View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 49 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Mike Wise: Shut Down the MLB Season

Have to say, I agree with him. The risks aren't worth it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ont-play-ball/

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Being "away from home" and stuck in the same place for literally months are far two different things. "The bubble" doesn't move. The logic of it is that everyone involved, not just the players, is there for the long haul. Right now, that's probably a strain to some, but it is only for a couple of months.
    Focusing on ONLY the players, as you and Arnie have done, is very short focused. The link that Jim shared is for an entire season. That means players, coaches, trainers, etc...anyone who will be on a court or behind the scenes, has to be in that bubble for an entire season. Not one month, not two...but for several.
    If you were a trainer, a waterboy, a cameraman, a coach, much less a player, could you do that? Be away from all your friends and family, without going anywhere, for that period of time?

PS...every time you leave and come back, you get solitary in your room for a few days.
    Also PS...this is why I said the NBA better have lots of mental health officials on standby. They will need them.
    My issue was your word “forced” to join the bubble; and, yes I was primarily focused on the players. This pandemic is very difficult for lots of service, hospital and other workers that can’t just work from home. These workers have chosen to take some risk with Covid, and for the most part aren’t paid that well.

At least there’s a plan for NBA players and other employees that give them an option to play and be part of a new season. No one thinks it easy.

Better poll question in retrospect:

When sports return, how long do they last?

Easy money on baseball being the shortest stick.

Another disturbing data point. Rutgers football team decides to party, with predictable results.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...d-campus-party

MLB has put in new safety measures to ensure that teams do a better job of not having an entire team catch Covid.

https://news.yahoo.com/report-mlb-up...035508963.html

The league is now mandating the use of surgical masks instead of cloth masks during travel and is requiring every team to travel with a compliance officer whose job will be to ensure every player and staff member properly follows the league's protocol.

The changes are a direct response to the coronavirus outbreak that infected nearly half the Miami Marlins’ roster. The Marlins season is now temporarily on hold pending improved test results next week.

As of Wednesday, 16 players and two Marlins staff members have tested positive for COVID-19. The Marlins games through Sunday have been postponed and the hope is the team will be able to resume at home on Tuesday against the Philadelphia Phillies.
    I'm sure the Phillies are thrilled to be the first team to play the Marlins when/if they come back. Ha! Everyone seems to be saying that the Marlins will likely be forfeited out of the season some time in the next few days. I'm actually fine with other teams trying to make a go of it for as long as they can. These are businesses and they are trying to stay uninfected. We should not automatically assume adults are unable to take precautions.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Maybe the P5 conferences should just ask Congress for a bailout, since money (not logic) motivates them. The ACC plan is delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Maybe the P5 conferences should just ask Congress for a bailout, since money (not logic) motivates them. The ACC plan is delusional.
    I was cautiously excited about the ACC trying the proposed schedule, when someone pointed out on another thread that all of our games likely will be consigned to the ACCN. Comcast doesn’t have that channel. So, looks like I will not be watching any Duke football regardless.

Wonder what the SEC is doing, I can get their games and they are usually pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I was cautiously excited about the ACC trying the proposed schedule, when someone pointed out on another thread that all of our games likely will be consigned to the ACCN. Comcast doesn’t have that channel. So, looks like I will not be watching any Duke football regardless.

Wonder what the SEC is doing, I can get their games and they are usually pretty good.
    Why would that be the case this year but not in previous years (I mean we did get some ACCN games, but we got on other channels as well). I don't see why it would be any different from other years, at least.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    MLB has put in new safety measures to ensure that teams do a better job of not having an entire team catch Covid.
    The league is now mandating the use of surgical masks instead of cloth masks during travel and is requiring every team to travel with a compliance officer whose job will be to ensure every player and staff member properly follows the league's protocol.
    HA!!! They have a Covid Cop! Good luck, buddy.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Why would that be the case this year but not in previous years (I mean we did get some ACCN games, but we got on other channels as well). I don't see why it would be any different from other years, at least.
    True, I did not watch many games last season either. I had kinda forgotten that this whole ACCN thing screws me.

