View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Thanks for clarifying, Scorp.

Anyway, there is a massive undercount of Covid-19 deaths. The true number of those who have died from this disease is way higher than the official numbers would indicate.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...count.amp.html
    Dont you bellieve the doctors?

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Dont you bellieve the doctors?
    Did you read the article he linked? For example, there was a huge spike in people found dead in their homes in NYC over the last week or so. Few if any of those people were tested for it, but at least some (but likely many) of them were almost definitely caused by the pandemic.

well...we can pack up this vigil now...

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/...ida-mayor-says

-wwe-deemed-essential-business-florida-mayor-says
    1200. DDMF.

I voted for winter... Nov - Jan. I don't think sports starts to happen, even without fans, until sufficient testing and contact tracing and testing can be implemented... whatever that means.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Don't disagree, but I expect the ACC athletic programs are already talking about how they launch fall sports, especially football. I expect Duke will be very influential because of our medical experts. I expect that, if we have school in the fall, we will have sports -- although attendance may be limited.

Just an opinion.
    I read somewhere that until colleges open back up to students, that only student-athletes in school doesn't make sense. So if colleges don't open, no college sports. I think the first semester of the 2020-2021 year is gone...

Quote Originally Posted by quahog174 View Post
    Eventually I envision a world where we have microchips embedded in our wrists like dogs that contain our complete medical history. Gate attendants will scan us and those without vaccinations will be denied entry, including employees. They will also check our forehead temperatures upon entry. Once inside, arenas and stadiums will employ infrared scanners to identify and remove those fans with unusually high temps that may pose a threat. Hand sanitizer will be abundant and food will be prepared and delivered without human contact. We will need to sacrifice some privacy but we will adapt.
    Well... the maximum invasion of privacy as some would say, is full contact tracing... electronically with cell phones, etc, like what China has implemented with green,yellow,red status... not to mention HIPAA. I can't imagine the US public will go for that, not to mention the ACLU... so in addition to how much risk the public is ready for, the question may also come down to how much no-privacy the public is ready for.

As far as basketball goes, they could probably start in November if they put their minds to it. Antibody test the players, coaches, and refs. Admit nobody except these people and the scorers. The scorers have the whole stadium in which to socially distance themselves. Cameramen, but no sportswriters, would be allowed. Bilas would not be allowed, even if antibody positive. ;-)

All people who are to be admitted take their body temps twice daily and monitor symptoms throughout the season, and do not get to play if they are symptomatic or febrile.

After that, there is nothing left to do but have the ref toss up the ball and let em play!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    As far as basketball goes, they could probably start in November if they put their minds to it. Antibody test the players, coaches, and refs. Admit nobody except these people and the scorers. The scorers have the whole stadium in which to socially distance themselves. Cameramen, but no sportswriters, would be allowed. Bilas would not be allowed, even if antibody positive. ;-)

All people who are to be admitted take their body temps twice daily and monitor symptoms throughout the season, and do not get to play if they are symptomatic or febrile.

After that, there is nothing left to do but have the ref toss up the ball and let em play!
    Are you implying that they'll start basketball without students attending classes? If so, I really can't see that happening..or was this tongue in the old cheek?

data

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Testing, testing, testing. That's the first and most important thing that needs to happen. We don't even know what we're fighting against. I've had multiple friends tell me about severe illness - bronchitis, pneumonia, etc - that required hospitalization in the last couple months. Hospitals did the available tests on them for flu, pneumonia, etc. Once a test came back positive, they stopped testing and treated the "common" illness. They didn't even get a COVID-19 test. Here in New York City, where I live, the rate of people being found dead at home, alone, is way above the normal rate. Those poor souls will never be tested. We just don't know the extent of this yet and won't for some time....
    From what I've read and studied, this is inaccurate. An overwhelming body of evidence suggests if a person dies of anything in NY right now and COVID can be found on the body, they are considered a COVID death...That has been all over the news the past few days and was confirmed by the state of NY. 2) please source this "dead at home" claim.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    That's unfortunately where my mind has been lately... and while I can go into more detail in the off-topic thread on the science, that 12-18 month estimate that people are talking about for the vaccine is VERY optimistic. So I would put my hopes on option B there.
    Also, when a vaccine becomes available, it's not like everyone will be able to get it on day one. Let's say we can vaccinate 1,000,000 per day, that would still take almost a full year before everyone is vaccinated. No one is really talking about this. People keep throwing out the 18 month number for vaccine availability, but if it is available in large amounts, people still have to line up to get it. I suppose we could use some sort of system like they do during a national election in which vaccinations are offered all over the place and people are willing to wait in line all day but that would assume a very large quantity of doses available.

