View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 97 of 100 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 1999
    Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Duke has made the decision to decline hosting the ACC Field Hockey Championship.
    Considering that we only won one game this year Duke was probably too embarrassed to host the championship.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This is repulsive and abhorrent to me. I want to make sure it is absolutely clear that I have never felt this way. I don't wish to see anybody infected. I would love it if we could have an entire football season and nobody got infected. And i don't begrudge a young, talented athlete (who was unfortunate enough to have a pandemic hit right when it was their time to play) wanting to play despite the pandemic.
    At the same time I don't think it should come as a particular surprise to anyone when one or more of those athletes becomes infected. I wish them all well.
    Yes, agree with you - it is abhorrent. It is abhorrent when someone says that a kid deserves to get sick because he has advocated to - and ultimately play - in a sanctioned sport. Imagine if someone said he deserved having his leg broken because he played football – as it is a dangerous sport. I am glad to hear that you do not feel that way – but it seems that others do although although no one will admit they do - as it is , as you note, abhorrent.

It is very clear that some people view it as inappropriate in these times to play football. Others do not see it that way.

Trevor Lawrence and every football player assumes meaningful and real risk of injury each time they play football. Whether head injury, knee injury and every other injury that can be sustained. With the hundreds of athletes in the NCAA that have tested positive for the virus, thankfully none have been identified as suffering real harm. That may change – but hopefully it does not.

As my father (who is 81-years old) said last night - my assessment of the risk to me of this virus is different than that of a 20-year-old. And he is correct. There is a meaningful difference in risk based on age and health. And that may explain - or may not explain (I have not spoken to Trevor Lawrence or other athletes) – why Trevor Lawrence is OK with playing football.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Duke has made the decision to decline hosting the ACC Field Hockey Championship.
    Can't blame them.

-jk

Good article about Penn State and today's game with Ohio State

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...e-coronavirus/

"Past these walls, through the locked gate, across the fields and throughout campus, people are bracing. Football is coming, and so are gatherings, starting Saturday night, when one of the nation’s best teams, Ohio State, comes to town. There’s a university president who’s afraid of what that could mean. A sports-obsessed epidemiologist refusing to watch. Players with upended lives. The owner of an iconic bar who’s worried about killing someone. A mayor who believes the best thing for his city, one whose economy is built on football, is for the home team to lose."

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...e-coronavirus/

"Past these walls, through the locked gate, across the fields and throughout campus, people are bracing. Football is coming, and so are gatherings, starting Saturday night, when one of the nation’s best teams, Ohio State, comes to town. There’s a university president who’s afraid of what that could mean. A sports-obsessed epidemiologist refusing to watch. Players with upended lives. The owner of an iconic bar who’s worried about killing someone. A mayor who believes the best thing for his city, one whose economy is built on football, is for the home team to lose."
    thank goodness they'll get their TV revenue...

latest updates from duke...

COMPLIANCE AND CONDUCT UPDATES

As a reminder, enforcement of Duke’s policies is a part of our COVID response. These efforts are nuanced and hold students progressively accountable depending on the severity of the violations. Since August 7, we have taken the following actions:

19 — Administrative Action Hearings held (for individuals and groups) recommending interim actions such as suspension of activities, loss of campus privileges, remote learning, etc.
    5 — Campus organizations placed on suspension
    6 — Individual students issued interim suspensions for flagrant violations of COVID policy expectations and the Duke Compact pending an administrative hearing, including for hosting gatherings and failing to follow quarantine and isolation protocols to protect fellow students.
    179 — Sanctions implemented by either Office of Student Conduct or Housing and Residence Life—these actions are part of a student’s conduct record and in some cases reportable to graduate schools, study away programs, and employers
    408 — Students referred for educational interventions for less severe infractions of the Duke Compact—these outcomes are not part of a students’ disciplinary record
    11 — Pending cases under review for potential administrative action involving more flagrant misconduct and persistent non-compliance by individuals.
    As a result of these violations, some students have lost their right to remain on campus and must work remotely for the remainder of the semester. Some also face charges that could result in their suspension or permanent expulsion from Duke.