Or more correctly, made me switch to following SEC football on a more dedicated level. If the ACC doesn't want me as a fan, so be it.

Sports vs Covid

Sports shouldn't return until schools return. Maybe we could have virtual basketball.

True, I did not watch many games last season either. I had kinda forgotten that this whole ACCN thing screws me.

Or more correctly, made me switch to following SEC football on a more dedicated level. If the ACC doesn't want me as a fan, so be it.
    I still think you're blaming the wrong people (blame Comcast or whoever, not the ACC, the ACC needed a dedicated TV channel to have any hope of remaining competitive and probably just to continue existing), but we don't need to rehash that debate.

that's alright...i imagine given the lack of sports and the current economic situation, the cord cutting situation won't improve, nor will any online subscription service wholly replace those viewers for the ACCN.

I also imagine a good number of those subscriptions will never return, even when football and other sports do in full.

I would bet that the current ACCN contract becomes the only ACCN contract.
    April 1

So, barring a massive surprise, NBA basketball will in fact return tonight. I'm admittedly surprised and dubious about how long it can last, but I will enjoy it while I can

To me, the fact that the NBA has put SO much time, thought, and money into how to do this comeback just underlines how much money is made by the league in the playoffs.

Don't fool yourself into thinking this is fan service or about competition. This is a financial decision.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    So, barring a massive surprise, NBA basketball will in fact return tonight. I'm admittedly surprised and dubious about how long it can last, but I will enjoy it while I can

To me, the fact that the NBA has put SO much time, thought, and money into how to do this comeback just underlines how much money is made by the league in the playoffs.

Don't fool yourself into thinking this is fan service or about competition. This is a financial decision.
    The NBA is coming back in really the only way that is possible. My guess is that the bubble WILL work. But this is for only a very limited time. As we talked about above, I can't see how doing the same thing for a full season is feasible. Not for everyone that is required to stay in isolation to make it happen.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    The NBA is coming back in really the only way that is possible. My guess is that the bubble WILL work. But this is for only a very limited time. As we talked about above, I can't see how doing the same thing for a full season is feasible. Not for everyone that is required to stay in isolation to make it happen.
    FWIW, there have been zero positive COVID tests within the NBA bubble for two consecutive test cycles. I think that’s pretty good performance so far.
    I for one am excited about the NBA’s return, as I love the playoffs but often miss a lot of them while traveling. I will certainly be tuning into Lakers-Clippers tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I for one am excited about the NBA’s return, as I love the playoffs but often miss a lot of them while traveling. I will certainly be tuning into Lakers-Clippers tonight.
    Heck yeah, really looking forward to the NBA restart, much moreso than MLB. Expect a big Lakers victory tonight as the Clippers are a bit in disarray right now.

Would love to be wrong on that prediction — no team I would rather see lose than the Lakers.

Better poll question in retrospect:

When sports return, how long do they last?

Easy money on baseball being the shortest stick.
    Now the Phillies / Jays series this weekend is postponed. No players, but one Phillies coach and one clubhouse attendant tested positive. So they shut down the stadium. That seems like a major failure by mlb. The Marlins were last in the stadium on Sunday. Even if, for some reason, they weren't doing anything to try and clean the stadium since then, it's Thursday now. Can you really not do a serious cleaning of the facility to be able to safely play by Friday night? Or Saturday if you want to push it back and do a double-header. Of course it's important to avoid spread of the infection, but everyone knew there would be positive tests, and if you don't have a response that's quicker than shutting a stadium for this long, I don't know how you thought you could have a season.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Do you have any friends with DirecTV? You can always come watch here...it's only an 18.5 hour drive, with music it feels like much less...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Do you have any friends with DirecTV? You can always come watch here...it's only an 18.5 hour drive, with music it feels like much less...
    By the time OPK gets there, someone sane will have cancelled the season. Probably somewhere around Delaware.