View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

    8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

    41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

    17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

    14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

    7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

    2 2.25%
Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 4585939495
Results 1,881 to 1,898 of 1898
  1. #1881
    Duke will have to postpone a few more games due to the other team. It has already been decided that Virginia Tech will not have enough available players for the volleyball matches scheduled next weekend.

    As of right now, Haley Gorecki is finally supposed to play her first professional game as her team had cases that postponed their first two games. She talk a little bit about quarantine on the latest Duke Women's Basketball podcast. There have been issues with other teams in Spain as the federation pushed back the entire opening weekend for the second division, including the professional debut for Crystal Primm, who was at Duke for a few seasons.

    UEFA made it through qualification for their club competitions, although a few late round games ended up being farcical due to the players that some of the teams were missing. They are also allowing fans in accordance with local guidelines for group stage games and national team games. They are still in better shape than AFC as they had to kick out teams from West Asia who could not field teams for their Champions League games. Again, it is a bit of a surprise how many positive tests can be had without some of these games being postponed.

  2. #1882
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Watching the Georgia-Auburn game (at Georgia). The said it is 1/5 filled but it looks like a lot more than that as there are a lot of clusters while the upper deck seems less crowded.. And maybe 60% of the crowd at best is wearing masks - frequent shots of kids screaming at the top of their lungs with no mask and lots of people directly in front of them. And they just showed Kirby Smart who is wearing a nice chin strap while he talks to his players.

  3. #1883
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Watching the Georgia-Auburn game (at Georgia). The said it is 1/5 filled but it looks like a lot more than that as there are a lot of clusters while the upper deck seems less crowded.. And maybe 60% of the crowd at best is wearing masks - frequent shots of kids screaming at the top of their lungs with no mask and lots of people directly in front of them. And they just showed Kirby Smart who is wearing a nice chin strap while he talks to his players.
    Agree with you. But 20% of a 93,000 seat stadium is still a lot of people.

  4. #1884
    This thread has pretty much run its course I guess, but has anyone learned when Duke football might return?

  5. #1885
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This thread has pretty much run its course I guess, but has anyone learned when Duke football might return?
    Ouch.

  6. #1886
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This thread has pretty much run its course I guess, but has anyone learned when Duke football might return?
    In gambling—whether in stocks, sports bets, or Covid policy—doubling down is a tempting approach that sometimes works. Doubling down is also accompanied by such phrases as “good money after bad” and “don’t try to catch a falling knife.” And that certainly applies to riding the anti-mask train even now.

    As for the topic of this thread, we coulda ended it after we played Notre Dame. Sports returned.

    And now we see the fallout of half-pretending that Covid is under control. Huge masses of fans, players, and coaches simply won’t follow protocol, and Covid outbreaks remain routine. SMU kicked out all of its students from the game yesterday, which is noteworthy not because students were disregarding repeated efforts to get them to wear masks and distance (That’s apparently standard in Texas and the southeast) but because SMU had the guts to stick to its rules. To tempt the Fates that say to avoid politics and religion, we see the president of Notre Dame join a variety of politicos who hang inside a room, without masks, potentially infecting each other as well as such non-politicos as the young Barrett children and Mrs. Scalia. It’s all part of the decision to play a contact sport that involves large groups of late adolescent men and other adults who tend to be risk-friendly and dismissive of safety measures.

  7. #1887
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    As for the topic of this thread, we coulda ended it after we played Notre Dame. Sports returned.
    Well, the title of the thread includes "specifically NCAAB"...so not there yet.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  8. #1888
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well, the title of the thread includes "specifically NCAAB"...so not there yet.
    An athletic Appalachian State undergrad died last week of neuro complications of Covid. The campus is, understandably, in shock.

    On the other hand:

    “With her parents planning to visit that weekend, she said, she tried to get a rapid test on campus, only to be told she would have to wait four days. The closest CVS pharmacy offering rapid results was in Tennessee, so she called her family physician, who sent her to a health facility 90 minutes away.

    She tested negative, she said, but the experience left her impatient with those who shrug off precautions. A friend texted her on Thursday, saying that he had tested positive, she said, “and then literally, two hours later, a girl in our sorority posted a picture, and he was in the picture!”

    Metzger laughed, shaking her head at the scene: “No one is wearing masks. And they’re all over each other.”

