View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 7 of 100 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I believe that only the CSU system has definitively stated that they will be all-remote (with exceptions for things like labs and nursing schools that require in-person attendance), but it seems very likely the UC system will follow suit.

So teams like SDSU are already going to be shut down for the fall. UCLA, Cal, etc. likely to follow. I feel very bad for the Aztec program -- they were in the middle of a remarkable year last year, and now they will be prevented from trying to build on it next year.

Perhaps basketball will still have a chance to have a spring season?
    I think the key question for the NCAA will be whether they allow sports among schools that do have students on campus. Just because the Cal State and perhaps UC schools are closed, does that mean the entire NCAA shuts down?

-Jason "Prepare for Montana, Idaho, and North Dakota to win 8 or 10 NCAA titles each this year!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think the key question for the NCAA will be whether they allow sports among schools that do have students on campus. Just because the Cal State and perhaps UC schools are closed, does that mean the entire NCAA shuts down?

-Jason "Prepare for Montana, Idaho, and North Dakota to win 8 or 10 NCAA titles each this year!" Evans
    The West Coast states have been moving in lockstep. Do you think Oregon and UDub will hold seasons if Cal and UCLA don’t? And if the PAC 12 sits out, do you think other conferences will go ahead? I’ll admit I hadn’t considered that possibility.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

When can football practice start -- early August? So I'm guessing that decisions have to be made and announced in the next few months as to how all of this will be handled.

I just can't see it happening. It only takes one outbreak, on one team, with one fatality to bring the whole thing down. There are coaches, trainers, and staff who fall into high risk groups. Certainly there is some percentage of college athletes with a comorbidity trait such as diabetes or asthma.

The liability potential alone is staggering. The kids are literally risking their lives, and not getting paid to take that risk?

I hope I am wrong -- but I just don't see college football happening this fall despite whatever plans have been announced.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I hope I am wrong -- but I just don't see college football happening this fall despite whatever plans have been announced.
    In fairness, I don't know of any schools that have announced an actual definitive intent to open as of a certain date (other than Liberty). Most schools, including Duke, have expressed an "intent to reopen" with further announcements to follow. I do agree that if the UC system says it won't reopen, the entire Pac 10 (or 12, or whatever) will also close as a unit. There's a lot of money at stake, though, so I don't necessarily expect that to cascade, depending on what the facts tell us as we get closer. One nice thing about universities, in general, though: We can still count on them to respect the facts.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I cringe when I think of the concourse in Wallace Wade at half time under the press box. And that's without a pandemic. You literally cannot walk through without being inches from tens if not hundreds of people. It's a sardine can.
    Before, I had guessed that the season would start, but not finish. Now I'm pretty much resigned to it not being played at all.
    Same goes with basketball and all other Fall sports. Toast.

(If either are played, there will not be fans to watch.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The West Coast states have been moving in lockstep. Do you think Oregon and UDub will hold seasons if Cal and UCLA don’t? And if the PAC 12 sits out, do you think other conferences will go ahead? I’ll admit I hadn’t considered that possibility.
    Right or wrong and to quote Ole Roy; the SEC doesn’t give a s- - - about PAC 12 football. Not sure other conferences will auto fall in behind PAC 12.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I cringe when I think of the concourse in Wallace Wade at half time under the press box. And that's without a pandemic. You literally cannot walk through without being inches from tens if not hundreds of people. It's a sardine can.
    Before, I had guessed that the season would start, but not finish. Now I'm pretty much resigned to it not being played at all.
    Same goes with basketball and all other Fall sports. Toast.

(If either are played, there will not be fans to watch.)
    It just dawned on me...how would you like to be told that you have to show up to work for security duty at the gate? Gloves or not, mask or not, you are in contact with thousands of people within 3 hours. Eeek.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Right or wrong and to quote Ole Roy; the SEC doesn’t give a s- - - about PAC 12 football. Not sure other conferences will auto fall in behind PAC 12.
    Alabama is supposed to play USC (the California one) in early September, so maybe we can get a rematch with them as a reschedule.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    When can football practice start -- early August? So I'm guessing that decisions have to be made and announced in the next few months as to how all of this will be handled.

I just can't see it happening. It only takes one outbreak, on one team, with one fatality to bring the whole thing down. There are coaches, trainers, and staff who fall into high risk groups. Certainly there is some percentage of college athletes with a comorbidity trait such as diabetes or asthma.

The liability potential alone is staggering. The kids are literally risking their lives, and not getting paid to take that risk?

