View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 16 of 100 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    With the NBA saying July 31, it would appear the 8 people who said May-July have won this little guessing game.
    Anyone else think one of the 8 is Duke alum Adam Silver and he rigged the return date to July 31 rather than August 1 so that he could win this poll? Since he has nothing else to worry about these days...

Why it's going to be hard to resume college athletics:
    As College Teams Return, So Does the Coronavirus
    This past week, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Marshall, Mississippi and Alabama disclosed multiple positive cases among athletes and athletic personnel
    Wall Street Journal

that will deter some schools, and not others...can't conceive of SEC schools not playing, same for Big 12...Cash is King.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I have a HS junior. I wonder what a massive gap year cohort does to his class' prospects for admissions and frosh year. Surely frosh dorms can't handle a class and a half, and then there're all those typical freshman classes.
    The easy answer for a HS junior is get 1 year of AP credits. Most high schools would let you do independent study in the 1990's. https://apstudents.collegeboard.org/course-index-page

Sadly, if you don't want to do Duke in 3 years (which does occur normally), you might have to consider online colleges like Stanford and Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    that will deter some schools, and not others...can't conceive of SEC schools not playing, same for Big 12...Cash is King.
    A personal 9,000 SF strength and training facility is the answer. The NCAA will give the green light to anything if each student gets the same thing. My other solution overlaps to the general coronavirus thread and will not be posted here.

In today's New York Times, there is a poll of 511 epidemiologists, asking them when they'd feel comfortable doing various things, such as getting a haircut, flying on an airplane, or attending a sporting event.

Significant majority, 64%, said it would be a year plus (1 year +) before they'd consider going to a sporting event, play or concert.

44% said they'd fly on an airplane in 3-12 months, 37% said it it would be 1 year +.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

In today's New York Times, there is a poll of 511 epidemiologists, asking them when they'd feel comfortable doing various things, such as getting a haircut, flying on an airplane, or attending a sporting event.

Significant majority, 64%, said it would be a year plus (1 year +) before they'd consider going to a sporting event, play or concert.

44% said they'd fly on an airplane in 3-12 months, 37% said it it would be 1 year +.

Air travel seems like a horrible idea at the moment, unless there was an extremely compelling reason to go somewhere. I expect recreational trips are curtailed for a long, long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Air travel seems like a horrible idea at the moment, unless there was an extremely compelling reason to go somewhere. I expect recreational trips are curtailed for a long, long time.
    yeah, all the videos of airplane crews wiping down seats with Clorox is nice, but the moment a sick guy sits down on either side of you, behind you, or in front of you, that's out the proverbial window. Some people will choose to travel, but at my age I don't see it happening until we get The Jab.

yeah, all the videos of airplane crews wiping down seats with Clorox is nice, but the moment a sick guy sits down on either side of you, behind you, or in front of you, that's out the proverbial window. Some people will choose to travel, but at my age I don't see it happening until we get The Jab.
    Defenestration from an airplane? What will those Russians think of next?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Defenestration from an airplane? What will those Russians think of next?
    "U.S. Airborne: Safely Self-Defenestrating Since 1944"

Thanks. This is interesting. Not all of the answers are intuitive. I think that hiking with friends, particularly if you are distanced and wearing masks, is a pretty safe activity right now. Much more safe than going on an overnight vacation, which seems to worry them less. I think a big part of the answer to some of these questions is where you are and what precautions are being taken. I would feel a lot better being the only one in a barber shop getting my haircut in a part of the country where the prevalence is very low vs. being in a crowded barber shop where no one is wearing masks and no cleanliness precautions are being enforced in a high prevalence area.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Thanks. This is interesting. Not all of the answers are intuitive. I think that hiking with friends, particularly if you are distanced and wearing masks, is a pretty safe activity right now. Much more safe than going on an overnight vacation, which seems to worry them less. I think a big part of the answer to some of these questions is where you are and what precautions are being taken. I would feel a lot better being the only one in a barber shop getting my haircut in a part of the country where the prevalence is very low vs. being in a crowded barber shop where no one is wearing masks and no cleanliness precautions are being enforced in a high prevalence area.
    yes, I agree...where we walk, we just don't get close to people at all, period...and my hairtician (can't get an appointment for three weeks) lives locally, away from the fray, has purely a Social Security clientele and strict mask on guidelines...but I've seen lots of video as you have, crowded barber shops, and clogged bike paths...it's situational I guess...

