View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 15 of 100 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    If a student gets the virus- they will be quarantined and others that they were in contact may as well. If Duke gives athletes an exemption- this will not go well. In addition all students must wear masks. Again I don’t see how this will work for sports. It is easier to have sports at the pro level- where they can operate with different rules and where there is a supply of minor leaguers and scout team players etc to fill needs- but unless schools decide to treat athletes as a special group- it will be very hard to have games in the Fall.
    It looks like you are describing an institution about 8 miles down the road from Duke. This seems pretty doable at UNC.

And now back to an actual discussion. My worry is also for the coaches. There are some geezeresque coaches in the ACC and it would be a really bad look to lose one of them to the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I don't see how that works in practice- It will be very disruptive on a campus- shutting down face to face classes and activities for half a month. They may quickly run out of room in the quarantine dorms. Hard to know how this will play out.
    I'd say from this point it's hard to see how pretty much anything plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'd say from this point it's hard to see how pretty much anything plays out.
    Sums up just about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Sums up just about everything.
    I think MtnDevil was a little to specific.

Interesting article in Business Week made the point (correctly or not) that virtual attendance at schools, including the top ones, isn't going to fly, at least not for very long. Students absolutely hate it, their parents hate it ("I'm paying $78k for THIS?"), professors hate it.
    Lots of kids looking to defer admission for a year while this (hopefully) passes. A friend of mine is a loyal Middlebury grad, he goes each summer to take an alumni class, and he loves it. But he just tried a virtual class, and said it was simply awful, he'd never do it again.

Mitch Daniels, president of Purdue, is taking a different approach, certainly seems like high risk...he's grown the student population to 44,000, and says he wants everyone back on campus, and they'll simply take on the challenge of managing the disease. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...online-classes

Pretty interesting read...

One rather large problem which I don't think the article addresses is that while young students each have a very very low risk of suffering a severe illness, the same isn't true for their significantly older professors. Perhaps this can be managed by profs entering classrooms late, leaving ahead of everyone, trying their best to avoid personal contact...

I guess widely differing approaches will teach us something about how to live with the virus...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Interesting article in Business Week made the point (correctly or not) that virtual attendance at schools, including the top ones, isn't going to fly, at least not for very long. Students absolutely hate it, their parents hate it ("I'm paying $78k for THIS?"), professors hate it.
    Lots of kids looking to defer admission for a year while this (hopefully) passes. A friend of mine is a loyal Middlebury grad, he goes each summer to take an alumni class, and he loves it. But he just tried a virtual class, and said it was simply awful, he'd never do it again.
    A great on-campus educational experience in a safe manner doesn't seem like too much to ask for $78k.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    A great on-campus educational experience in a safe manner doesn't seem like too much to ask for $78k.
    it's one of the reasons schools have announced on-campus fall so far ahead of time...regardless of whether it actually happens or not. The wiggle room on class size is not big enough at most universities to accommodate any non-trivial amount of students taking a semester off.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it's one of the reasons schools have announced on-campus fall so far ahead of time...regardless of whether it actually happens or not. The wiggle room on class size is not big enough at most universities to accommodate any non-trivial amount of students taking a semester off.
    I think there are a lot of students, particularly incoming freshmen, who are now scrambling to figure out gap year plans. I’m not sure how the schools are responding to this. If a large number of students are allowed to do this, they will need to admit more students off the wait list (and make it clear that they are only admitted if they are showing up this fall).

Then there would be a huge backlog of freshmen entering next year so I would hate to be a junior in HS now who will be competing for fewer seats.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I think there are a lot of students, particularly incoming freshmen, who are now scrambling to figure out gap year plans. I’m not sure how the schools are responding to this. If a large number of students are allowed to do this, they will need to admit more students off the wait list (and make it clear that they are only admitted if they are showing up this fall).

Then there would be a huge backlog of freshmen entering next year so I would hate to be a junior in HS now who will be competing for fewer seats.
    This is exactly why a large number of colleges are determined to get kids back on campus...a huge number of people realize that an on-line college experience is no college experience at all. Gotta keep the students coming and the money flowing.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    This is exactly why a large number of colleges are determined to get kids back on campus...a huge number of people realize that an on-line college experience is no college experience at all. Gotta keep the students coming and the money flowing.
    And some may find that while not an on campus experience, it can result in a fone education.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    And some may find that while not an on campus experience, it can result in a fone education.
    Did you mean to say fine, or am I missing some ingenious inside joke of some kind?

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Did you mean to say fine, or am I missing some ingenious inside joke of some kind?
    No, I meant fine. Just club fingers on a phone. 😂

it's not just freshmen. A good number of people flat out told me they would take the year off if fall it was remote. Now, how many would follow through when duke says "no guarantee you will be readmitted," who knows, but the sentiment is there, and I imagine a very real problem at some of the state schools (that said, larger schools will have more wiggle room in terms of raw student count)
    1200. DDMF.

I have a HS junior. I wonder what a massive gap year cohort does to his class' prospects for admissions and frosh year. Surely frosh dorms can't handle a class and a half, and then there're all those typical freshman classes.

-jk

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Carolina can give you a phone it in education.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it's not just freshmen. A good number of people flat out told me they would take the year off if fall it was remote. Now, how many would follow through when duke says "no guarantee you will be readmitted," who knows, but the sentiment is there, and I imagine a very real problem at some of the state schools (that said, larger schools will have more wiggle room in terms of raw student count)
    Interesting - thanks. Do you think that at some point Duke (and other schools) will follow through and start telling students that if they take a year off, they might not be invited back? I assume that until now, Duke was pretty lenient about letting students do that? There must have been a notification deadline to do so so that Duke had time to adjust (with obvious exceptions for true last minute hardship cases)? The Dukes of the world are in a better position to draw the line then schools with weaker demand.

Interesting - thanks. Do you think that at some point Duke (and other schools) will follow through and start telling students that if they take a year off, they might not be invited back? I assume that until now, Duke was pretty lenient about letting students do that? There must have been a notification deadline to do so so that Duke had time to adjust (with obvious exceptions for true last minute hardship cases)? The Dukes of the world are in a better position to draw the line then schools with weaker demand.
    Indeed, I've read that some colleges are declining to offer a one year deferral...just too many people asking for it.

Parents will also realize that a "gap year" is likely to involve junior hanging around the house, which is suboptimal for everyone...

I THINK the official duke policy is that if you take a semester off, you have to reapply for admittance, which is generally granted...but I imagine in cases such as this where there might be a huge % of the student population seeking to do that, it gives the university an "out" since there is effectively a maximum capacity.

So were a student to do that, they'd run the risk of never getting back in, or not being able to start back up when they wanted to. That's a pretty darn huge risk to take...then again so is paying 39k for a semester in which you receive education that is at best, almost, but not quite as good as , and at worst, significantly inferior to what it ought be.
    1200. DDMF.

With the NBA saying July 31, it would appear the 8 people who said May-July have won this little guessing game.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    With the NBA saying July 31, it would appear the 8 people who said May-July have won this little guessing game.
    Your man Troublemaker was one of the 8 that had those dates. You said he was a genius.

GoDuke!