View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 89 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 1999
    I'm not sure what "Cal U" is...Cal State? U-C Someplace? OK, the Sperry Univac says it's California University-Pennsylvania...sad tale...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm not sure what "Cal U" is...Cal State? U-C Someplace? OK, the Sperry Univac says it's California University-Pennsylvania...sad tale...
    Can't say I'm familiar -- just saw the tweet from Jake Tapper (CNN). I note that the article he links does not mention COVID, so I presume he found that information elsewhere or would have retracted the tweet if wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Can't say I'm familiar -- just saw the tweet from Jake Tapper (CNN). I note that the article he links does not mention COVID, so I presume he found that information elsewhere or would have retracted the tweet if wrong.
    California University of Pennsylvania is part of the state university system in the Commonwealth. It appears to be about 20 miles SSE of Pittsburgh in the self-same town.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    California University of Pennsylvania is part of the state university system in the Commonwealth. It appears to be about 20 miles SSE of Pittsburgh in the self-same town.
    Is Cal U playing football this season?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...caa-tournament

Coach K is leading a push to include EVERY D1 team in the tournament. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post

The other ACC coaches are onboard:

Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanHoops
    ·
    58m
    BREAKING: The ACC coaches will propose an all-inclusive NCAA tournament, sources told @stadium
    . The coaches just finished the call and voted unanimously on this.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post

i might need an extra week to fill out my brackets.
    April 1

Lefty Driesell would be very pleased by this.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    The other ACC coaches are onboard:
    Well yeah, it would save the coaching jobs of guys like Seth Greenberg.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Is Cal U playing football this season?
    No, their conference suspended fall sports back in July.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

I'm trying to think of the reasoning behind a proposal for a 350 team NCAA Tournament (because that's many teams there are) in 2021. Here are some possibilities:
    • More TV revenue needed to make up for the lack of a 2020 NCAA Tournament
    • Regular season schedules may be ragged with some schools playing fewer games due to Covid-19 problems and some teams playing much tougher schedules than others due to different approaches to scheduling -- so how do you know who to select for the NCAA Tournament?
    • More regular season TV earnings needed to make up for few or no tickets sold, so teams play more games that are attractive to TV. Maybe a double round robin for the ACC. Maybe instead of each ACC team playing one B10 team, maybe each ACC team plays three or four B10 teams in a bubble or maybe there are bubbles with teams from several P5 conferences. Maybe the eight team tournaments around Thanksgiving become round robins in bubbles. If you do these sorts of things without adjusting the NCAA Tournament, there will be more teams with losing records not making the NCAA Tournament. Coaches don't like that.
    • One way or another I think there's going to be fewer guarantee games. Without ticket revenue schools lack the money to pay for them. That makes it harder for non-P5 schools to qualify for the NCAA Tournament.
    • Coaches want to protect their jobs. Coaches want to protect their jobs. Coaches want to protect their jobs.

On the whole I like it since I like tournament basketball and since I think this is a sign that schools may play more demanding regular season schedules this season.

This seems to warrant a top level thread of its own, so I've started one here
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...CAA-Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    I'm trying to think of the reasoning behind a proposal for a 350 team NCAA Tournament (because that's many teams there are) in 2021. Here are some possibilities:
    • More TV revenue needed to make up for the lack of a 2020 NCAA Tournament
    • Regular season schedules may be ragged with some schools playing fewer games due to Covid-19 problems and some teams playing much tougher schedules than others due to different approaches to scheduling -- so how do you know who to select for the NCAA Tournament?
    • More regular season TV earnings needed to make up for few or no tickets sold, so teams play more games that are attractive to TV. Maybe a double round robin for the ACC. Maybe instead of each ACC team playing one B10 team, maybe each ACC team plays three or four B10 teams in a bubble or maybe there are bubbles with teams from several P5 conferences. Maybe the eight team tournaments around Thanksgiving become round robins in bubbles. If you do these sorts of things without adjusting the NCAA Tournament, there will be more teams with losing records not making the NCAA Tournament. Coaches don't like that.
    • One way or another I think there's going to be fewer guarantee games. Without ticket revenue schools lack the money to pay for them. That makes it harder for non-P5 schools to qualify for the NCAA Tournament.
    • Coaches want to protect their jobs. Coaches want to protect their jobs. Coaches want to protect their jobs.

On the whole I like it since I like tournament basketball and since I think this is a sign that schools may play more demanding regular season schedules this season.
    This idea has been kicking around for awhile, but never got much traction in the past. It's also how a number of states run their high school championship tournaments, though many of those are broken into several separate brackets based on school size. 350 is a big number to manage around.

Every school gets a certificate!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Every school gets a certificate!
    And every coach gets a bonus for making the NCAA Tourney!

Let me preface this by saying that I would give up sports for a long time to see COVID completely eradicated. That being said, this could be one of the greatest times for sports ever. This week there is NBA playoffs, NFL is starting, MLB, hockey playoffs, PGA Tour championship, US Open tennis, Kentucky Derby, some amount of college football. Particularly given the total lack of sports in April when I was stuck at home and was excited to watch people play HORSE in their backyards, this is really great. I only hope this is not leading to the further spread of COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Let me preface this by saying that I would give up sports for a long time to see COVID completely eradicated. That being said, this could be one of the greatest times for sports ever. This week there is NBA playoffs, NFL is starting, MLB, hockey playoffs, PGA Tour championship, US Open tennis, Kentucky Derby, some amount of college football. Particularly given the total lack of sports in April when I was stuck at home and was excited to watch people play HORSE in their backyards, this is really great. I only hope this is not leading to the further spread of COVID.
    Tour de France, major league soccer, WNBA, LPGA, even some track and field from Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Tour de France, major league soccer, WNBA, LPGA, even some track and field from Europe.
    UEFA.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    formula 1, le tour, the snooker world championships just finished up, lots of great track action
    April 1

Okay, you lost me at snookers.