View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 50909899100
Results 1,981 to 1,999 of 1999
    Coach K weighs in, questions whether NCAA season should continue at the moment.

As always, he makes some thoughtful points, even if you disagree.

Do I misremember that Duke was looking to host some kind of early season tournament (which seemed to me like a less than great idea)?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Coach K weighs in, questions whether NCAA season should continue at the moment.

As always, he makes some thoughtful points, even if you disagree.
    Someone in the Illinois game thread yesterday mentioned that NC Governor Roy Cooper has mandated a curfew of 10pm for all non essential activities. So even if games start at 7, staff/players wouldn’t be able to get home safely by 10. Obviously 9pm games are out. Anyone heard anything about how this might affect our schedule moving forward? I have a feeling this season won’t last much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Someone in the Illinois game thread yesterday mentioned that NC Governor Roy Cooper has mandated a curfew of 10pm for all non essential activities. So even if games start at 7, staff/players wouldn’t be able to get home safely by 10. Obviously 9pm games are out. Anyone heard anything about how this might affect our schedule moving forward? I have a feeling this season won’t last much longer.
    there's an exception for sports.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    According to a Duke memo:

Quote Originally Posted by Duke
    The order also allows for an exception to the 10 p.m. cut-off time for collegiate athletic events that are already scheduled during the effective period of the order.
    The order runs from this Friday through January 8th. Of course, Duke could prohibit normal operations on its own, but with TV revenue coming in, my guess is that they won't unilaterally step away before the student body returns to campus, which is when the risk to the Duke community will spike.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    According to a Duke memo:

The order runs from this Friday through January 8th. Of course, Duke could prohibit normal operations on its own, but with TV revenue coming in, my guess is that they won't unilaterally step away before the student body returns to campus, which is when the risk to the Duke community will spike.
    with things being more dire now than they were in august, I somewhat imagine if they'll open at all in the spring.
    1200. DDMF.

BC passes on bowl bid

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...me-2020-season

I was suspicious this might happen, given that outside the top handful of bowls, most are not huge financial wins (and reportedly 10-20 teams lose money each year). The schools earned their conference TV share, which is the big haul, and it's not worth the risk to keep things going.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...me-2020-season

I was suspicious this might happen, given that outside the top handful of bowls, most are not huge financial wins (and reportedly 10-20 teams lose money each year). The schools earned their conference TV share, which is the big haul, and it's not worth the risk to keep things going.
    I suspected as much as well. Maybe Duke gets an invite afterall!

GT-Miami football game for 12-19 cancelled.

https://theacc.com/news/2020/12/11/g...-canceled.aspx

UL women have positives...days after playing duke

1200. DDMF.

NY has put all high-risk high school athletics including basketball on indefinite hold. Meaning AJ Griffin likely won’t be playing this season. I suspect we’ll see more of this around the country.

https://www.syracuse.com/highschools...outputType=amp

Here in Wake County NC they are letting the kids play but they have to wear masks during practice and games. I think it’s ridiculous that the county and state are allowing this. It’s not like they’re gonna be running up and down the court in correctly fitted N95 masks. I get that they want high schoolers to try to have some normalcy but this just seems stubborn bordering on irrational.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

FWIW word on the street is vaccines should be starting for duke health on tuesday or wednesday, with the plan to have the entirety of duke health vaccinated within a couple months.
    1200. DDMF.

the creighton women are PLAYING in masks against uconn tonight.

At the very least, it's good messaging. I can't imagine having to do physical activity with one, though.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    the creighton women are PLAYING in masks against uconn tonight.

At the very least, it's good messaging. I can't imagine having to do physical activity with one, though.
    Running in them is extremely difficult. The disposable ones are more breathable than cloth, but even still it’s a challenge.

Latest from Duke, for those who are interested

Quote Originally Posted by President Price
    Dear Duke Colleagues,
    This holiday season, we are grateful for the many ways that our community has come together to support one another and look toward an even brighter future.
    We are grateful to our health care providers and frontline workers for keeping us safe and allowing us to continue our missions of teaching, learning, and discovery. We are grateful for the remarkable launch of the COVID-19 vaccine this week and proud of Duke’s role in it. We are grateful to all of our students, faculty, staff, and neighbors who worked tirelessly and selflessly over the last year to make our fall semester a success.
    The holidays also offer a moment for quiet reflection—and resolve. We are now in the midst of a deeply concerning surge of COVID-19 across the country and around the world. Now more than ever, we must continue to observe public health guidelines to protect our health and safety, and that of our families, friends, and fellow Blue Devils. Even in this holiday season, that means wearing a mask, practicing social distancing, avoiding social gatherings, and washing our hands.
    In the new year, we look forward to welcoming our students back to campus for the spring semester. Undergraduate, graduate, and professional students will soon receive specific details with regards to academic programs, living arrangements, food service, access to campus facilities, health and safety protocols, testing, and limitations on gatherings. And while we expect that the spring semester will look much like the fall, it is important to remember that all our plans are dynamic and subject to change on short notice depending on current conditions and the guidance from Duke medical experts, public health officials, and state and local government directives.
    I thank you for all you’ve done to lift our community in this most unusual and challenging of years and wish you all safe and peaceful holidays and brighter days in the New Year. Warmest wishes from everyone at Duke.
    Sincerely,
    Vincent E. Price
    President
    Emphasis mine.
    1200. DDMF.

I counted a few masks, and one, maybe 2 over the nose. Go Bama!
    As with the other recent huge and largely maskless crowd (Capitol Building, last Wednesday), this one was completely predictable--and there is no way that people won't die because of it.

alabama maskless.jpg37898976-9137545-Hundreds_of_Alabama_college_football_fans_took_to_the_streets_la-a-166_16104545.jpgNRJQVYWGIM2OIAPIDJ4UWTZQLY.jpg
    Last edited by johnb; 01-13-2021 at 02:37 PM.

Eleven (11) games scheduled for tonight involving Top 25 teams. Seven (7) have been postponed.

University of Michigan is pausing all sports for up to two weeks after confirming cases of the variant virus.

http://https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2021/01/23/university-of-michigan-athletics-pause-covid-19-variant/6691595002/

University of Vermont Catamounts pausing (pawsing) all sports as well...