View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 35 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast
    ESPN reporting increased interest in Spring football, but I have absolutely no idea how that makes sense unless there's a vaccine widely available by February or so...seems like this season is a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think soccer is fine as is and doesn’t need any changes. I’m past trying to convince folks about the game. It has become my favorite sport to watch on television, and has been for some time.
    Seems like trying to either belittle soccer or make people feel unsophisticated if they don't appreciate it has (finally) fallen out of favor.

Soccer isn't the next big thing in America that you are missing. But, it is still the most popular sport in the known universe. Both these statements can live in harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Seems like trying to either belittle soccer or make people feel unsophisticated if they don't appreciate it has (finally) fallen out of favor.

Soccer isn't the next big thing in America that you are missing. But, it is still the most popular sport in the known universe. Both these statements can live in harmony.
    I think that all means different strokes for different folks.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Bigger net
    Unlimited subs on the fly similar to hockey
    Find a way to stop diving.

Then we can talk!
    Smaller net
    No goalie
    Much smaller field
    Um,...maybe use your hands instead of your feet?
    Then, perhaps move the net up about 10 feet and attach it to a metal ring?
    Maybe replace the grass or turf with, um, say, maybe hardwood?
    Have the players bounce the ball on the hardwood when they are moving with it?

I dunno if it would work, but these are a few of the ideas I had about how to make the game more interesting....
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Smaller net
    No goalie
    Much smaller field
    Um,...maybe use your hands instead of your feet?
    Then, perhaps move the net up about 10 feet and attach it to a metal ring?
    Maybe replace the grass or turf with, um, say, maybe hardwood?
    Have the players bounce the ball on the hardwood when they are moving with it?

I dunno if it would work, but these are a few of the ideas I had about how to make the game more interesting...
    Did I ever tell you of my fondness for Cricket? It all started as a wee lad, when I was dragooned into His Majesty's Royal Corps and sent to Borneo. I was supping with the Sultan of Brunei over tea and the most scrumptious crumpets that could be had in all of Maritime Southeast Asia. We were birding in the rain forest and ready to retire to camp, when bloody hell a bit of a monsoon washed our guide down the river. Stiff upper lip and whatnot, we pressed forward through the malarial swamps until we reached the impromptu cricket pitch the lads had set up on the outskirts of Samarinda. And well, to make a long story shorter, three tests later and the wickets simply splintered from the oppressive humidity.

But by gosh, it was smashing good fun!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Did I ever tell you of my fondness for Cricket? It all started as a wee lad, when I was dragooned into His Majesty's Royal Corps and sent to Borneo. I was supping with the Sultan of Brunei over tea and the most scrumptious crumpets that could be had in all of Maritime Southeast Asia. We were birding in the rain forest and ready to retire to camp, when bloody hell a bit of a monsoon washed our guide down the river. Stiff upper lip and whatnot, we pressed forward through the malarial swamps until we reached the impromptu cricket pitch the lads had set up on the outskirts of Samarinda. And well, to make a long story shorter, three tests later and the wickets simply splintered from the oppressive humidity.

But by gosh, it was smashing good fun!
    Someone could spend three hours explaining to me the scoring system in cricket, and if I were still awake, I would still not have a clue.
    PS...good story...hip hip!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think soccer is fine as is and doesn’t need any changes. I’m past trying to convince folks about the game. It has become my favorite sport to watch on television, and has been for some time.
    I hadn’t realized until this post that in addition to being an avid and accomplished DBR pontificator you were also a comedian.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Someone could spend three hours explaining to me the scoring system in cricket, and if I were still awake, I would still not have a clue.
    PS...good story...hip hip!
    A bowler for your stumps, and Bob's your uncle!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ESPN reporting increased interest in Spring football, but I have absolutely no idea how that makes sense unless there's a vaccine widely available by February or so...seems like this season is a lost cause.
    Cut made the vaccine-not-likely-in-the-spring argument in his Zoom press conference last week. But he used this as a reason for having football this fall rather than next spring. Like you I think it's a stronger argument for not having football at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Cut made the vaccine-not-likely-in-the-spring argument in his Zoom press conference last week. But he used this as a reason for having football this fall rather than next spring. Like you I think it's a stronger argument for not having football at all.
    Agreed. Football might be the single dumbest sport to play during this pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Agreed. Football might be the single dumbest sport to play during this pandemic.
    Rugby, wearing a sheepish grin, is waving hello from the back row.

... not to mention Greco-Roman Wrestlng

Cricket is the perfect social distancing sport. Just sayin’

Cricket is the perfect social distancing sport. Just sayin’
    It will certainly keep potential spectators at a safe distance.

Here's a creative way of keeping busy at home...

The Swish Machine: 70 Step Basketball Trickshot (Rube Goldberg Machine)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss-P4qLLUyk

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Here's a creative way of keeping busy at home...

The Swish Machine: 70 Step Basketball Trickshot (Rube Goldberg Machine)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss-P4qLLUyk
    That is great. I am not enough of an engineer to even imagine such a machine, much less build it. Thanks for a 3+ minute laugh.

Apparently I am on a Duke lacrosse mailing list (who knew) and I got an e-mail earlier today that the two professional lacrosse leagues are both having tournaments coming up. MLL is in Annapolis, MD starting this Saturday. PLL is in Utah starting July 25. There are 12 Duke alums in the PLL and two in the MLL. The PLL is the new league that started about a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Rugby, wearing a sheepish grin, is waving hello from the back row.
    As a former rugger myself, rugby comes a close second. Way fewer players taking the field/pitch, smaller teams. But same problematic concept, yes.

Rugby may be ok - I think I heard that alcohol kills the virus.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Exactly. Moreover, publicly decrying how boring soccer supposedly is--while literally billions of people have made it the most popular sport on earth--is so 1980s. Or Jim Rome in the 1990s, which is kind of the same thing.