View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 28 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Freeman got a bad case. He has a high fever with aches and chills. The Braves are saying there is little chance he will join the team in the next couple weeks.
    And Nick Markakis now says that after having a phone conversation with Freeman, he’s freaked out and has decided to sit out the season.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Harvard announced this morning that all classes for 2020-2021 will be on-line.

Does not bode well for Ivy sports, obviously.
    Note that Harvard anticipates hosting 40% of its undergraduate students on campus this Fall, which I believe means that while all courses will be offered on-line, many of them will also be taught in person. Certainly these are big changes, but I'm not sure they're as dramatic--YET--as this statement leaves room to infer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    "Multiple" ivy league coaches have reportedly said they expect the league (which is announcing its plan on Wed) to move all fall sports to spring. Forbes had already reported sources being nearly certain ivy football would be moved to spring.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...21-per-report/
    I’m confused. If Harvard already announced that all classes will be on-line for the entire 2020-2021 school year then wouldn’t that also mean Harvard won’t be having sports in either fall or spring?

So how then could the fall sports be moved to spring if everything is going to be done on-line for both the fall and the spring? Something doesn’t seem to add up.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’m confused. If Harvard already announced that all classes will be on-line for the entire 2020-2021 school year then wouldn’t that also mean Harvard won’t be having sports in either fall or spring?

So how then could the fall sports be moved to spring if everything is going to be done on-line for both the fall and the spring? Something doesn’t seem to add up.
    Technically, you can be on the field and not in the classroom. Worked for Carolina.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Technically, you can be on the field and not in the classroom. Worked for Carolina.
    Good point. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post

See my post above; as best I can tell Harvard is simply saying that all classes will be available online; it's not saying that none will be available in person. Given that they expect up to 40% of undergrads to be on campus, it appears they expect some in-person learning, and perhaps teaching. According to the internet, about 20% of Harvard undergraduates participate in intercollegiate athletics.

https://planetprinceton.com/2020/07/...fall-semester/

Princeton will have about 50% of undergrads on campus, 10% discount on tuition (is that enough?) and some other reduced fees...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    https://planetprinceton.com/2020/07/...fall-semester/

Princeton will have about 50% of undergrads on campus, 10% discount on tuition (is that enough?) and some other reduced fees...
    Perhaps not, but it's the first place I've heard of that's actually discounting tuition, so it's being more generous that every other institution in that regard (note: I have heard of universities reimbursing for room and board that ended up not being used, but not tuition).

"Multiple" ivy league coaches have reportedly said they expect the league (which is announcing its plan on Wed) to move all fall sports to spring. Forbes had already reported sources being nearly certain ivy football would be moved to spring.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...21-per-report/
    I can confirm this expectation as the father of a Dartmouth athlete (women's soccer). Can also confirm that Dartmouth's overall plan for 2020-21 is being widely panned by students and parents, given the school's advantageous location, very low COVID incidence to date in the region, and excellent healthcare resources.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's humorous that colleges are emphasizing students being grouped together in classrooms.

Because parties in dorms and offsite apartments never happen. With outsiders.

In the off topic thread, RSVMan talked a little about his kid at BYU, running some housing there. And that's at BYU! Which I guess IF you are going to hope that such things don't happen, that would be the place. Every other college in America is gonna be full "Party on, Garth!"
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by orrnot View Post
    See my post above; as best I can tell Harvard is simply saying that all classes will be available online; it's not saying that none will be available in person. Given that they expect up to 40% of undergrads to be on campus, it appears they expect some in-person learning, and perhaps teaching. According to the internet, about 20% of Harvard undergraduates participate in intercollegiate athletics.
    That's not correct - all classes will be remote, regardless of whether the student is residing on campus or not.

The interim planning report established that all course instruction (undergraduate and graduate) for the 2020-21 academic year will be delivered online. Students will learn remotely, whether or not they live on campus.
    https://www.fas.harvard.edu/fas-deci...x2FptuGJ5ZpBCc
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Good point. I appreciate the correction.

I had imagined that as one of the potential variations, but I hadn’t considered it likely. I’ve been surprised by many developments along this way. It will certainly be interesting to see if this model spreads.

I suppose it does keep the door open for athletics.

That's not correct - all classes will be remote, regardless of whether the student is residing on campus or not.

https://www.fas.harvard.edu/fas-deci...x2FptuGJ5ZpBCc
    According to that link, Harvard announces its athletics plan on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    According to that link, Harvard announces its athletics plan on Wednesday.
    Didn't I read that the Ivies are doing it en masse, right? Can't believe they'll play Fall sports with half the kids not on campus.