    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/u...ies-covid.html

    And, according to the article, The NY Times survey found 130,000 documented cases on college campuses, which is amazing given that tests are frequently not done, and school has only been open a month or two.

    Will basketball be played? probably.

    Will basketball be played safely? Not at this rate.

  9. #1889
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham

    Latest notes from the university

    21 — Administrative Action Hearings held (for individuals and groups) recommending interim actions such as suspension of activities, loss of campus privileges, remote learning, etc.
    4 — Campus organizations placed on suspension
    6 — Individual students issued interim suspensions for flagrant violations of COVID policy expectations and the Duke Compact pending an administrative hearing, including for hosting gatherings and failing to follow quarantine and isolation protocols to protect fellow students.
    104 — Sanctions implemented by either Office of Student Conduct or Housing and Residence Life - these actions are part of a student’s conduct record and in some cases reportable to graduate schools, study away programs, and employers
    293 — Students referred for educational interventions for less severe infractions of the Duke Compact - these outcomes are not part of a students’ disciplinary record
    9 — Pending cases under review for potential administrative action involving more flagrant misconduct and persistent non-compliance by individuals.


    If that doesn't catch students' attentions, who knows what will. Throw parties? Get a vacation from duke for an unknown amount of time. Being a Duke student is a priviledge, and it seems 6 students found that out the hard way.
    While it would be more appropriate for our friends in raleigh, it's not unfitting that the UNC fight song is the same tune as "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay"

  10. #1890
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    21 — Administrative Action Hearings held (for individuals and groups) recommending interim actions such as suspension of activities, loss of campus privileges, remote learning, etc.
    4 — Campus organizations placed on suspension
    6 — Individual students issued interim suspensions for flagrant violations of COVID policy expectations and the Duke Compact pending an administrative hearing, including for hosting gatherings and failing to follow quarantine and isolation protocols to protect fellow students.
    104 — Sanctions implemented by either Office of Student Conduct or Housing and Residence Life - these actions are part of a student’s conduct record and in some cases reportable to graduate schools, study away programs, and employers
    293 — Students referred for educational interventions for less severe infractions of the Duke Compact - these outcomes are not part of a students’ disciplinary record
    9 — Pending cases under review for potential administrative action involving more flagrant misconduct and persistent non-compliance by individuals.


    If that doesn't catch students' attentions, who knows what will. Throw parties? Get a vacation from duke for an unknown amount of time. Being a Duke student is a priviledge, and it seems 6 students found that out the hard way.
    Guessing those 6 were in someway related to the 4 organizations that were suspended. Wonder what those were. Clubs? Frats/sororities?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  11. #1891
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Guessing those 6 were in someway related to the 4 organizations that were suspended. Wonder what those were. Clubs? Frats/sororities?
    no idea. Though I do wonder if they'll try to invoke the "right to party" defense at their hearing...
    While it would be more appropriate for our friends in raleigh, it's not unfitting that the UNC fight song is the same tune as "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay"

  12. #1892
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    no idea. Though I do wonder if they'll try to invoke the "right to party" defense at their hearing...
    You gotta fight for that right.

  13. #1893
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    no idea. Though I do wonder if they'll try to invoke the "right to party" defense at their hearing...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You gotta fight for that right.
    I literally have the Beasties on in the background as I'm reading this, ha!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  14. #1894
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I literally have the Beasties on in the background as I'm reading this, ha!
    I guess "Licensed to Ill" has a different meaning in this context . . . .

  15. #1895
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I guess "Licensed to Ill" has a different meaning in this context . . . .
    I think these kids might have Sabotaged their futures.

  16. #1896
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Saban tests positive


  17. #1897
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston’Salem
    Wisconsin cancels its football game against Nebraska after 12 Bucky Badgers (six players, six staff including the HC) test positive.

    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...covid-19-cases
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  18. #1898
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Will the World Series turn out to be a Super Spreader event?

    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...i15vql8i6lsuf4

Similar Threads

  1. Ivy League Commissioner (Duke Alum) on When Sports Might Return
    By summerwind03 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2020, 07:53 AM
  2. The Return of the XFL
    By BLPOG in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-17-2019, 03:27 PM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-06-2015, 08:13 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 09:48 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 03:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •