View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 94 of 100 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 1999
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I imagine duke will have no interest in relaxing their current lockdown. I can see them allowing students, but I put the chance they allow non-affiliates on campus for a football game at approximately 0%. They want no part of what happened to UNC or NCSU, are currently doing okay, at least seemingly such that they can make it out the semester...there is no reason to risk that.
    The radio broadcast said students were congregating outside Wally Wade to watch the BC game on the scoreboard. It's safer to space them out in Wally Wade, but students didn't exactly physically distance for the ND game from what I saw on TV.

The bottom line: if you want to see Duke football in person this year, buy tickets for the GT game over Thanksgiving. I don't see NCSU tickets for the general public, and I don't see fans getting into the FSU game after the students leave. The proposed Duke basketball bubble runs the same weekend.

I imagine duke will have no interest in relaxing their current lockdown. I can see them allowing students, but I put the chance they allow non-affiliates on campus for a football game at approximately 0%. They want no part of what happened to UNC or NCSU, are currently doing okay, at least seemingly such that they can make it out the semester...there is no reason to risk that.
    I agree. Duke’s CoVid test results to date have been very good compared to so many other schools. The students seem to be behaving, and the protocols for random testing, pool testing, and precautionary quarantines seem to be working so far. They are about halfway there, and if they can make it to Thanksgiving without a major cluster, it would be a major accomplishment. I can’t see the school risking a set-back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I agree. Duke’s CoVid test results to date have been very good compared to so many other schools. The students seem to be behaving, and the protocols for random testing, pool testing, and precautionary quarantines seem to be working so far. They are about halfway there, and if they can make it to Thanksgiving without a major cluster, it would be a major accomplishment. I can’t see the school risking a set-back.
    finals and the end of the semester will be before thanksgiving, so not only is it a major accomplishment, but it constitutes success.
    April 1

finals and the end of the semester will be before thanksgiving, so not only is it a major accomplishment, but it constitutes success.
    Well, exactly. That’s what I meant. Halfway there.

Notre Dame "postpones" this week's game against Wake Forest. 7 ND football players have tested positive for Covid-19 (hopefully, none of them came in close contact with Duke players).

https://www.wilx.com/2020/09/22/notr...ses-confirmed/

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Notre Dame "postpones" this week's game against Wake Forest. 7 ND football players have tested positive for Covid-19 (hopefully, none of them came in close contact with Duke players).

https://www.wilx.com/2020/09/22/notr...ses-confirmed/
    Rescheduled to December 12th.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    No, I wasn't being facetious. I was being sarcastic. With a sizable dose of what-are-these-people-thinking.
    Chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I noticed some coaches (I believe one was Cut) actually pulled their masks down when they wanted to talk to a player. Less than 6’ away of course.
    NFL coaches from at least 5 teams are getting fined 6 figures for not wearing masks while on national tv. I wonder if they wear masks when no one’s watching? https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/22/us/nf...rnd/index.html

What’s the messaging when heroes don’t cover their mouths?

The highest Covid rates in the country: Louisiana, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Iowa, Arkansas, North Dakota, and Texas

Essentially, it’s SEC football + Arizona/Iowa +/- motorcycle rally
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...cans-by-state/

I’ll watch the games, because I’m not above hypocrisy, but Duke football has firmly planted its feet on the side of a nationwide carelessness that i fear will crush this country in the coming months. Sure, Duke has a whole lot of marshmallow students** and will likely stay relatively infection free, but—in retrospect—we’re not going to be seen as having chosen the side of the angels.

**in a classic psych test, they offer a kid a marshmallow that he can eat right now, or he can wait a while and get a 2nd marshmallow. Those who grab marshmallows quickly tend not to jump the hurdles to get into Duke.
    Last edited by johnb; 09-26-2020 at 08:31 AM.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Syracuse/Georgia Tech “on hold” right now. Looks like the issue is with the Wreck, as their players were not out on the field under the new dome in NY.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Syracuse/Georgia Tech “on hold” right now. Looks like the issue is with the Wreck, as their players were not out on the field under the new dome in NY.
    Update. Syracuse is “confirming negative tests” before taking the field.

GT ‘apparently hasn’t played football in New York State in 95 years. Guess they probably don’t want to come back anytime soon, either.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

**in a classic psych test, they offer a kid a marshmallow that he can eat right now, or he can wait a while and get a 2nd marshmallow. Those who grab marshmallows quickly tend not to jump the hurdles to get into Duke.
    I thought it was cookies. I could wait forever for that marshmallow. But a chocolate-chip cookie and we're having a different conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Update. Syracuse is “confirming negative tests” before taking the field.

