View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 95 of 100 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 1999
    Duke will have to postpone a few more games due to the other team. It has already been decided that Virginia Tech will not have enough available players for the volleyball matches scheduled next weekend.

As of right now, Haley Gorecki is finally supposed to play her first professional game as her team had cases that postponed their first two games. She talk a little bit about quarantine on the latest Duke Women's Basketball podcast. There have been issues with other teams in Spain as the federation pushed back the entire opening weekend for the second division, including the professional debut for Crystal Primm, who was at Duke for a few seasons.

UEFA made it through qualification for their club competitions, although a few late round games ended up being farcical due to the players that some of the teams were missing. They are also allowing fans in accordance with local guidelines for group stage games and national team games. They are still in better shape than AFC as they had to kick out teams from West Asia who could not field teams for their Champions League games. Again, it is a bit of a surprise how many positive tests can be had without some of these games being postponed.

Watching the Georgia-Auburn game (at Georgia). The said it is 1/5 filled but it looks like a lot more than that as there are a lot of clusters while the upper deck seems less crowded.. And maybe 60% of the crowd at best is wearing masks - frequent shots of kids screaming at the top of their lungs with no mask and lots of people directly in front of them. And they just showed Kirby Smart who is wearing a nice chin strap while he talks to his players.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Watching the Georgia-Auburn game (at Georgia). The said it is 1/5 filled but it looks like a lot more than that as there are a lot of clusters while the upper deck seems less crowded.. And maybe 60% of the crowd at best is wearing masks - frequent shots of kids screaming at the top of their lungs with no mask and lots of people directly in front of them. And they just showed Kirby Smart who is wearing a nice chin strap while he talks to his players.
    Agree with you. But 20% of a 93,000 seat stadium is still a lot of people.

This thread has pretty much run its course I guess, but has anyone learned when Duke football might return?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This thread has pretty much run its course I guess, but has anyone learned when Duke football might return?
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    In gambling—whether in stocks, sports bets, or Covid policy—doubling down is a tempting approach that sometimes works. Doubling down is also accompanied by such phrases as “good money after bad” and “don’t try to catch a falling knife.” And that certainly applies to riding the anti-mask train even now.

As for the topic of this thread, we coulda ended it after we played Notre Dame. Sports returned.

And now we see the fallout of half-pretending that Covid is under control. Huge masses of fans, players, and coaches simply won’t follow protocol, and Covid outbreaks remain routine. SMU kicked out all of its students from the game yesterday, which is noteworthy not because students were disregarding repeated efforts to get them to wear masks and distance (That’s apparently standard in Texas and the southeast) but because SMU had the guts to stick to its rules. To tempt the Fates that say to avoid politics and religion, we see the president of Notre Dame join a variety of politicos who hang inside a room, without masks, potentially infecting each other as well as such non-politicos as the young Barrett children and Mrs. Scalia. It’s all part of the decision to play a contact sport that involves large groups of late adolescent men and other adults who tend to be risk-friendly and dismissive of safety measures.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    As for the topic of this thread, we coulda ended it after we played Notre Dame. Sports returned.
    Well, the title of the thread includes "specifically NCAAB"...so not there yet.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well, the title of the thread includes "specifically NCAAB"...so not there yet.
    An athletic Appalachian State undergrad died last week of neuro complications of Covid. The campus is, understandably, in shock.

On the other hand:

“With her parents planning to visit that weekend, she said, she tried to get a rapid test on campus, only to be told she would have to wait four days. The closest CVS pharmacy offering rapid results was in Tennessee, so she called her family physician, who sent her to a health facility 90 minutes away.

She tested negative, she said, but the experience left her impatient with those who shrug off precautions. A friend texted her on Thursday, saying that he had tested positive, she said, “and then literally, two hours later, a girl in our sorority posted a picture, and he was in the picture!”

