View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 56 of 100 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1999
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I just wish Kevin White would stop sending me his stupid, self-serving "updates" on Duke's plans, which at the present time are, to me at least, laughable.

I'll simply await the ultimate option: either donate the price of this year's football tickets to Duke, or roll them into 2021.
    That's what I am waiting for too. UNC cancelled its football season tickets and offered season ticketholders the choice of: a refund, rolling the amount paid toward a 2021 season ticket package, or donating the money. I am not comfortable any games in person this fall - if there are games. Given the choice I'd prefer to roll the money I paid for 2020 Duke Football season tickets to a 2021 season ticket plan.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...navirus-391992

NCAA ditches fall championships for hundreds of schools

Athletes at hundreds of colleges and universities won't participate in fall championships, after the NCAA's second- and third-tier divisions canceled postseason competitions.
    Last edited by -jk; 08-06-2020 at 10:38 AM. Reason: context

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...son-to-proceed

The latest from the NCAA. College athletes can sit out the season and not lose their athletic scholarship. IMHO, this will be HUGE for many schools and athletes (I assume it applies to all sports?). I'm guessing many college athletes will go down this road.
    I'm sure it has been mentioned.. .but if the current seniors decide to wait a year and play in 2021... thus they hold on to eligibility for an extra year - what happens to the incoming freshman who have scholarship offers (dependent on the current seniors leaving) ??! THoughts?? this really throws a wrench in things with recruiting

ideas? has anything been said about this?

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    I'm sure it has been mentioned.. .but if the current seniors decide to wait a year and play in 2021... thus they hold on to eligibility for an extra year - what happens to the incoming freshman who have scholarship offers (dependent on the current seniors leaving) ??! THoughts?? this really throws a wrench in things with recruiting

ideas? has anything been said about this?
    Everything is headed sideways in college sports and high school sports. Very few games will be played in either, and few if any full seasons will be completed. There will have to be some sea changes for both to accommodate this unprecedented situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Everything is headed sideways in college sports and high school sports. Very few games will be played in either, and few if any full seasons will be completed. There will have to be some sea changes for both to accommodate this unprecedented situation.
    On cue, NC high school sports postponed indefinitely.

High school sports again postponed; no new start date at this time
    https://wlos.com/sports/content/high...e-at-this-time

I don't really think we will have any college sports this fall and winter unless there is a vaccine available before the new year, and even then that's iffy. I just can only hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

Louisville dismisses three soccer players.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...-holding-party

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Louisville dismisses three soccer players.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...-holding-party
    Not unlike what we can expect at many other schools...kids being kids, The Covid is unforgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Yeah, Jim Calhoun has always seemed like a bit of a jerk. And he ran what appeared to be somewhat of a shady basketball program at UConn.

But I don’t blame him for not being willing to give up some of his salary to help alleviate the state’s budget woes. Did other state employees really give up part of their salary? I have a hard time believing they did it willingly, if they did it at all.
    I don't know about Connecticut during the Great Recession, as it used to be called.

I can tell you that the University of Missouri asked employees to volunteer to donate back salary this spring, then issued (in a rather ham-handed fashion) salary cuts across the board above $50K, in tiers that were supposed to be progressive but weren't as progressive as they made it sound like. So state employees are definitely handing some of it back. Given how many zero raise years we've had in the last decade, most of us are making less in real terms than we were in the mid-2000s, despite very tame inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I just wish Kevin White would stop sending me his stupid, self-serving "updates" on Duke's plans, which at the present time are, to me at least, laughable.
    Wait, people read those. Word?

Pertinent article from The Washington Post

Nothing really new, but many pertinent facts and observations

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ge%2Fstory-ans
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post

Seems pretty well-thought out and well-argued to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post

This is a first-rate Sally Jenkins column. Powerful and controversial. "Money (literally) quote:"

Understand this: These schools don’t have a money problem. They have a shopping addiction. From 2004 to 2018, NCAA revenue exploded from $3 billion to $14 billion thanks largely to media rights, licensing and sponsorship deals. Yet some schools are so financially distressed that a single canceled football season could be catastrophic. Stanford has cut 11 sports, and Wisconsin informed donors that it could face a $100 million shortfall. Where’d the money go? The answer is, to compulsive spending and gross misallocation. Hundreds of millions disappeared into the pockets of deputy assistant associate athletic directors for administration, conference commissioners for the commission of commissions and Nick Saban’s corporate-welfare army of “football analysts.”
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

We all love Duke basketball – some of us love Duke football – and some love other Duke sports. And a common justification for the inordinate amount spent on collegiate athletics has been the revenue that offsets the expenditures.

Personally, I find the expenditures outlined as exceptionally troubling recognizing these are academic institutions - not athletic institutions. There’s something perverse as to how much is paid to college football and basketball coaches, and even more troubling how much is paid to buy out their contracts when they do not succeed. With title IX requiring equal scholarships for women, football necessitates a huge number of women sports that are barely played by most and not watched by virtually any. Fencing, field hockey, softball are some of them. I take no issue with having varsity sports of this nature – but there is a cost for all of it. And it is either being subsidized by other students or using funds that can be allocated to more appropriate needs – including academic scholarships.

Putting aside the issue of compensating players – which is its own hornets nest - the collegiate athletic system is broken. And perhaps this pandemic is highlighting the silliness of so many components of it.

As much as I respect and hold coach k in the highest regard - at so many levels - and acknowledge that his success is incredible and has done so much for Duke – it is still difficult to justify an academic institution paying a coach millions of dollars.

Ultimately, a large part of the problem is the athletics that we love at the schools are far more important to so many “fans“ and alumni than are the academics. When I asked a Duke alumni (who is 38) whether he would rather have two national championships in the next decade or a increase in Dukes academic reputation to compete with HYS, I was told that the national championships meant far more to him. I am not saying that I do not respect his opinion and his choice, but it does tell you his focus.

At the end of the day, I do not believe that much will change beyond fiscal deficits and killing some non-revenue sports.

I've never see so many look forward to Duke sports seasons...being cancelled.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...es-move-spring

The next domino has fallen. Without the MAC, 4 ACC schools are now looking for opponents by 9/12. UNC just added UNC-Charlotte, which is in C-USA if you did not know.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post

The next domino has fallen. Without the MAC, 4 ACC schools are now looking for opponents by 9/12. UNC just added UNC-Charlotte, which is in C-USA if you did not know.
    Big 10 might be cancelling too apparently. Hope that’s not the case though.

Just got a notification on my addiction-device that the Mid-American Conference is postponing fall football.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Big 10 might be cancelling too apparently. Hope that’s not the case though.
    Source? Link?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Source? Link?
    From the article, on the MAC cancelling:

There is a statement saying Big 10 Presidents are meeting. It does not say why but it could be interpreted as they are meeting to discuss cancelling. Of course, that interpretation might be a stretch.
    Bob Green