe for genpop students, but it is somehow safe for [unsalaried semipro] athletes who make the school a ton of money to play sports. My hero Jemele Hill is already writing her column in my head.
    You just beat me to it...yes indeed, that's a heckuva way to go...campus isn't safe enough for our students, but for our cash producing student athletes? Hey, it's super safe for them...and the TV money we covet so much.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    You just beat me to it...yes indeed, that's a heckuva way to go...campus isn't safe enough for our students, but for our cash producing student athletes? Hey, it's super safe for them...and the TV money we covet so much.
    I kinda agree, but couldn't one also make the argument that by NOT having gen pop students, it's safer for athletes? That is, it's a much smaller population and transmission would be diminished. I would also expect the same decision for football players and field hockey players - you'd think at least. But it's odd for an academic institution to prioritize sports over academics...But they've been doing that in some ways for a while. I guess the challenge is that athletics requires cross-university competition whereas academics is contained to a single institution. So, what a university decides on academics has no impact on other campuses and they're not reliant on others to make the same decisions. However, for athletics, conferences and states may have different perspectives, so it's going to be challenging to ensure those all align.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I kinda agree, but couldn't one also make the argument that by NOT having gen pop students, it's safer for athletes? That is, it's a much smaller population and transmission would be diminished. I would also expect the same decision for football players and field hockey players - you'd think at least. But it's odd for an academic institution to prioritize sports over academics...But they've been doing that in some ways for a while. I guess the challenge is that athletics requires cross-university competition whereas academics is contained to a single institution. So, what a university decides on academics has no impact on other campuses and they're not reliant on others to make the same decisions. However, for athletics, conferences and states may have different perspectives, so it's going to be challenging to ensure those all align.
    I would find a decision like that to be utterly disgusting. And not unlikely.

The upcoming college football season is very much up in the air in the PAC.

An interesting sports story for the weekend is the plan to play The Basketball Tournament. That is the million dollar winner-take-all competition where players choose their own teams. They have their bubble set up in Columbus and told teams that positive tests before they got there would eliminate them. They had four standby teams for virus withdrawals and have already called in three of them. Considering that the losing teams do not get anything other than a little exposure that might get a few guys extra dollars overseas or a minor endorsement or two, there were still plenty of people willing to play. Rather appropriately, Iso Joe (Johnson) will be on one of the teams.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Considering that the losing teams do not get anything other than a little exposure
    In more ways than one.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

At the University of Washington there is a report of 105 Covid-19 cases in 15 frat houses in the wake of parties. Considering that USC will probably have few students on campus this Fall and the dangerous situation in Arizona, football in the Pac is in considerable jeopardy.

Also note the report that faculty members around the country are reluctant to come on campus. The threat to their health is far more serious than what students face. Will students want to show up on campus only to still see their profs mostly on their laptops and only party surreptitiously?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    ...only party surreptitiously?
    Considering most undergrads are not yet 21 but most undergrads drink, I suspect that having somewhat covert parties will not be a huge hassle for them.

Do not underrate the desire of a horny college student to socialize. I say that as the parent of two of those.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Considering most undergrads are not yet 21 but most undergrads drink, I suspect that having somewhat covert parties will not be a huge hassle for them.

Do not underrate the desire of a horny college student to socialize. I say that as the parent of two of those.
    it's not quite a secret that college administrations largely turn a blind eye to underage drinking...and i bet almost as much as anyone, the administrators wish the drinking age were 18...since the drinking would still occur as it does today, but the legal issue would disappear.

Anyway, I'm skeptical they would tolerate such subterfuge in this case, given the immense financial consequences of an outbreak to the university. And if such regulations cause parties to become smaller and "covert," then, well, mission accomplished.

In either case, I imagine violations of whatever exact rules are in place will be dealt with almost punitively. The university (or universities in general) literally can't afford for students' irresponsible behavior to cause an outbreak.
    1200. DDMF.

Baseball

Four Atlanta Braves, including Freddie Freeman, have tested positive and two have symptoms. https://twitter.com/Kelly_Crull/stat...36706836553730

Really wonder if there will be baseball this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Four Atlanta Braves, including Freddie Freeman, have tested positive and two have symptoms. https://twitter.com/Kelly_Crull/stat...36706836553730

Really wonder if there will be baseball this year.
    Freeman got a bad case. He has a high fever with aches and chills. The Braves are saying there is little chance he will join the team in the next couple weeks.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The NHL has chosen Edmonton and Toronto as their hub cities, with Edmonton to host the finals assuming the season is able to be played through completion. Took awhile, but given what's going in Florida (and Vegas which was an early leading candidate for the NHL), patience in choosing locales is looking smart.

https://www.masslive.com/bruins/2020...-resuming.html

Harvard announced this morning that all classes for 2020-2021 will be on-line.

Does not bode well for Ivy sports, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

"Multiple" ivy league coaches have reportedly said they expect the league (which is announcing its plan on Wed) to move all fall sports to spring. Forbes had already reported sources being nearly certain ivy football would be moved to spring.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...21-per-report/

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

I expect all of the colleges and universities in the country to have only on-line classes for the entirety of the 2020-2021 school year.