The New York Times surveyed a large number of epidemiologists about their comfort level on doing certain things during the Pandemic.

Going to sporting events anytime soon is not seen as a good thing.

Almost two-thirds think we should wait a year or more.

This should not be behind a paywall, as it's COVID-19 related.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Just got my first haircut since February. Uneventful. Single chair shop. "You should have seen the hair I've had to cut," said Denise the barber. "Really long?" I asked with my usual cluelessness. "No! People who've been cutting their own hair!"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

A new data point on football attendance, for what it's worth, from the Michigan State athletic director...he says current conversations with "experts" advising him is that (as of now) football attendance would be limited to somewhere between 17% and 35% of capacity...imagine the tussle from ticketholders as to who gets a seat and who doesn't (assuming demand is high). Hard to imagine SEC schools will reduce capacity that much, if at all, but we'll see.

A new data point on football attendance, for what it's worth, from the Michigan State athletic director...he says current conversations with "experts" advising him is that (as of now) football attendance would be limited to somewhere between 17% and 35% of capacity...imagine the tussle from ticketholders as to who gets a seat and who doesn't (assuming demand is high). Hard to imagine SEC schools will reduce capacity that much, if at all, but we'll see.
    I wonder if the consequent crowding at the tailgates will pose a greater health hazard than would crowding in the stands.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Just got my first haircut since February. Uneventful. Single chair shop. "You should have seen the hair I've had to cut," said Denise the barber. "Really long?" I asked with my usual cluelessness. "No! People who've been cutting their own hair!"
    The haircut I gave myself (with a little bit of help from my wife) was actually at least as good and probably better than many of the professional cuts I've had over the years. I bought an awesome clipper and I'm going to keep giving myself haircuts for the foreseeable future.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    The haircut I gave myself (with a little bit of help from my wife) was actually at least as good and probably better than many of the professional cuts I've had over the years. I bought an awesome clipper and I'm going to keep giving myself haircuts for the foreseeable future.
    There have been two people in my life that have been consistently good at cutting my hair. It turns out that one trained the other (who subsequently left the hair cutting business to teach other people). In the course of learning these things, I learned that there is very little good training out there for cutting hair. The bulk of the training is health and safety (infection control/using chemicals, etc.).

At any rate, I have not had a haircut since early March and my wife won't even consider cutting my hair. I've made an appointment for late June, but am going to keep an eye on the rolling 14 day average of percentage positive cases. We been right around 3% locally for a nice long while, and if it stays that way I may have a nice new style in a few weeks. If the numbers go the wrong directly, I may be sporting a man-bun before this thing is all over.

All of which is to say, I am a long way away from going to a sporting event.
    Carolina delenda est

For all you guys needing a haircut, I have one word for you - Flowbee - look it up. I haven't paid for a haircut in 35 years.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

MLS Resuming July 8

"Major League Soccer will resume its suspended season on July 8 with a league-wide tournament in Orlando at Disney World's ESPN Wide World of Sports complex, the league announced today. " -CNN

Who knew Disney World was going to become the epi-center of professional sports??

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    "Major League Soccer will resume its suspended season on July 8 with a league-wide tournament in Orlando at Disney World's ESPN Wide World of Sports complex, the league announced today. " -CNN

Who knew Disney World was going to become the epi-center of professional sports??
    Before Covid, I had no idea that place even existed...with room for copious hoop and soccer games, what do they use the complex for when we aren't hiding from a virus?