View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 51 of 100 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1999
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    It may boggle the mind, but us transactional attorneys still use fax on occasion. Some clients just will not ever get comfortable sending/receiving notices by email. In order to send same day notices on those deals, we have to use fax or a courier.

I have fond memories of being a junior associate tasked with making sure a last minute notice was delivered by fax on time. It was interminable watching the status updates of the pages being transmitted and waiting for the confirmation to print out with that magical time and date stamp.
    There are plenty of things that still operate by fax (at least preferentially). When I was an intern at a radio station (~9 years ago) all of our promotions requests were via fax. A ton of medical stuff is handled via fax. In logistics a lot of official documents have to be sent or received via fax. It is kind of crazy at this point given the alternatives available, but fax is very much alive and well (I don't have to deal with fax at all now and I can't say I miss it).

NBA isn't shying away from the issues at hand. Powerful messages pregame. The names on the back of the jersey replaced by phrases are more poignant than I would have guessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    NBA isn't shying away from the issues at hand. Powerful messages pregame. The names on the back of the jersey replaced by phrases are more poignant than I would have guessed.
    I'm having trouble catching the phrases on the backs of a lot of the jerseys (I don't have a giant TV). I Hope they put out a list later.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    What the heck are those students doing?
    When sniffing glue wasn't an option one could always get high by smelling mimeographed papers.

Simpler times.

in it's fourth weekend, one of f1's drivers, sergio perez tested positive today at silverstone. they've tested everyone every couple of days and have quarantined everyone he was in contact with... but interesting to see how this plays out.

Marconi is turning in his grave...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I own a mimeograph machine. I don't publish anything; I just like to run a fresh page or two in the off-hours.

Mmmmm . . . .
    I'm mightily impressed by all of the "early adapters" on DBR. Always ahead of the curve.

As for me, I highly recommend taking two tin cans and connecting them with, say, a 30 foot length of string. Then speak very loudly, so that the sound appears to be going through the string. With good fortune, and a favorable breeze, the willing receiver on the other end will swear that she/he is hearing the sound from the string. Eureka!

in truth, I carry a certain trauma around communication advances. I wrote my doctoral dissertation on a typewriter because rudimentary word processing was just coming into being. bad decision. As the months went by, and my pile of still untyped dissertation pages kept growing, filled with illegible scribbles, corrected data tables, and corrections that meant retyping numerous early pages -- and word processing kept improving, I kept recalculating the switching costs of starting all over by putting everything on word processing. Sure wish I had been an earliest adapter! I know that you breathlessly want to know the outcome: I stuck with my typewriter, berating myself every page. Did finish the darn thing, but not as a happy and high self-esteem camper.

How many of you remember pre-word processing days? Word processing is a miracle!

Great fun.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

I took a 500-level composition course in undergrad. My practice was to load a blank piece of paper into my typewriter the night before the essay was due and then to type it start to finish in one sitting. No drafts, no rewording, no net. I just tyled it out and then handed it in the next day.
    Worked out ok. I ended up with a B-plus. Might've been an A-minus. It was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    I'm mightily impressed by all of the "early adapters" on DBR. Always ahead of the curve.

As for me, I highly recommend taking two tin cans and connecting them with, say, a 30 foot length of string. Then speak very loudly, so that the sound appears to be going through the string. With good fortune, and a favorable breeze, the willing receiver on the other end will swear that she/he is hearing the sound from the string. Eureka!

in truth, I carry a certain trauma around communication advances. I wrote my doctoral dissertation on a typewriter because rudimentary word processing was just coming into being. bad decision. As the months went by, and my pile of still untyped dissertation pages kept growing, filled with illegible scribbles, corrected data tables, and corrections that meant retyping numerous early pages -- and word processing kept improving, I kept recalculating the switching costs of starting all over by putting everything on word processing. Sure wish I had been an earliest adapter! I know that you breathlessly want to know the outcome: I stuck with my typewriter, berating myself every page. Did finish the darn thing, but not as a happy and high self-esteem camper.

How many of you remember pre-word processing days? Word processing is a miracle!

Great fun.
    I learned to type on a manual typewriter.

At Duke, I had a TRS-80 cassette-loaded “computer.” For word-processing, you typed “/L” to load a document and “/S” to save one.

I had a term paper due sophomore year, and stayed up the night before to write it. At about 5 in the morning, and kinda done, I planned to save it before printing. Instead of typing “/S” to save it I typed “/L” by habit, which wiped out the document in its entirety.

Tl;dr — I wrote the term paper in a single draft in about 4 hours after an all-nighter.

Don’t remember the exact grade, but it was better than I deserved.

At Duke, I had a TRS-80 cassette-loaded “computer.” For word-processing, you typed “/L” to load a document and “/S” to save one.

I had a term paper due sophomore year, and stayed up the night before to write it. At about 5 in the morning, and kinda done, I planned to save it before printing. Instead of typing “/S” to save it I typed “/L” by habit, which wiped out the document in its entirety.

Tl;dr — I wrote the term paper in a single draft in about 4 hours after an all-nighter.

