View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 11 of 100 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Social distancing in Wallace Wade Stadium won't be a big problem.
    Unfortunately. 🥵

"The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to allow voluntary on-campus athletic activities to resume in football and men's and women's basketball, starting June 1, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN."

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-1-sources-say

Some interesting and very relevant quotes from Aaron Rodgers at https://www.totalprosports.com/2020/...ckdowns-audio/

Rodgers was asked whether he believed that professional and college sports should return.

“For many of us–and I’ve seen a lot of comments on this and obviously my story coming back from Peru before the country kind of went into a lockdown–I think we all were buying into the idea of quarantine to flatten the curve and I think there are a lot of questions now that it’s more of a house arrest to find a cure with people wondering exactly what that means as far as the future of the country and the freedoms we’re allowed to have at this point,” Rodgers answered.

Rodgers discussed the devastating impact that the country’s months-long lockdown has had.

“I’m very hopeful that we can have a [football] season,” he said. “I think the important think to think about, though, which is more important than that is the state of the country and the fact that we have 36-plus million people on unemployment right now, we have rising poverty levels to go along with the unemployment, you have suicide hotline is up 8,000 percent. There’s really a lot of problems going on in the country right now associated with the fear around this pandemic and I hope that we can use some common sense moving forward and make decisions that are going to be in the best interest of all people moving forward, and I hope that sports is a part of that at some point.”

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Here's a thought. NC has moved into "Phase 2" of reopening.
    For sports venues and arenas there is a limit of 10 indoors and 25 people outdoors. Obviously every state is different, but it would not surprise me to see crowd restrictions in place through the fall, which would make many sporting events technically illegal, right?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    "The NCAA Division I Council voted Wednesday to allow voluntary on-campus athletic activities to resume in football and men's and women's basketball, starting June 1, multiple sources confirmed to ESPN."

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-1-sources-say
    NC State, UNC to start fall semesters early and end before Thanksgiving.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    ECU ditches 4 sports. I think this is the first school in the NC system to make this move, doubt it will be the last. Two programs, each losing both their men's and women's teams.

https://www.witn.com/content/news/To...570578911.html

ECU says men's swimming and diving, women's swimming and diving, men's tennis, and women's tennis will be cut by athletics.
    Last edited by -jk; 05-21-2020 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added sports
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    For sports venues and arenas there is a limit of 10 indoors and 25 people outdoors. Obviously every state is different, but it would not surprise me to see crowd restrictions in place through the fall, which would make many sporting events technically illegal, right?
    No. The FAQ's are pretty clear about that, actually:
    Quote Originally Posted by North Carolina Governor's Office
    Can concerts, spectator sports, or other entertainment events take place in Phase 2?
    Entertainment and professional sports events at large venues may take place so they can be broadcast to the public, but spectators are subject to the mass gathering limit. Professional entertainers, athletes, coaches, performers, support staff, and broadcast staff will not count toward the mass gathering limit. Employees and other workers at facilities where entertainment events occur also will not count toward the mass gathering limit. Venue operators allowing such events must follow specific public health requirements. (emphasis added)

August to T'giving Academics -- Fall Sports On???

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    NC State, UNC to start fall semesters early and end before Thanksgiving.
    There's a growing list of schools on the August to Thanksgiving schedule: Notre Dame, UNC and State and their system, Penn State, South Carolina, maybe Stanford and others.

This will likely mean everyone will target early August (UNC is Aug. 9) and that fall sports will go on with perhaps some adjustments in schedules.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    No. The FAQ's are pretty clear about that, actually:
    Thanks. I was talking more about having crowds in the stands and us as fans actually being at the games, but per those guidelines at least the games could still happen. In that scenario, it would be liking watching a season of scrimmages.
    Know who wins the most? The refs! Only time they will never have thousands of people yelling at them because they suck.
    (I'll still be yelling, they just won't hear me.)

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    There's a growing list of schools on the August to Thanksgiving schedule: Notre Dame, UNC and State and their system, Penn State, South Carolina, maybe Stanford and others.

This will likely mean everyone will target early August (UNC is Aug. 9) and that fall sports will go on with perhaps some adjustments in schedules.
    If many major universities (and UNC) are going with with the early start I expect that others will quickly fall in line. There is safety in numbers.

