View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 74 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 1999
    Perhaps Boston University is onto something here with regard to appealing to college kids...

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...an-coronavirus
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Accountability: Blame it on that pesky data!

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Things are happening fast in Chapel Hill. They're switching to all online classes effective on Wednesday. How do they keep practicing, much less playing, football? Do dominoes start to fall elsewhere in the ACC?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ge%2Fstory-ans

This is the latest WP story on UNC's cancelling its in-person classes.

Here is a statement from the Chancellor: “We understand the concern and frustrations these changes will raise with many students and parents,” UNC-Chapel Hill’s chancellor, Kevin M. Guskiewicz, and provost, Robert A. Blouin, wrote in a statement. “As much as we believe we have worked diligently to help create a healthy and safe campus living and learning environment, we believe the current data presents an untenable situation.”

We did right, it's just that the pesky data isn't cooperating...

Dear Chancellor, when you get a few minutes you might want to do a bit of honest "root cause analysis," just sayin...
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell

Meanwhile...

Here’s an email from earlier today...

Renewal Deadline August 31
    The deadline for last season's Duke women's basketball season ticket holders to renew for the upcoming season and secure their seats is Monday, August 31. Contact your ticket sales rep or renew online now!**

**Should any portion of the 2020-21 Duke women’s basketball schedule be cancelled or fans not allowed due to COVID-19, ticket holders who purchased tickets through the Duke Athletics Ticket Office will be offered a refund for the value of the ticket to the cancelled game(s). Dependent on the number of games cancelled, season ticket holders would receive a prorated or full refund. All ticket holders will be contacted by the Duke Athletics Ticket Office regarding the cancelled event(s), or regarding any changes or additions to this policy. As always, Duke Athletics appreciates our fans continued support and wants to remain a resource for them. We encourage season ticket holders to directly contact their representative with any further questions.

Based on President Price’s message summarized previously in the thread, I know this is “plan for the best while expecting the worst.” If by miracle the season can be played (with fans), don’t forget to order your tickets, or you’ll lose them in future years. Duke will likely get some interest income from keeping our money for a couple of months, but it’s not going to be much with current interest rates.

I just got an ESPN notification that said that football was “unaffected” by Carolina’s decision to go fully online for fall semester.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...all-unaffected
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I just got an ESPN notification that said that football was “unaffected” by Carolina’s decision to go fully online for fall semester.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...all-unaffected
    Well, this IS the safest possible situation for their athletes...they can have extra social distancing when not at practice (one athlete per dorm? Or at most one per floor?). And they have now successfully eliminated the risk of athletes being infected by any students who would have been going to classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    As mentioned elsewhere, Durham public schools are all online for the next nine weeks (after starting today) and have postponed all sports competitions until November at the earliest. They *may* start non-contact sports training early next month.
    Under new guidelines released last week by the North Carolina High School Athletic Association volleyball and cross country can begin practice on November 4. Everybody else after that. Football moved to spring and reduced to a seven-game schedule. I haven't heard any non-contact provisions. When done properly cross-country should not be a contact sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Well, this IS the safest possible situation for their athletes...they can have extra social distancing when not at practice (one athlete per dorm? Or at most one per floor?). And they have now successfully eliminated the risk of athletes being infected by any students who would have been going to classes.
    Didn't NCAA head Emmert say at the beginning? The worst thing would be to have competition where only athletes are on campus.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    When done properly cross-country should not be a contact sport.
    Although there is a lot of heavy breathing.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Left without comment:

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Left without comment:

Someone went to some effort on this. Tres drole.
    Sage Grouse

When done properly cross-country should not be a contact sport.
    I elbowed a few people at course tight spots back in the day.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Someone went to some effort on this. Tres drole.
    SEC Shorts is worth following on YouTube. Got hooked on it when DaughterPK decided on ‘Bama.

One of my favorite from December ‘18 after the incredible Alabama-Georgia conference Championship game:

And why the Big 10 is better than the SEC:

Quote Originally Posted by Namtilal View Post
    UNC went from 10 to 177 for the student body at large. If that pace holds, then this post underestimated the pace of spread.

(I read those numbers but have not confirmed them from a proper source yet.)
    UNC releases their numbers once a week, and move-in day for undergrads was about 9 days ago. So the first number was after students had been on campus for two days, and presumably very few tests had been conducted. During the interim week there were reports of four separate clusters (where a cluster is defined as five or more cases within a group of people) coming from dorm rooms, though the total number of cases as of this past weekend was only around 30 (I am basing this off of memory from what I've read among various sources, as I live in the area). When the weekly numbers were announced today the total was up to 177.

I guess my point is that the 10 -> 177 leap is heavily influenced by the timing and quantity of testing. If in-person classes had continued, the numbers would continue to rise but probably not 17-fold every week.

Anyone watching hockey? Bruins have dropped four goals this period.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Anyone watching hockey? Bruins have dropped four goals this period.
    An epic collapse by the Canes.

Capitulation

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    UNC releases their numbers once a week, and move-in day for undergrads was about 9 days ago. So the first number was after students had been on campus for two days, and presumably very few tests had been conducted. During the interim week there were reports of four separate clusters (where a cluster is defined as five or more cases within a group of people) coming from dorm rooms, though the total number of cases as of this past weekend was only around 30 (I am basing this off of memory from what I've read among various sources, as I live in the area). When the weekly numbers were announced today the total was up to 177.

I guess my point is that the 10 -> 177 leap is heavily influenced by the timing and quantity of testing. If in-person classes had continued, the numbers would continue to rise but probably not 17-fold every week.
    Another school panics, 177 cases in a school as big as UNCCH doesn’t seem to warrant closing. Duke has apparently planned for over 200 quarantined students, so pro rate that.

Quote Originally Posted by stals View Post
    Another school panics, 177 cases in a school as big as UNCCH doesn’t seem to warrant closing. Duke has apparently planned for over 200 quarantined students, so pro rate that.
    What level of contamination would you consider worthy of closing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    So, if you couldn't score you at least made sure you bumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    So, if you couldn't score you at least made sure you bumped.
    “If you ain’t rubbing, you ain’t racing.”

— NASCAR, and Bob Green Cross-Country (BGCC).