GT ‘apparently hasn’t played football in New York State in 95 years. Guess they probably don’t want to come back anytime soon, either.
    NY/NJ/CT have a mandatory 2 week quarantine for people from any of about 3 dozen states. Georgia, with the 6th highest rate in the country, is obviously on the list.

I just did a little review, and, from what I can tell, the only people who can avoid the NY quarantine are some health care workers and football players/teams who are traveling to play Syracuse, Buffalo, and Army. A negative test doesn’t ordinarily reduce the duration of the quarantine, so they’re lucky they can get away with just a test (Which, as everybody knows, still has lots of false negatives).

Duke football players and their families are beginning to grumble about family members not being allowed to attend games as allowed at neighboring schools.

https://www.si.com/college/duke/foot...h0AcPkac17y2iw
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke football players and their families are beginning to grumble about family members not being allowed to attend games as allowed at neighboring schools.

It's unfortunate, but perhaps they haven't noticed that "neighboring schools" also had to shut down a week into the semester due to their cavalier attitudes. Duke refuses to be #3.
    April 1

a few more clunkers like the last game, and these folks might be grateful to not be in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    a few more clunkers like the last game, and these folks might be grateful to not be in attendance.
    I am grateful to have Comcast (for a change), so as not to be tempted to watch. I listened to the UVA game. We looked ugly even on the radio.

NY/NJ/CT have a mandatory 2 week quarantine for people from any of about 3 dozen states. Georgia, with the 6th highest rate in the country, is obviously on the list.

I just did a little review, and, from what I can tell, the only people who can avoid the NY quarantine are some health care workers and football players/teams who are traveling to play Syracuse, Buffalo, and Army. A negative test doesn’t ordinarily reduce the duration of the quarantine, so they’re lucky they can get away with just a test (Which, as everybody knows, still has lots of false negatives).

Interesting that we prioritize health care workers and football players in our society, right? Quite a contrast in "exceptions" group.

I understand where players and their families are coming from, but have less sympathy than I do for parents of Kindergartens who aren't allowed to go to school at all...and haven't for 6 months. (I recognize they are back at school in certain states/districts.)

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I thought it was cookies. I could wait forever for that marshmallow. But a chocolate-chip cookie and we're having a different conversation.
    I’m a grump about Covid, but I do appreciate Jim bringing me back to reality.

Unless a marshmallow is on a stick, in a fire, while I’m in the mood to burn my mouth, or in the mood to create a s’more, which is very difficult to eat, I’d be willing to stack marshmallows til the cows come home in exchange for a chocolate chip cookie.
    Last edited by johnb; 10-01-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Interesting that we prioritize health care workers and football players in our society, right? Quite a contrast in "exceptions" group.

I understand where players and their families are coming from, but have less sympathy than I do for parents of Kindergartens who aren't allowed to go to school at all...and haven't for 6 months. (I recognize they are back at school in certain states/districts.)
    Once we’ve decided to play the games, I’m fine with Duke football families getting to roam an empty stadium.

In contrast to a game I watched over the weekend. Texas Vs Texas Tech. Fairly crowded stadium. Great game if you like offense. The camerawork was amazing. They captured the game while relentlessly avoiding the fact that the Tech fans were mostly not wearing masks. This included folks who seemed to be officially working for the home team. This is why I gnash my teeth to sleep every night. Yes, I’m happy to watch Duke continue to lose football games (tho I’d rather they win—which might require someone else to call plays, sheesh), and I’m still active (and winning) on yahoo fantasy football. But the optics, the messaging, is that we’re back to normal. And while most of us go way out of our way to obey the basic rules, and most of us are undergoing a variety of hardships, the whole country is going to drown if 15% of us are careless, and Duke has decided that playing football is okay even though normalization of month 10 tilts the scales to the 15%, and to our country’s leadership in deaths rather than in leadership.

Basically, if we want kids to go to kindergarten, the country needs to follow the rules we expect from the 5 year olds.

I shoulda stuck with cookies.

I’m a grump about Covid, but I do appreciate Jim bringing me back to reality.

Unless a marshmallow is on a stick, in a fire, while I’m in the mood to burn my mouth, or in the mood to create a s’more, which is very difficult to eat, I’d be willing to stack marshmallows til the cows come home in exchange for a chocolate chip cookie.
    I love chocolate chip cookies, too, but don’t write off marshmallows completely until you’ve tried Japanese marshmallows. They are amazing. A much softer texture, while still being marshmallow-like, and they are much, much more subtly sweetened. Delicious. Not quite as good as a chocolate chip cookie, but delightful in their own right and much harder to resist than their American counterparts.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust