View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 92 of 100 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 1999
    Big Ten football to resume on October 24, just in time for the second wave of Covid-19, not that the first wave ever receded. They're planning an 8 game season.

What will the PAC do? What will the Rose Bowl do?

do we know if there will be the usual copious bowl games this year? Can bowls get by with TV money alone? I imagine payouts to teams would be pretty low...many (most?) bowls usually require chosen teams to buy a whole lot of tickets..

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    do we know if there will be the usual copious bowl games this year? Can bowls get by with TV money alone? I imagine payouts to teams would be pretty low...many (most?) bowls usually require chosen teams to buy a whole lot of tickets..
    given schools usually lose money on bowls, I can't imagine most would be too keen on extending the risk more than is necessary to secure the league tv money.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    given schools usually lose money on bowls, I can't imagine most would be too keen on extending the risk more than is necessary to secure the league tv money.
    Bowl games are enormous money makers.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Bowl games are enormous money makers.
    Enormous money makers....for a small number of schools.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/op-ed...y%20doing%20so.

For many teams, making a bowl game is the highlight of the season, giving student-athletes a unique experience and schools opportunities for exposure, but between 10 and 20 schools each year actually lose money by doing so. Most of the profits go to a few top bowls, while lesser known bowls make do with smaller payouts, suboptimal time slots and less-than-full stadiums. But even if fan interest is low, participating schools must either sell or cover the cost of thousands of tickets. In all, between 2009 and 2014, schools and conferences were left on the hook for more than $92 million in unsold tickets, not to mention the litany of other expenses required to go bowling.
    Aside from those 10-20 that lose money, I would love to see a distribution...i imagine the tail is significantly long for the playoffs and other big 6 bowls (or whatever they're called these days), and most teams are right around break even.
    April 1

A lot has been written that perhaps the biggest beneficiaries of bowls are the bowl committees themselves...those guys lavish themselves with money and benefits.

Definitely true that for the lesser bowls, schools (like Duke) make little or no money as they have to buy minimum numbers of tickets...however, overall, since conference teams share bowl revenue, P5 schools do quite well due to the TV money...Clemmons making the playoffs has certainly not hurt ACC payouts...

I'm just wondering if a lot of the lesser bowls, e.g. The Horned Toad Buffet Bowl, can actually be held without fans (is the TV revenue enough alone)...or maybe ALL bowls can be held in South Dakota in front of packed stadiums, I really have no idea where this is going.

...Clemmons making the playoffs has certainly not hurt ACC payouts...
    Wow! I did not know that one of our own DBR posters had made the playoffs! We are truly in the presence of greatness!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

A lot has been written that perhaps the biggest beneficiaries of bowls are the bowl committees themselves...those guys lavish themselves with money and benefits.

Definitely true that for the lesser bowls, schools (like Duke) make little or no money as they have to buy minimum numbers of tickets
    ...however, overall, since conference teams share bowl revenue, P5 schools do quite well due to the TV money...Clemmons making the playoffs has certainly not hurt ACC payouts...

I'm just wondering if a lot of the lesser bowls, e.g. The Horned Toad Buffet Bowl, can actually be held without fans (is the TV revenue enough alone)...or maybe ALL bowls can be held in South Dakota in front of packed stadiums, I really have no idea where this is going.
    This is why i'm skeptical most teams would bother accepting the invitation. It would depend on whether their league policy demands they accept an invitation to get the sweet sweet league money.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    This is why i'm skeptical most teams would bother accepting the invitation. It would depend on whether their league policy demands they accept an invitation to get the sweet sweet league money.
    yeah, it's hardly clear. Though IF there are bowls, I would imagine that Cut and White would want Duke to go because it's worth losing some money to them to be able to claim we got to another bowl game...

Coaches who make minor bowl games love them because they get those extra weeks of practice which gives them a head start to make another minor bowl game the following season which gives them a few weeks of extra practice, well you can fill in the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Coaches who make minor bowl games love them because they get those extra weeks of practice which gives them a head start to make another minor bowl game the following season which gives them a few weeks of extra practice, well you can fill in the rest.
    And every year they go to a minor bowl game is another year they get a bowl game bonus and, probably, another year they don't get fired from their high-paying job.

And every year they go to a minor bowl game is another year they get a bowl game bonus and, probably, another year they don't get fired from their high-paying job.
    It's their version of the "let everyone in the NCAA tournament" notion in college basketball. Every coach who's in a bowl game or in the NCAA tournament has a major layer of job protection in place, no matter how mediocre they actually are.

I could stand to go a year without the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl, the Poulan Weedeater Bowl, or the Beef O'Brady's Bowl. Somehow, I feel civilization would survive.

Big Ten football to resume on October 24, just in time for the second wave of Covid-19, not that the first wave ever receded. They're planning an 8 game season.

What will the PAC do? What will the Rose Bowl do?

yeah, it's hardly clear. Though IF there are bowls, I would imagine that Cut and White would want Duke to go because it's worth losing some money to them to be able to claim we got to another bowl game...
    it may not be their call.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I love these - particularly when they make fun of BIG slackers.

https://cuse.com/news/2020/9/17/syra...postponed.aspx

The interstate model still has work to do.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    https://cuse.com/news/2020/9/17/syra...postponed.aspx

The interstate model still has work to do.
    herding cats - it can't be done

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    herding cats - it can't be done
    It can be, you just have to be meow-y careful.