View Poll Results: When will major pro or college sports resume in America?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Summer: May - July

8 8.99%
  • Fall: August - October

41 46.07%
  • Winter: November - January

17 19.10%
  • First half of 2021: Feb - June

14 15.73%
  • Second half of 2021: July - Dec

7 7.87%
  • 2022 or beyond

2 2.25%
Page 31 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    The folks that frequent DBR will probably watch any sport in which a Duke student-athlete is participating.

However, how do we think the pandemic is affecting the casual fan. Even if college football returns or college basketball...has the casual fan already found other activities to fill their time?

The reason I ask is that I am a casual NBA fan. In the past I would tune into the playoffs. I know that the NBA is starting up soon but I have already moved on to other things and probably won't watch any of the NBA games.

Just curious.
    I don't really think so. A lot of people are still waiting to do stuff, and there are plenty of things (concerts, for example) that are still a no-go. If anything I would expect the appetite from casual fans to increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I suspect this is why they haven't called players in yet. Better to not be the canary in the coal mine. Watch and see what happens with others before putting anyone at risk.
    at worst, the optics are bad.

Case in point: articles about alabama, UNC, etc. about case counts. As you say, let someone else take that hit.
    April 1

It seems like it will require a high profile death in order to pull the plug...gotta think it's inevitable, at least with the current case counts.

The folks that frequent DBR will probably watch any sport in which a Duke student-athlete is participating.

However, how do we think the pandemic is affecting the casual fan. Even if college football returns or college basketball...has the casual fan already found other activities to fill their time?

The reason I ask is that I am a casual NBA fan. In the past I would tune into the playoffs. I know that the NBA is starting up soon but I have already moved on to other things and probably won't watch any of the NBA games.

Just curious.
    Maybe. For my part, the first couple of weeks without sports was really hard for me, but now I am getting used to it. I have begun to read a lot more. I am starting to rethink my priorities, at least a little.
    Don't get me wrong, if there is a college basketball season this year I will watch every Duke game and probably too many games of other teams that I don't even really care about.
    But for now I feel like I've really made a shift in my thinking.

Masks will be required for sideline personnel, but not players or coaches
    Posted by Michael David Smith on July 9, 2020, 12:58 PM EDT

The NFL will make some personnel wear masks on the sidelines this season, but not players or coaches.

Everyone on the bench during games except players and coaches (which would include team employees like trainers or equipment managers) will have to wear a mask, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

People with bench access will also have a pre-game temperature check and have to come in below 100.4 degrees in order to get bench access. They’ll also have to confirm they haven’t been in contact with anyone who has COVID-19.

Per article linked on the DBR homepage, no ACC sports until at least September 1st. *sigh*
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Sept 1 and then...

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Per article linked on the DBR homepage, no ACC sports until at least September 1st. *sigh*
    Dear Tripping William, And isn't it realistic to think that this Sept 1 date was just a hold marker, versus a final decision. The announcement pretty much indicated that. The way things are going, I will be happily surprised if ACC sports begin after Sept 1. And I will be happy only if it seems safe to do so. The fact that many young people with COVID are contracting respiratory problems is scary to me.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Dear Tripping William, And isn't it realistic to think that this Sept 1 date was just a hold marker, versus a final decision. The announcement pretty much indicated that. The way things are going, I will be happily surprised if ACC sports begin after Sept 1. And I will be happy only if it seems safe to do so. The fact that many young people with COVID are contracting respiratory problems is scary to me.
    Yes, hence the "at least." And because ACC football games don't start until September 2nd (on the current schedule), it's a very interestingly timed date. I view this as a placeholder.

Now Big 10+4 saying that their most likely outcome is a conference-only fall sports schedule, per the Worldwide Leader notification on my smartphone. The story is by Heather Dinich and Mark Schlabach.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Now Big 10+4 saying that their most likely outcome is a conference-only fall sports schedule, per the Worldwide Leader notification on my smartphone. The story is by Heather Dinich and Mark Schlabach.
    I don't get the logic behind that. I get that they want to make money, but Wisconsin not beating up Podunk U doesn't ensure that nobody spreads COVID during a game against Northwestern.

