View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 99 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100 LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 1999
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Over the summer, much of the country decided it was fine to normalize and creep along next to the volcano. This was most obvious in regards to southern/Texan football, where stadiums were half full of yahoos not wearing face masks, where even Notre Dame fans rushed the field after a game (tho it shouldn’t be forgotten that their own college president got COVID after attending a public party without a mask, which is simply shameful—I’m amazed he’s still employed).

In much of the country, for much of the past 9 months, it’s been acceptable to jam together in public spaces, to get drunk in crowds, to fly over the Thanksgiving holiday (!!!), to get in each others’ faces and shout freedom (I’m looking at you, Dems and Republicans, antifa, BLM, and supremacists), but i still think the decision to play football was the single most obvious symbol of a damaged American priority. Sure, most people were careful, and Duke itself has been especially competent, but it’s a bit like a vaccine: a little more than half doesn’t cut it, and now the entire country is paying the price.

We made choices, and many of those choices seemed to prioritize amusements over core businesses, health, and the education of children.

Further, while we Americans like to see ourselves as world leaders, we’ve done very little from a policy standpoint to help the rest of the world. Yep, Big Pharma has created vaccines, and Big Medicine is doing what it can, but the football decision, to my mind, is the most public aspect of a simply catastrophic public response to the virus.

The possibility of a full basketball season went out the window in July, when we agreed to play football and try to fake our way through a pandemic. Worse, of course, is the reality that many of us won’t be around to watch the 2022 season.
    AMEN!!

and we're off!

the first games are officially underway, so congratulatinos to:

Bob Green, BuschDevil, chris13, DavidBenAkiva, Gargoyle, gep, Green Wave Dukie, jimsumner, jipops, kako, Kedsy, Namtilal, Oh no, not Petway!, ragamuffin, Shakyjake, Waynne, weksray

Who picked november->january!
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

Bob Green, BuschDevil, chris13, DavidBenAkiva, Gargoyle, gep, Green Wave Dukie, jimsumner, jipops, kako, Kedsy, Namtilal, Oh no, not Petway!, ragamuffin, Shakyjake, Waynne, weksray

Two sets of winners though because some were answering the actual poll question listed up top. The 8 folks who voted May-July of 2020 are also winners.

Because of the confusion on what the question actually was, we ended up with an interesting bifurcated poll.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Two sets of winners though because some were answering the actual poll question listed up top. The 8 folks who voted May-July of 2020 are also winners.

Because of the confusion on what the question actually was, we ended up with an interesting bifurcated poll.
    I think some votes should count and other should not.

If I missed an earlier post with this information, I apologize. ESPN is reporting that Nick Saban has tested positive and has mild symptoms. I seem to recall that he had a false positive test earlier this year.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...id-19-symptoms

Isn't the normal beginning of the season November? (Unless some games start in October? Maybe exhibition in the past...). So, it's really no different unless somehow college basketball started EARLY which was never going to happen. I recognize somebody already said this above with NBA starting in July. I think that's the "correct" answer although it could have been open to interpretation depending on what somebody wanted to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I think some votes should count and other should not.
    I'm suspicious of the "Fall" dump. It was 41 consecutive votes for Fall and 0 for anyone else. If it were up to me, I'd disqualify those votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Isn't the normal beginning of the season November? (Unless some games start in October? Maybe exhibition in the past...). So, it's really no different unless somehow college basketball started EARLY which was never going to happen. I recognize somebody already said this above with NBA starting in July. I think that's the "correct" answer although it could have been open to interpretation depending on what somebody wanted to answer.
    yeah, the title of the thread has changed a couple times, so I'm pretty sure I was voting on sports in general at the time. I also think soccer started up before that, following Europe...and i believe european soccer leagues were the first thing to start up.

We'll give consolation points to anyone who voted any of the options may->january.
    1200. DDMF.

yeah, the title of the thread has changed a couple times, so I'm pretty sure I was voting on sports in general at the time. I also think soccer started up before that, following Europe...and i believe european soccer leagues were the first thing to start up.

We'll give consolation points to anyone who voted any of the options may->january.
    I don't know why I even care, but the title of the poll is "When will major pro or college sports resume in America?" So the winner (of which I was not one) is anyone who said May-July because I believe baseball started in July. The question wasn't with regard to college basketball only. Do you think anyone would have voted that college basketball would resume in May-July unless for some odd reason they thought they would be continuing last season? That would not have been a rational guess yet many highly rational people made that vote.

Now back to things that matter. Saban is out for the Auburn game with covid, and tomorrow night's Ravens-Steelers game was pushed back to Sunday due to positive tests.

Miami-WFU game for next week postponed

https://theacc.com/news/2020/11/28/m...postponed.aspx

The ACC season limping to a conclusion. Hopefully the last one to leave the room will turn off the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Miami-WFU game for next week postponed

https://theacc.com/news/2020/11/28/m...postponed.aspx

The ACC season limping to a conclusion. Hopefully the last one to leave the room will turn off the lights.
    Our season would have been nominally beter if the NCAA had accepted my August suggestion: put independent investigators in charge of team covid testing, and if your team is unable to play on a designated Saturday, it's an official forfeit/loss.

No additional Juarez tattoo for OPK: 2020 Sun Bowl cancelled.

https://www.ktsm.com/sports/sun-bowl...celed-in-2020/
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    No additional Juarez tattoo for OPK: 2020 Sun Bowl cancelled.

https://www.ktsm.com/sports/sun-bowl...celed-in-2020/
    Good news. The inflamation has finally gone down from the last one in 2014.

(Seriously, that is a fun bowl trip -- would love to do it again!)

This may not be the best place for this, but it's the one I know where it fits.

Per the DBR Front Page, Duke will not be playing Elon this Sunday due to a positive COVID test within the Elon program.

This may not be the best place for this, but it's the one I know where it fits.

Per the DBR Front Page, Duke will not be playing Elon this Sunday due to a positive COVID test within the Elon program.
    What are the odds Duke can find a replacement game in the next day or two?

They need the reps....

Any chance one of the local teams is available? The Globetrotters? Washington Generals?

A recent update on the wisdom of fall sports, 2020:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/02/s...=home-featured

Gonzaga/Baylor bites the dust.

Gonzaga/Baylor bites the dust.
    On the espn D1 scores site I counted 24 games canceled or postponed, including Gonzaga/Baylor and the Illinois game. Does that mean anything for our game?

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    On the espn D1 scores site I counted 24 games canceled or postponed, including Gonzaga/Baylor and the Illinois game. Does that mean anything for our game?
    Depends on whether the positive was from Illinois or UT-Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Depends on whether the positive was from Illinois or UT-Martin.
    Someone from UT-Martin tested positive.

No. 5 Illinois (3-1) will next play at No. 6 Duke (1-1) at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday. The team canceled practice on Friday and will hold a lift and a practice on Saturday before starting preparation for Duke on Monday and Sunday.