He or she who knew how to type was King or Queen back in my day...one summer my parents told me they'd send me to a typing class (I was 13 years old) OR I could teach myself with a book and they'd pay me $100 which the course would have cost. I became wealthy.

I became pretty good at writing long term papers hot off the press...saw lots and lots of my fellow students thrash around looking for someone to type their stuff (no computers back then except for the Sperry Univac in a basement somewhere)..

I learned to type on a manual, the kind where you had to practically put all your weight behind your pinky finger to hit Q. Then, I would try to type papers on my dad's IBM Selectric II electric typewriter. I'd end up with a whole row of Qs before it stopped. Then had to go back and use that weird correction tape thingie. I am much lighter on a keyboard now.

I learned to type on a typewriter. And I knew how to use a slide rule.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I learned to type on a typewriter. And I knew how to use a slide rule.
    I still have a slide rule. I can multiply 2 x 2 and come up with something close to 4.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Seems like we might need an adjacent poll on when sports will be shut down again?
    The under's looking better and better.

The Friday matinee meeting between the St. Louis Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers will be postponed due to positive COVID-19 tests, Yahoo Sports confirmed. The Cardinals have positive tests in their party, Heyman reported.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    By my count, that's at least 3 teams with multiple confirmed cases (Marlins, Phillies, Cards), and one of those (Marlins) has over half the team infected. Yeah, this season is probably not going to last much longer. Impressive that they didn't even make it a full weekend before the s--- hit the fan.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    He or she who knew how to type was King or Queen back in my day...one summer my parents told me they'd send me to a typing class (I was 13 years old) OR I could teach myself with a book and they'd pay me $100 which the course would have cost. I became wealthy.

I became pretty good at writing long term papers hot off the press...saw lots and lots of my fellow students thrash around looking for someone to type their stuff (no computers back then except for the Sperry Univac in a basement somewhere)..
    Typing was a required eighth grade class in our school system. I already had a typewriter (toy one when I was four, since my dad didn’t want me to misuse his classic Smith-Corona) so I was familiar with the keyboard layout. One of the best classes I ever took.

Back to the actual topic, I received this email a short while ago from my Duke ticket agent:

Valued Duke Football Season Ticket Holder,

By now you are likely aware of the changes that the ACC has made to the 2020 football schedule. For your reference, the graphic is attached. We are currently adapting our ticketing procedures accordingly and will communicate such changes when we have further information from the ACC regarding our weekly schedule. As a valued member of the Duke Football season ticket holder family, we appreciate your patience and look forward to providing additional details as soon as possible.

We hope you and your family remain safe and healthy.

Go Duke!

I’m sure one thing they’re waiting on is if anybody will be allowed in the stands, or more specifically how restricted it will be (families of players/staff, etc.) and if more are allowed, how to prioritize attendees.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, this season is probably not going to last much longer. Impressive that they didn't even make it a full weekend before the s--- hit the fan.
    The real shame of it is all the plunked Astros we'll be denied.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Typing was a required eighth grade class in our school system. I already had a typewriter (toy one when I was four, since my dad didn’t want me to misuse his classic Smith-Corona) so I was familiar with the keyboard layout. One of the best classes I ever took.

Back to the actual topic, I received this email a short while ago from my Duke ticket agent:

Valued Duke Football Season Ticket Holder,

By now you are likely aware of the changes that the ACC has made to the 2020 football schedule. For your reference, the graphic is attached. We are currently adapting our ticketing procedures accordingly and will communicate such changes when we have further information from the ACC regarding our weekly schedule. As a valued member of the Duke Football season ticket holder family, we appreciate your patience and look forward to providing additional details as soon as possible.

We hope you and your family remain safe and healthy.

Go Duke!

I’m sure one thing they’re waiting on is if anybody will be allowed in the stands, or more specifically how restricted it will be (families of players/staff, etc.) and if more are allowed, how to prioritize attendees.
    I got that, too...still having trouble believing they think this will work out.
    p.s. still have my 55 year old Olympia (German) manual typewriter, nice piece of engineering...

I used to have an abacus. And knew how to use it.

As an aside, the answer to almost every sports-related COVID-19 question is no.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I used to have an abacus. And knew how to use it.

As an aside, the answer to almost every sports-related COVID-19 question is no.
    In 1983 I went to Moscow, and if you bought anything there, there'd ring you up on some kind of primitive cash register, probably Bulgarian...and then they'd double check the answer with an abacus.

p.s. I keep getting these football messages from Duke, it seems like some kind of ongoing gag, but maybe they're actually serious...do they REALLY think they'll be having a season?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    In 1983 I went to Moscow, and if you bought anything there, there'd ring you up on some kind of primitive cash register, probably Bulgarian...and then they'd double check the answer with an abacus.

p.s. I keep getting these football messages from Duke, it seems like some kind of ongoing gag, but maybe they're actually serious...do they REALLY think they'll be having a season?
    I put most of these "going ahead" plans down to a hope things will work out rather than a calculation that they will. Plus it is usually easier to stop something you have prepared to do than to start something you have not prepared to do.