Metzger laughed, shaking her head at the scene: “No one is wearing masks. And they’re all over each other.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/29/u...ies-covid.html

And, according to the article, The NY Times survey found 130,000 documented cases on college campuses, which is amazing given that tests are frequently not done, and school has only been open a month or two.

Will basketball be played? probably.

Will basketball be played safely? Not at this rate.

Latest notes from the university

21 — Administrative Action Hearings held (for individuals and groups) recommending interim actions such as suspension of activities, loss of campus privileges, remote learning, etc.
    4 — Campus organizations placed on suspension
    6 — Individual students issued interim suspensions for flagrant violations of COVID policy expectations and the Duke Compact pending an administrative hearing, including for hosting gatherings and failing to follow quarantine and isolation protocols to protect fellow students.
    104 — Sanctions implemented by either Office of Student Conduct or Housing and Residence Life - these actions are part of a student’s conduct record and in some cases reportable to graduate schools, study away programs, and employers
    293 — Students referred for educational interventions for less severe infractions of the Duke Compact - these outcomes are not part of a students’ disciplinary record
    9 — Pending cases under review for potential administrative action involving more flagrant misconduct and persistent non-compliance by individuals.

If that doesn't catch students' attentions, who knows what will. Throw parties? Get a vacation from duke for an unknown amount of time. Being a Duke student is a priviledge, and it seems 6 students found that out the hard way.
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    21 — Administrative Action Hearings held (for individuals and groups) recommending interim actions such as suspension of activities, loss of campus privileges, remote learning, etc.
    4 — Campus organizations placed on suspension
    6 — Individual students issued interim suspensions for flagrant violations of COVID policy expectations and the Duke Compact pending an administrative hearing, including for hosting gatherings and failing to follow quarantine and isolation protocols to protect fellow students.
    104 — Sanctions implemented by either Office of Student Conduct or Housing and Residence Life - these actions are part of a student’s conduct record and in some cases reportable to graduate schools, study away programs, and employers
    293 — Students referred for educational interventions for less severe infractions of the Duke Compact - these outcomes are not part of a students’ disciplinary record
    9 — Pending cases under review for potential administrative action involving more flagrant misconduct and persistent non-compliance by individuals.

If that doesn't catch students' attentions, who knows what will. Throw parties? Get a vacation from duke for an unknown amount of time. Being a Duke student is a priviledge, and it seems 6 students found that out the hard way.
    Guessing those 6 were in someway related to the 4 organizations that were suspended. Wonder what those were. Clubs? Frats/sororities?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Guessing those 6 were in someway related to the 4 organizations that were suspended. Wonder what those were. Clubs? Frats/sororities?
    no idea. Though I do wonder if they'll try to invoke the "right to party" defense at their hearing...
    April 1

no idea. Though I do wonder if they'll try to invoke the "right to party" defense at their hearing...
    You gotta fight for that right.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You gotta fight for that right.
    I literally have the Beasties on in the background as I'm reading this, ha!

I literally have the Beasties on in the background as I'm reading this, ha!
    I guess "Licensed to Ill" has a different meaning in this context . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I guess "Licensed to Ill" has a different meaning in this context . . . .
    I think these kids might have Sabotaged their futures.

Saban tests positive

Wisconsin cancels its football game against Nebraska after 12 Bucky Badgers (six players, six staff including the HC) test positive.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...covid-19-cases
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Will the World Series turn out to be a Super Spreader event?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/...i15vql8i6lsuf4

Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence tests positive
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence tests positive
    It will be very interesting to see if he is permitted to play vs. Notre Dame in a huge game next weekend. It sounds like there is a ten day quarantine period and the timing would be very close. I'm assuming that even if he could play, he could not practice in the days leading up to the game.

As I understand it, Clemson is fortunate that if they lose to Notre Dame, they likely could play ND again in the ACC Championship game. So if they lose without Lawrence then win with him, they will likely get a mulligan in terms of the playoffs.

This is how I have read this. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.