View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 93 of 100 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 1999
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    It can be, you just have to be meow-y careful.
    Did you really just post that? You've cat to be kitten me right meow!

Svrluga on the Big Ten Reversing Field

Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post and a Duke grad goes off on the Big Ten and college athletics generally:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ts-is-exposed/

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Did you really just post that? You've cat to be kitten me right meow!
    I’m not a proud man. No lion.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post and a Duke grad goes off on the Big Ten and college athletics generally:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ts-is-exposed/
    A couple of cordial, friendly suggestions.

It’d be awesome if Duke could supply Coach Cut with a mask that fits so that it wouldn’t fall and expose his nose, repeatedly, during halftime interviews.

And, gosh, maybe the announcers at halftime would talk to each other, without masks, from further than 3 feet apart.

These behaviors, and their underlying message, are why some folks aren’t enthusiastic about college football during a global pandemic.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    A couple of cordial, friendly suggestions.

It’d be awesome if Duke could supply Coach Cut with a mask that fits so that it wouldn’t fall and expose his nose, repeatedly, during halftime interviews.

And, gosh, maybe the announcers at halftime would talk to each other, without masks, from further than 3 feet apart.

These behaviors, and their underlying message, are why some folks aren’t enthusiastic about college football during a global pandemic.
    It may have been a different broadcast (I thought it was ours) but there was a sometimes visible plastic/plexglass screen between the two announcers. Makes it easier to talk while broadcasting, and also be close enough to be able to see your partner's hand signals. Six feet might now allow that to happen while watching the field.

Interesting story today on Bloomberg.com (with a quote from a Duke MD) about the ongoing disaster on college campuses. Worth reading, IMHO.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-to-spill-over

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Interesting story today on Bloomberg.com (with a quote from a Duke MD) about the ongoing disaster on college campuses. Worth reading, IMHO.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-to-spill-over
    Along those lines, a wire service story in the newspaper (yes!) today talked about the huge challenges Big 10 schools face now that the We Have to Play Football dog has caught the car. Lots of significant outbreaks on campuses and adjacent towns.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Along those lines, a wire service story in the newspaper (yes!) today talked about the huge challenges Big 10 schools face now that the We Have to Play Football dog has caught the car. Lots of significant outbreaks on campuses and adjacent towns.

At least it doesn't get cold in the Midwest until after the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    It may have been a different broadcast (I thought it was ours) but there was a sometimes visible plastic/plexglass screen between the two announcers. Makes it easier to talk while broadcasting, and also be close enough to be able to see your partner's hand signals. Six feet might now allow that to happen while watching the field.
    This. I think most of the broacast crews have a plexiglass screen right between the play-by-play person and the color commentator. The camera angle doesn't show it very well because it is seeing only the thin side of the plexiglass pane and also, well, because plexiglass is, um, clear and colorless.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This. I think most of the broacast crews have a plexiglass screen right between the play-by-play person and the color commentator. The camera angle doesn't show it very well because it is seeing only the thin side of the plexiglass pane and also, well, because plexiglass is, um, clear and colorless.
    Could they be using the Gardol Shield of my youth? Anyone else remember that? No way germs get thru that thing...clear but impenetrable...

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Could they be using the Gardol Shield of my youth? Anyone else remember that? No way germs get thru that thing...clear but impenetrable...
    And for some, I’d prefer the cone of silence.

Anyone else notice that Kansas City coach Andy Reid had a "no-fog" face shield on in last night's game? Stayed clear all night. Against the Texans, his face shield seemed to be always fogged over. Presumably a technology upgrade?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Coach Cutcliffe has use of the Cone of Silence (regarding injury reports) until the end of the season, then I think he'd be willing to share it.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Anyone else notice that Kansas City coach Andy Reid had a "no-fog" face shield on in last night's game? Stayed clear all night. Against the Texans, his face shield seemed to be always fogged over. Presumably a technology upgrade?
    They mentioned it on the broadcast. I just chalked it up to humidity/night game vs sunny/day game

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    They mentioned it on the broadcast. I just chalked it up to humidity/night game vs sunny/day game
    In fact it's new, improved technology that saved the day...https://deadspin.com/chiefs-develop-...ace-1845122165

I noticed yesterday that a lot of coaches don't even bother trying to cover the nose and mouth...

I noticed yesterday that a lot of coaches don't even bother trying to cover the nose and mouth...
    I noticed some coaches (I believe one was Cut) actually pulled their masks down when they wanted to talk to a player. Less than 6’ away of course.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    At least it doesn't get cold in the Midwest until after the end of the season.
    uh -no. I assume you are being facetious.

My daughter spent the last 10 football seasons living in Chicago.
    Her husband is a Northwestern grad, so they go to games. It gets cold, it snows and nobody wants to socially distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    uh -no. I assume you are being facetious.

My daughter spent the last 10 football seasons living in Chicago.
    Her husband is a Northwestern grad, so they go to games. It gets cold, it snows and nobody wants to socially distance.
    No, I wasn't being facetious. I was being sarcastic. With a sizable dose of what-are-these-people-thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    No, I wasn't being facetious. I was being sarcastic. With a sizable dose of what-are-these-people-thinking.
    Roy Cooper now allowing 7% capacity in stadiums over 10k. Not sure the science behind 7%, but if Duke chooses and there’s enough fan interest, we will have about 2,800 at the next football game.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Roy Cooper now allowing 7% capacity in stadiums over 10k. Not sure the science behind 7%, but if Duke chooses and there’s enough fan interest, we will have about 2,800 at the next football game.
    I imagine duke will have no interest in relaxing their current lockdown. I can see them allowing students, but I put the chance they allow non-affiliates on campus for a football game at approximately 0%. They want no part of what happened to UNC or NCSU, are currently doing okay, at least seemingly such that they can make it out the semester...there is no reason to risk that.
    April 1