View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 6 of 100 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    NC State's basketball team practiced social distancing on defense last season. We are ready to go!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    NC State's basketball team practiced social distancing on defense last season. We are ready to go!
    Must spread. Blah blah but very good PackMan

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    How many voted more optimistically in the poll than they deep down truly believe? I think I may have. This issue is soooo complicated, so many unknowns.
    Good point Skydog. I believed it would be better by now than it is so maybe I was too optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I must admit, there is a small part of me that hopes college sports stay shutdown...just so I never have to watch the Tarheels ever play again. With every dark cloud, there is a silver lining.

I must admit, there is a small part of me that hopes college sports stay shutdown...just so I never have to watch the Tarheels ever play again. With every dark cloud, there is a silver lining.
    Remember when there was chatter about them going to the SEC? I was thinking, Yes, please go.

Oktoberfest cancelled

Germany has cancelled Oktoberfest, which was to be September 19 through October 4, because the risk will be too high. https://apnews.com/1cc36093d3e2f97689da56f4d1e0820f

Not a good sign for sports.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    That's exactly the point.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Germany has cancelled Oktoberfest, which was to be September 19 through October 4, because the risk will be too high. https://apnews.com/1cc36093d3e2f97689da56f4d1e0820f

Not a good sign for sports.
    completing the trifecta, that's the third trip to europe that will be cancelled for me this year. poor me.

Also the amount of lead time something like oktoberfest needs is absurd. they start setting up in july.
    April 1

UNC system

UNC SYSTEM INTERIM PRESIDENT: MOVING FORWARD TOWARD FALL 2020

April 29, 2020

Chapel Hill, NC – UNC System Interim President Bill Roper has issued the following statement regarding the plans for the Fall 2020 semester:

“Recent data in North Carolina are showing positive trends that suggest our collective efforts to minimize the spread of COVID-19 are paying off...

I expect to reopen our campuses for the Fall 2020 Semester and look forward to welcoming our faculty and students back to their classrooms and labs this fall. To do so, we are working closely with our chancellors to chart a course forward.

https://www.northcarolina.edu/news/2...ward-Fall-2020

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    UNC SYSTEM INTERIM PRESIDENT: MOVING FORWARD TOWARD FALL 2020

April 29, 2020

Chapel Hill, NC – UNC System Interim President Bill Roper has issued the following statement regarding the plans for the Fall 2020 semester:

“Recent data in North Carolina are showing positive trends that suggest our collective efforts to minimize the spread of COVID-19 are paying off...

I expect to reopen our campuses for the Fall 2020 Semester and look forward to welcoming our faculty and students back to their classrooms and labs this fall. To do so, we are working closely with our chancellors to chart a course forward.

https://www.northcarolina.edu/news/2...ward-Fall-2020
    Key word "expect." It seems like everyone with skin in the game is being very optimistic right now, at least until evidence proves otherwise.
    Let's go Duke!

Purdue

Purdue seems pretty definite about re-opening.

Purdue University plans to reopen campus for fall 2020, saying coronavirus poses 'zero lethal threat' to students

https://thehill.com/changing-america...ampus-for-fall

NCAA guidelines for resumption

From Yahoo sports:
    Coronavirus: NCAA releases nine-step and three-phase plan for schools to resume sports
    https://sports.yahoo.com/coronavirus...192830269.html

And the full guidelines:
    Core Principles of Resocialization of Collegiate Sport
    https://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-i...llegiate-sport

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    From Yahoo sports:
    Coronavirus: NCAA releases nine-step and three-phase plan for schools to resume sports
    https://sports.yahoo.com/coronavirus...192830269.html

And the full guidelines:
    Core Principles of Resocialization of Collegiate Sport
    https://www.ncaa.org/sport-science-i...llegiate-sport
    From the article:

Most notably, it makes clear that a resumption of sports must be centered around the resumption of students on campus. So if you want football to happen in the fall at your favorite school, you’re going to want all other students to be able to be on campus.
    Seems like a good starting point to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    From the article:

Seems like a good starting point to me.
    My understanding is duke has 5 "proposals" from totally remote to 'normal,' and as of right now, they are expecting students to be on campus in the fall. the decision will be made in june. I'm not privy to much more than that.

I imagine that any opening will require some sort of staggered/quarantined arrival, testing before "move in," masks in classes where distancing is not possible, closure of common spaces, and limitation of off-campus travel for non-essential activities for dorm residents. But that's just a guess.
    Last edited by uh_no; 05-02-2020 at 01:48 PM.
    April 1

I wonder what conversations are going on behind the scenes among leading universities...they all seem to be saying the same thing, they "expect" to be open in the Fall, with details as to how they accomplish this TBD...seems reasonable to me, but I'm pessimistic that we'll get there given how many states are still clearly in the plateau stage but are opening stuff up anyway. I guess we'll see, but I'm highly skeptical I'll be sitting in Wallace Wade any time before October, if then.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I wonder what conversations are going on behind the scenes among leading universities...they all seem to be saying the same thing, they "expect" to be open in the Fall, with details as to how they accomplish this TBD...seems reasonable to me, but I'm pessimistic that we'll get there given how many states are still clearly in the plateau stage but are opening stuff up anyway. I guess we'll see, but I'm highly skeptical I'll be sitting in Wallace Wade any time before October, if then.
    i'll see if i can find out more.
    April 1

After you Grow Your Mustache...

Fun little company started by the son of a good friend of mine.

https://stachestillsports.com/

The t-shirt company's founder's father was a significant father figure to me, which I guess makes the founder like my brother. He made such an impact on my life, we actually gave Daughter GreenWaveDukie2 his last name as her middle name. He actually passed away in his early 60s in August of last year, but I did get to see his whole family at the funeral.

Company sells t-shirts w/a pretty simple logo and concept - grow your mustaches until sports return. Donates some of the receipts to those in the sports world most affected financially by the loss of sports.

Ordered mine last week - arrived in just a few days. Mrs. Green Wave said I could wear a t-shirt, but no stash.

I saw a good interview last night with the president of the University of Arizona, who happens to be a heart surgeon...he said their opening plan for the Fall would be a hybrid between physical attendance and on line learning...but he emphasized that it relied on testing, tracking and treating. As with other schools' plans, it sounds like a lot of details need to be worked out...plus he's got himself 45,000 students I believe he said, that's a lot of people to deal with, plus something like 15,000 employees/faculty...

As many may have seen, the California public university system has stated that they plan to have schools reopen online only in the Fall. If that holds, it bodes very poorly for the chances of a Fall season in college sports. And similarly for the start of the winter sports season.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    As many may have seen, the California public university system has stated that they plan to have schools reopen online only in the Fall. If that holds, it bodes very poorly for the chances of a Fall season in college sports. And similarly for the start of the winter sports season.
    I believe that only the CSU system has definitively stated that they will be all-remote (with exceptions for things like labs and nursing schools that require in-person attendance), but it seems very likely the UC system will follow suit.

So teams like SDSU are already going to be shut down for the fall. UCLA, Cal, etc. likely to follow. I feel very bad for the Aztec program -- they were in the middle of a remarkable year last year, and now they will be prevented from trying to build on it next year.

Perhaps basketball will still have a chance to have a spring season?
    Carolina delenda est