Most of the votes in the poll are for, basically, 2020 football season or sooner, but this seems unrealistic to me. That looks like a recipe for getting five games in and then having to scuttle the whole season when the [probably larger] fall outbreak shifts from park to first to second gear.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Are you implying that they'll start basketball without students attending classes? If so, I really can't see that happening..or was this tongue in the old cheek?
    Hey, my eldest son is a college graduate and my youngest son does all his college stuff on line. I don't care a whit about classes. I care about BASKETBALL!!! ;-)
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

This thread is for discussing sports in our viral world. General C-19 discussions are here.

-jk

Chris Fowler talked a bit about this today, and said a spring football season, starting in Feb, is "gaining momentum". He says he's been told the window to get a regular fall opening to campuses would close by late May (he dismisses the thought of starting sports with campuses still closed), which is obviously pretty soon given how much uncertainty still exists about COVID. He acknowledges this is "informed speculation",

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/04/co...-scenario.html

I'm sure Big Ten football games would be just delightful in February.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Chris Fowler talked a bit about this today, and said a spring football season, starting in Feb, is "gaining momentum". He says he's been told the window to get a regular fall opening to campuses would close by late May (he dismisses the thought of starting sports with campuses still closed), which is obviously pretty soon given how much uncertainty still exists about COVID. He acknowledges this is "informed speculation",

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/04/co...-scenario.html

I'm sure Big Ten football games would be just delightful in February.
    I love watching snowy football...it would make great TV. Wouldn't want to be at the game myself though (player/coach or fan).

Well

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I love watching snowy football...it would make great TV. Wouldn't want to be at the game myself though (player/coach or fan).
    Th weather will aid the social distancing!

Since jk said this is more for the impact on sports I won't post the video here. But just watched a video of a doctor who said they were finding very interesting results of people showing antibodies after being sick as far back as December. I think they could have contracted it later and simply never shown symptoms. That's important, but when it was contracted doesn't matter to the overall numbers. He believes they may find potentially millions already with the antibodies and that would impact the mortality rate. While it's possible some death's due to the virus are being under reported as Steven linked to, I think as Kfanarmy pointed out some are being misreported as well. At the very least they may balance each other out? A difference of a thousand deaths, ten thousand even wouldn't affect the rate as much as finding millions already infected and recovered.

Again the important thing is the number of people who may already have the antibodies (if that turns out to be true) combined with the resulting declining mortality rate (just the rate lowering from more precise numbers, not a change in the virus's leathality) that would result would allow sports to start much sooner. Now we can argue about if it should even if that is true. We can argue about how it should be handled, perhaps with no spectators, things like that. But let's face it, there is so much money to be made in sports I imagine they will latch onto any reason to restart. Just considering the numbers.

The PGA has announced its schedule starting in mid-June. The golf part of it seems doable, but the traveling between cities is not going to be easy, even if things open up a fair amount. One would assume that they got some buy-in from players on this because if they schedule the tournaments and no one decides to show up, that is a big problem.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...hwab-challenge

I'm not sure why you can't have PGA golf or tennis. You don't need fans there and easy to test participants. The golf courses in my city are full every day. A choice between nba horse on TV and a PGA tournament after being at home for 5 weeks?

Ratings would be through the roof. Same with tennis.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    I'm not sure why you can't have PGA golf or tennis. You don't need fans there and easy to test participants. The golf courses in my city are full every day. A choice between nba horse on TV and a PGA tournament after being at home for 5 weeks?

Ratings would be through the roof. Same with tennis.
    I would watch. 🤣😎

MLS has pushed their re-open date to at least June 8. For now.

Competitive fairness

One thing that I think the leagues need to consider even if there is a way to ramp up testing to the point that athletes can be tested every day is what happens when one player tests positive and then the whole team has to be quarantined? Even if the pie in the sky ideas of self-quarantined leagues are feasible, it is inevitable that with thousands of people involved from the players to the coaches to the staff, etc, that someone, somewhere will get sick. As of right now, the medical and scientific communities don't know how long it takes for a person to go from exposure to the virus to becoming sick or where in that process the person also becomes contagious. To avoid infecting the whole league, basically the entire team would suddenly be quarantined.

The ramifications of that are huge. Imagine if the NBA got its wish to play the playoffs in Vegas using the hotels to quarantine the players, staff, and families. But now imagine that Lebron tests positive and has to sit out for two weeks and the rest of the Lakers are forced to sit out until they test negative for the virus for x number of days in a row. Either the schedules would have to be incredibly flexible (which would require a longer period of isolation for everyone involved in the event) or the league would keep playing games and risk that the biggest match-ups of the season could happen without the biggest stars.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?