I guess it's a way they ensure not to waste a few million.
    Ohio State was set to pay $1.2 million to Bowling Green for its Sept. 5 season opener and $1.8 million to Buffalo for a Sept. 19 game
    https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...dule-this-fall

Sucks for BG, Buffalo, and any other team that was gonna get paid to lose.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't get the logic behind that. I get that they want to make money, but Wisconsin not beating up Podunk U doesn't ensure that nobody spreads COVID during a game against Northwestern.

I suppose the logic is "buys more time to figure it out and presents fewer opportunities to spread."

And BYU, who is (was?) supposed to host Sparty in Provo, and travel to Minny, both of which might be winnable for them. Actually, BYU -- as an Independent but without P5 ties like Notre Dame -- may have its fate determined for it if other conferences follow the lead of the Big Can't-Count.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    And BYU, who is (was?) supposed to host Sparty in Provo, and travel to Minny, both of which might be winnable for them. Actually, BYU -- as an Independent but without P5 ties like Notre Dame -- may have its fate determined for it if other conferences follow the lead of the Big Can't-Count.
    Toss ND into that mix. They are scheduled against Wisconsin. They only play 6 ACC games. Their AD isn't optimistic about the season starting on time. Likely his hope is that the season is played, just later. Good luck with that, buddy.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-season-starts
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Syracuse's games 6-11:

@ Clemson
    host GT
    @ Wake
    host NC State
    host FSU

With New York's quarantine rules, three of those teams could not go to Syracuse. And if Syracuse went to the away games, they would have to quarantine upon return to NY.

So, one team in the ACC is effectively barred from playing more than half of their conference games.

Folks, it just ain't gonna happen this fall. Abandon all hope, ye who enter here.

Brett McMurphy says the ACC is also going to conference only football games. How long before this too is abandoned? Moving football to the Spring is looking more and more likely to me.

From what little I've read, the logic is that by playing Big 10 teams only, they can manage current conditions quickly, make adjustments, all within the conference...https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ll-sports-fall

I think it's all going down the tubes anyway, this is just an organizational death rattle.

Just curious.
    I also believe fewer fans will watch college and pro sports on tv; when they reappear. As mentioned throughout this thread, I also think the impact to minor collegiate sports will be devastating. A lost year of Football for FBS schools would prob result in thousands of lost NCAA sports scholarships. Football will come back, but think most/all schools cut back on # of sports they’re willing to subsidize.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I also believe fewer fans will watch college and pro sports on tv; when they reappear. As mentioned throughout this thread, I also think the impact to minor collegiate sports will be devastating. A lost year of Football for FBS schools would prob result in thousands of lost NCAA sports scholarships. Football will come back, but think most/all schools cut back on # of sports they’re willing to subsidize.
    Brace yourselves for a tsunami of donation requests from your alma mater, whoever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Brett McMurphy says the ACC is also going to conference only football games. How long before this too is abandoned? Moving football to the Spring is looking more and more likely to me.
    Dominoes.

It’s official:

Big Ten Will Play Fall Sports Only Within Conference, if at All

The league’s football teams had been scheduled to participate in some of the most highly anticipated nonconference games of the 2020 season.

By Gillian R. Brassil and Alan Blinder
    July 9, 2020, 5:21 p.m. ET

The Big Ten Conference’s fall sports will play only within the league, a decision that will affect football, men’s and women’s cross country, field hockey, men’s and women’s soccer, and women’s volleyball — assuming public health officials advise playing at all amid the coronavirus pandemic.

In an interview on Thursday, Kevin Warren, the Big Ten commissioner, said the decision would give the league the greatest flexibility and allow it to “make quick decisions in real time based on the most current medical advice.”

But Warren, who became commissioner in January, stopped short of promising that even the conference’s latest plan would be permanent and emphasized that he and other officials were “leaning on our medical experts.”

“We’re in a perpetual state of fluidity right now in dealing with all of these issues,” Warren said. “We’re taking it one step at a time, and we’re also prepared not to play the season if circumstances dictate.”