View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 46 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    With up to 14 players on the Marlins testing positive, how can they play any games at all for the next two weeks?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    With up to 14 players on the Marlins testing positive, how can they play any games at all for the next two weeks?
    I believe they have 40 guys on the roster and another 20 eligible for a total of 60 in the "player pool." https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-roster-...or-2020-season

But yeah, this is an ugly start that puts into doubt the entire season.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I believe they have 40 guys on the roster and another 20 eligible for a total of 60 in the "player pool." https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-roster-...or-2020-season

That's pretty trippy. I guess it's conceivable that there might be a totally different team playing at the start of the playoffs than the one that wins the World Series.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

This has been evident for some time...good case in point, noted virologist James Fair got on a plane with mask, gloves, etc, but contracted the virus nonetheless...he's pretty sure he contracted it thru his eyes.
    FWIW, Fair never tested positive, either for the virus or, later, for antibodies. Given his symptoms and testing inaccuracies that doesn't necessarily mean he didn't have COVID, but he acknowledges he doesn't know what he had.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That's pretty trippy. I guess it's conceivable that there might be a totally different team playing at the start of the playoffs than the one that wins the World Series.
    Yup. Probably not relevant for the Marlins but could impact other teams. I am not a gambler, but it would be very brave (or stupid, depending on your perspective) to wager on anything sports related this year, as the possibility of the unknown impacting the results is huge.

Tom Boswell on MLB

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ted-four-days/

“Underneath all the discussions and elaborate plans to reopen various sports — MLB, NBA and NHL now and the NFL and college football by the end of next month — has been one naive assumption: If the virus hit a team, it would infect one or two players. Maybe three. But the sense was things still would be “manageable.” You could still “field a team.”
    When did this become the highest of all human goals?”

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

“Underneath all the discussions and elaborate plans to reopen various sports — MLB, NBA and NHL now and the NFL and college football by the end of next month — has been one naive assumption: If the virus hit a team, it would infect one or two players. Maybe three. But the sense was things still would be “manageable.” You could still “field a team.”
    people risking their health to entertain others is not a new thing, especially when handsomely rewarded for doing so. The players union could have stopped the season if they wanted.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

When you consider "field a team" and "make millions or billions of dollars" to be synonyms it makes more sense. I wonder what the polling would look like in terms of support for starting back up from players (who, unless I am mistaken, would not be getting paid if the leagues don't open back up).

Edit: uh_no probably said it better above.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    people risking their health to entertain others is not a new thing, especially when handsomely rewarded for doing so. The players union could have stopped the season if they wanted.
    I heard someone on TV (retired football player, forget who) say that the average life span of an NFL player is three years on the roster. His view what that if you are a mid-to-low guy on the depth chart, you would not want to forfeit one of those three years and would likely take the risk to make your money. Makes sense from that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I heard someone on TV (retired football player, forget who) say that the average life span of an NFL player is three years on the roster. His view what that if you are a mid-to-low guy on the depth chart, you would not want to forfeit one of those three years and would likely take the risk to make your money. Makes sense from that perspective.
    Even some of the higher earners might not be able to afford a year of no income, despite their previously high earnings (if you're budgeting based on a $8 million/year contract and suddenly that drops to 0, it isn't unreasonable to expect some financial difficulties arising from that).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Even some of the higher earners might not be able to afford a year of no income, despite their previously high earnings (if you're budgeting based on a $8 million/year contract and suddenly that drops to 0, it isn't unreasonable to expect some financial difficulties arising from that).
    Good point.

When I was a kid in the '70's and collected Topps football cards, they had little factoids about the players on the back. I seem to recall a few linemen whose factoids were what their off-season jobs were.

Even considering that the league median is $860,000 a year before taxes -- certainly a good annual haul by most standards -- for some players the money earned basically has to last nearly a lifetime. Their prime earning window is when they are pretty young -- the average age of an NFL player is just over 26.

The average NFL pension is going from $30,000 to $46,000 a year under the latest collective bargaining agreement.

(Sources are quick internet searches and not real study -- so take with a grain of salt)

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    They are currently finalizing the agreement but basically, if the season is cancelled and you played last year, you get a stipend and health insurance if you haven't been cut yet - $250k if it is cancelled before final cuts, $300k if cancelled after final cuts but before the season starts - practice squad players get $100k. This is a nothing vs. a regular NFL salary but it helps.

Also interesting that the current plan is that if a player gets COVID and is found to have engaged in risky behavior (going to a crowded place - lots of specifics in the article), they can have their salaries withheld. I think it is a great idea in concept, though I don't know how you enforce it.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...pline-lack-pay

I don't think there should have been any realistic expectation that the MLB season was/is going to work out. 14 guys tested positive on the Marlins. They interacted with the Phillies for 3 days. It could take a week or more for Phillies to start testing positive. Yet they are only postponing the O's/Marlins and Yanks/Phils games today pending test results. So there could very easily be spread to those 4 teams by the end of the week.

And it's not just the Marlins. At least 3 Reds have tested positive. So the Tigers players and now the Cubs and Royals (each team's next opponent) players are at risk.

It's hard to see how this doesn't quickly become a war of attrition.

Well put

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I don't think there should have been any realistic expectation that the MLB season was/is going to work out. 14 guys tested positive on the Marlins. They interacted with the Phillies for 3 days. It could take a week or more for Phillies to start testing positive. Yet they are only postponing the O's/Marlins and Yanks/Phils games today pending test results. So there could very easily be spread to those 4 teams by the end of the week.

And it's not just the Marlins. At least 3 Reds have tested positive. So the Tigers players and now the Cubs and Royals (each team's next opponent) players are at risk.

It's hard to see how this doesn't quickly become a war of attrition.
    I agree, and think that was Boswell’s point.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    FWIW, Fair never tested positive, either for the virus or, later, for antibodies. Given his symptoms and testing inaccuracies that doesn't necessarily mean he didn't have COVID, but he acknowledges he doesn't know what he had.
    Even so, the question is how did he get anything given that he was trying so hard to avoid COVID?

I am seeing/hearing about a lot of people sick with sore throats, runny noses, body aches, fever, etc. who are all COVID negative, but it makes me wonder how in the world so many people are getting infected with so many things when we are all being so much more germaphobic than most of us have ever been before?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I agree with you guys, and the same goes for the notion of college football players getting through a season without serious problems. I can't believe they're still dithering on this.

UNC still thinks that they can not only play college football games this fall but that they can have spectators in the stands!

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    UNC still thinks that they can not only play college football games this fall but that they can have spectators in the stands!
    Well, it should be easy for them to pass the test.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    That's possibly the funniest thing I've read all day.

While the joint statement from director of athletics Bubba Cunningham and Rams Club executive director John Montgomery did not specify what the capacity will be, the athletics department, university and state officials and health experts will work together to determine an appropriate level.
    Health experts are gonna be like "Don't print my name."

I just recieved an email from Sterly Wilder in Duke Alumni Affairs that all on-campus alumni events, including the 2020 Reunions, have been canceled through the end of 2020. Duke is planning a "virtual" reunion.