There is a proposal evidently to play Fall sports in the Spring...

If the Ivies indeed are moving fall sports to the spring, it will be interesting to see how that affects basketball overall. I guess they can just forfeit all the games they were playing against other teams in November/December, and then pick up wherever they may be in January. That won't affect their conference champion/ NCAA selection, but it sure will affect another of other schools who had them on their schedule early. One of those teams affected would be Duke's women, who are supposed to play Penn at the end of November.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    If the Ivies indeed are moving fall sports to the spring, it will be interesting to see how that affects basketball overall. I guess they can just forfeit all the games they were playing against other teams in November/December, and then pick up wherever they may be in January. That won't affect their conference champion/ NCAA selection, but it sure will affect another of other schools who had them on their schedule early. One of those teams affected would be Duke's women, who are supposed to play Penn at the end of November.
    when they say "fall sports" do they mean fall sports? (basketball is a winter sport), or any sport that overlaps with the fall semester?
    April 1

^ we dunno yet, it's all being discussed, but I think the league is announcing a decision tomorrow...unaddicted by TV money, I think they make the obvious choice and at least delay until the Spring...we'll see.

As an aside, I can't imagine any non-Ivy school expecting an Ivy to forfeit a basketball game because of a global pandemic. It's just a canceled game.

Let's say the ACC goes the spring route. I'm trying to imagine the strain on resources in, let's say, a late February weekend, when a school has a football game on Saturday, men's basketball on Saturday, women's basketball on Sunday, a baseball series on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, maybe some soccer and lacrosse and field hockey and cross-country and tennis thrown into the mix.

Yikes!!

Now, if there are no fans, that solves the parking problem. But how many of these can you get on TV? Or even radio/internet? Will the media be allowed in? Or quarantined? In either event you're going to need some way to communicate with the absent fans and your media-relations people aren't going to be able to be at three sports at once. These people work gruesome hours but usually along the lines of three seasons/three sports. One season/three sports is a whole different world of hurt.

And you're not going to be hiring new people with a significant revenue shortfall.

And if you do have fans, where do they all park? And how do you ask fans of multiple sports to buy tickets for games they can't possibly attend because they're attending another sporting event?

And let's look at football in particular. Start in January? Can you ask Boston College or Notre Dame to play at home in January? Play real games in indoor practice facilities? Push the start back to spring and you're playing football in June, with fall practice to begin in August? Play a six-game schedule, an eight-game schedule?

Yes, fall football is looking increasingly problematic and all of these problems pale beside the one of people dying and all that. But it doesn't mean it's going to be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    As an aside, I can't imagine any non-Ivy school expecting an Ivy to forfeit a basketball game because of a global pandemic. It's just a canceled game.

Let's say the ACC goes the spring route. I'm trying to imagine the strain on resources in, let's say, a late February weekend, when a school has a football game on Saturday, men's basketball on Saturday, women's basketball on Sunday, a baseball series on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, maybe some soccer and lacrosse and field hockey and cross-country and tennis thrown into the mix.

Yikes!!

Now, if there are no fans, that solves the parking problem. But how many of these can you get on TV? Or even radio/internet? Will the media be allowed in? Or quarantined? In either event you're going to need some way to communicate with the absent fans and your media-relations people aren't going to be able to be at three sports at once. These people work gruesome hours but usually along the lines of three seasons/three sports. One season/three sports is a whole different world of hurt.

And you're not going to be hiring new people with a significant revenue shortfall.

And if you do have fans, where do they all park? And how do you ask fans of multiple sports to buy tickets for games they can't possibly attend because they're attending another sporting event?

And let's look at football in particular. Start in January? Can you ask Boston College or Notre Dame to play at home in January? Play real games in indoor practice facilities? Push the start back to spring and you're playing football in June, with fall practice to begin in August? Play a six-game schedule, an eight-game schedule?

Yes, fall football is looking increasingly problematic and all of these problems pale beside the one of people dying and all that. But it doesn't mean it's going to be easy.
    Interesting thoughts about media staffing, budgeting shortfalls, etc. I don't think much about infrastructure, but of course Jim would.

Hard to predict what will be available in 3, 6 or 9 months, and there's a reasonable chance that the pro contact sports will flail. In that case, plenty of people would be happy to watch college-level Olympic sports, such as what could be available on the ACC Network.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Yikes!!

Very good points.