I think your analysis is spot on! My guess is that most, if not all, colleges and universities, will NOT have classes on campus this Fall and that means no Fall sports. Unfortunately, there is no evidence that the virus is just going to disappear and the schools will not take the chance of a wide-spread, on-campus infection of students, faculty, staff and others. The liability and outrage would be huge.

I think the SEC would play even if the head official were the Grim Reaper and the field was surrounded by pythons. Having said that, I pretty much agree with OPK...no way do I see, for most conferences, fans in stadiums, BUT I could see the possibility of fanless football if (and only if) the university has robust testing in place.

I still suspect the SEC will find a way to play, though perhaps not until October.

Good reference for all colleges plans for fall semester

From the Chronicle of Higher Education

https://www.chronicle.com/article/He...vGurttigijdUm4

updated regularly -- currently 69% of colleges responding with plans to open for in-person attendance in fall semester

Agreed!

I could see the PAC 12, Big Whatever and ACC hesitant to play, while the SEC and the so-called Big 12 go full bore.

For what it is worth, Harvard Medical School (and dental school) have already announced that they will not be holding on-campus classes this Fall.

As I mentioned above, I'd be amazed if any colleges or universities hold classes on campus this Fall and inter-collegiate Fall sports will NOT take place.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    As many may have seen, the California public university system has stated that they plan to have schools reopen online only in the Fall. If that holds, it bodes very poorly for the chances of a Fall season in college sports. And similarly for the start of the winter sports season.
    I believe that only the CSU system has definitively stated that they will be all-remote (with exceptions for things like labs and nursing schools that require in-person attendance), but it seems very likely the UC system will follow suit.

So teams like SDSU are already going to be shut down for the fall. UCLA, Cal, etc. likely to follow. I feel very bad for the Aztec program -- they were in the middle of a remarkable year last year, and now they will be prevented from trying to build on it next year.

Perhaps basketball will still have a chance to have a spring season?
    Despite CSU's announcement that Fall semester will be going virtual, SDSU is planning for a fall sports season. They are looking to bring student-athletes back to campus in July. I wonder if we end up with teams reporting and potentially football season starting up, with sports seasons later scuttled due to new outbreaks?

Here is info on SDSU's plans: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ate-san-marcos
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    For what it is worth, Harvard Medical School (and dental school) have already announced that they will not be holding on-campus classes this Fall.

As I mentioned above, I'd be amazed if any colleges or universities hold classes on campus this Fall and inter-collegiate Fall sports will NOT take place.
    You’d be amazed if colleges in Wyoming hold classes this Fall? 7 total deaths in Wyoming attributed to Coronavirus to date. I fully expect many Rocky Mountain and Midwestern and some Southern colleges to resume typical on campus classes.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post

Current information is 64% of colleges are planning to be open with in-person student attendance in the fall.

Are you saying that virtually all of them will back down? And there will be no inter-collegiate sports this Fall or in-person classes?

Please explain a little further.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Current information is 64% of colleges are planning to be open with in-person student attendance in the fall.

Are you saying that virtually all of them will back down? And there will be no inter-collegiate sports this Fall or in-person classes?

Please explain a little further.
    my understanding, as of tonight, is that duke is most likely to have some sort of hybrid thing. some students on campus, limited of gathering size, some online classes, some in person spaced out classes.

Details are a bit vague at my level of in the know, but that's the current likely course of action, even if details aren't yet finalized.

But either way, the plan is still to have students on campus in the fall as of now.
    April 1

A lot of schools now wondering how long they can compete in the football arms race...insane expansion of facilities, salaries...and debt.
    Wire service article today noted that, for example, in the last decade both Kentucky and Louisville have more than doubled their football spending, and as a result, KY's athletic debt debt load has increased from $22 million to $100 million, and at Louisville the load has increased by $5 million to $96 million. Good luck with that, especially with the coming (greatly) reduced revenue.

This stuff is not sustainable...gobs of offensive coordinators being paid more than a million bucks, lavish facilities built everywhere...it was also noted that at Penn State, there are now 34 assistant athletic directors...the money train up until now has fueled this ginormous increase in spending...while I don't see Alabama likely to pull back, I have to think we're going to see some major changes coming, a lot of schools just won't be able to keep pace with the insanity.

^ I should also point out that, predictably, several league commissioners have petitioned the NCAA to change the mandate that if you offer football, you need to offer X number of non revenue sports...seems that wrestling coaches in particular are on guard, I'd imagine because Title IX protects a lot of womens sports.