OTOH, the situation in August may be a good bit better or worse than it is now so we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

I agree this is happening and what it means ... for the fall. I guess they're hoping there will be a vaccine or something by the spring semester--which is very much a flu-season semester, weather-wise--or they will just cross that bridge when they get to it.

Interesting story on how colleges may try to handle this Fall semester:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/co...?mod=home-page

President Price has issued a statement on the upcoming fall semester. No final decision has been reached. They're watching what happens in the next few weeks and plan to announce something definite by the end of June. They know that one way or another the fall semester is going to be very different from any prior fall semester.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    President Price has issued a statement on the upcoming fall semester. No final decision has been reached. They're watching what happens in the next few weeks and plan to announce something definite by the end of June. They know that one way or another the fall semester is going to be very different from any prior fall semester.
    their deadline has migrataed june 1 -> middle of june -> end of june. I have no qualms with that, so long as it means they're prepared for multiple scenarios and can delay the decision until the most information is possible.

It also means they're confident they don't need to "announce" on campus students to entice them to matriculate or otherwise not take the semester off.
    April 1

A writer at the Chronicle thinks Price's statement means there will be students on campus this fall. That's not how I read it. Price's statement could have been a little clearer. If you're a student and you really want to return to campus you might read into Price's statement an implication that students will be back on campus this fall but Price didn't say that nor, in my reading, did he even imply it.

If Covid-19 cases drop significantly over the next month, I expect Duke will have undergrads back on campus. If Covid-19 cases rise over the next month because of the relaxation of state stay at home orders, I don't expect undergrads back on campus. If new cases plateau, who knows what they'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    If many major universities (and UNC) are going with with the early start I expect that others will quickly fall in line. There is safety in numbers.

OTOH, the situation in August may be a good bit better or worse than it is now so we shall see.
    If early starts become a thing, I'm curious how that will impact kids who were actually able to get summer jobs. It is generally only a week or two but if you were counting on that money to help pay for school, every week counts. As it is, I think a lot of college students are scrambling to find something to do for the summer, and the potential loss of summer income could be a huge challenge for a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    A writer at the Chronicle thinks Price's statement means there will be students on campus this fall. That's not how I read it. Price's statement could have been a little clearer. If you're a student and you really want to return to campus you might read into Price's statement an implication that students will be back on campus this fall but Price didn't say that nor, in my reading, did he even imply it.

If Covid-19 cases drop significantly over the next month, I expect Duke will have undergrads back on campus. If Covid-19 cases rise over the next month because of the relaxation of state stay at home orders, I don't expect undergrads back on campus. If new cases plateau, who knows what they'll do.
    Clearly a lot can happen in a few months. Duke will pay attention to the numbers but there is no question that the campus poses challenges for maintaining social distances. It was designed in every way to pack humans into dorms, classrooms, dining halls and arenas. That will be nearly impossible to police and many students will be asymptomatic if exposed. The most vulnerable are professors and old basketball and football coaches - so we shall see how that goes.

The SEC announced today that athletes will be able to use on-campus facilities for voluntary workouts starting June 8.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...ilities-june-8

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Clearly a lot can happen in a few months. Duke will pay attention to the numbers but there is no question that the campus poses challenges for maintaining social distances. It was designed in every way to pack humans into dorms, classrooms, dining halls and arenas. That will be nearly impossible to police and many students will be asymptomatic if exposed. The most vulnerable are professors and old basketball and football coaches - so we shall see how that goes.
    Yeah, I took a peek in my old dorm last year (House K), man, got some really narrow spaces there...all they can do is test, track and treat, I see no way to avoid the virus...and yes, us geezers are becoming more vulnerable by day, people are moving on from isolation, we're going to have to fend for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yeah, I took a peek in my old dorm last year (House K), man, got some really narrow spaces there...all they can do is test, track and treat, I see no way to avoid the virus...and yes, us geezers are becoming more vulnerable by day, people are moving on from isolation, we're going to have to fend for ourselves.
    Yep, it’s true. Everywhere I go now in Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Raleigh, Mebane, and Burlington fewer and fewer people are wearing masks. It’s upsetting, and I feel powerless to do anything about it. I’m still wearing my mask whenever I’m at work (medical) or when I go to gas stations, grocery stores, pet stores, restaurants, etc., and it’s not that big of a deal. I don’t fully understand why so many people have a problem with it.

The only place where I can require it is at my medical office. Everywhere else it’s kind of a free-for-all. What are you going to do, you know? It is what it is, I guess.