Aside from the punishment side, they're also clamping down harder in response to the increased numbers worldwide:

Limit ANY group gatherings, even small ones! People are giving each other COVID in groups of even 2-3. Don’t risk it.
    Don’t eat together or share food. All Duke Dining locations are now pick-up only, and eating is no longer allowed in common rooms. Stay at least 6’ apart while eating, and choose a safer place to eat—outside or in your room, away from crowds. This means no groups crowded around a table or sitting close together indoors or outdoors.
    April 1

Clemson to cancel track and field and cross-country programs.

https://clemsontigers.com/letter-fro...cross-country/

Cal vs. Washington football game canceled, and declared a no-contest, due to positive test on the Cal team.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...20no%20contest.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Clemson to cancel track and field and cross-country programs.

https://clemsontigers.com/letter-fro...cross-country/
    Canceling only the men’s programs. Track & Field surprises me a bit, but COVID is forcing tough financial decisions at many schools.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Canceling only the men’s programs. Track & Field surprises me a bit, but COVID is forcing tough financial decisions at many schools.
    i wonder if the women's team will do like william and mary and refuse to compete...since they know they're next on the chopping block.
    April 1

I assume Title Nine saved the women's programs, for now, at least. But Clemson is taking a big PR hit on this because T&F is a pretty racially-diverse sport.

I assume Title Nine saved the women's programs, for now, at least. But Clemson is taking a big PR hit on this because T&F is a pretty racially-diverse sport.
    that seems to be the common saving grace for track...as it most directly impacts minority athletes. Brown and Minnesota both made that case successfully. W&M, the women's team refused to compete, and won that battle. T&F is not going down without a fight.
    April 1

Heart issues in athletes

Interesting article written by an imaging cardiologist: https://theconversation.com/even-if-...to-know-149243

"At West Virginia University, my colleagues and I examined 54 student athletes who had tested positive for COVID-19 three to five weeks earlier.

We didn’t find convincing signs of ongoing myocarditis, but we did see a lot of evidence of pericarditis. Among the student athletes screened, 40% had pericardial enhancement, suggesting resolving inflammation in the sac that protects the heart, and 58% had pericardial effusion, meaning excess fluid had built up.

The Ivy League has cancelled winter sports for 2020-2021.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ay-sources-say

Quote Originally Posted by DST Fan View Post
    The Ivy League has cancelled winter sports for 2020-2021.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ay-sources-say
    Deja vu all over again?

The Ivy League was ahead of the shutdown-curve back in March. And no rational analysis of where we're at with COVID-19 at the present time suggests that completing a college-basketball season is remotely a sure thing.

Deja vu all over again?

The Ivy League was ahead of the shutdown-curve back in March. And no rational analysis of where we're at with COVID-19 at the present time suggests that completing a college-basketball season is remotely a sure thing.
    Recent news is not encouraging...aside from the vaccine and treatment, both of which will take some time to be available enough to ameliorate the situation. And the news about Izzo is especially concerning to me. Not because he got CoVid (I am surprised more coaches...especially in football... haven’t gotten it), but because he firmly believes he has been as careful as possible, and he has no clue when or from whom he got it. If that is the case, I find it hard to believe that many of his team won’t also get it (or don’t already have it).

Frequent testing for these athletes is a real help (and maybe finding cases that would have gone undiagnosed if not for college sports), and early treatment seems to be very effective. But I would hate to be the parent of a star basketball player who gets CoVid and ends up with a bad case, or lingering heart or lung issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post

If the ACC schedule ends up being 10 conference and 1 OOC game per team, that's 165 games. 6% is 10 games. If the ACC "only" had 10 football games postponed due to COVID, do you think that'll be considered a success? Again, I'd love to hear why anybody thinks college football, following a similar model to baseball but with more contact and bigger teams in a region of the country with more cases in the population, will fare even comparably to baseball.
    Sigh...three months later, we appear to have hit a tipping point. There were 49 FBS games scheduled for tomorrow, and 15 (30%) have been postponed or canceled (so far). Scroll to the bottom to see the current list:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule

SEC, ACC, Big 10, Pac 12 are all affected. I'm as big of a college football fan as anybody, but why are we doing this? (Also, why is it that the weeknight games have all been played, but Saturday is seeing such a significant impact? Geography?)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    Sigh...three months later, we appear to have hit a tipping point. There were 49 FBS games scheduled for tomorrow, and 15 (30%) have been postponed or canceled (so far). Scroll to the bottom to see the current list:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule

SEC, ACC, Big 10, Pac 12 are all affected. I'm as big of a college football fan as anybody, but why are we doing this? (Also, why is it that the weeknight games have all been played, but Saturday is seeing such a significant impact? Geography?)
    Why are we doing thi$? It’$ a my$tery to me. Anybody el$e have any idea$?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I mean, I agree to am extent but high school sports including football have continued on in most states and there's no money involved there...the kids wanna play. Not saying they should be, but many states have prioritized sport playing over in person education. Many top flight basketball and football high schoolers from my state (where those sports are not allowed to compete) have moved states for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    it really is a complete embarrI'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ment, it truly i$. I see our plans for a MBB season as pretty fanciful at this point.