Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Have we referenced the "upset thread?"

"I'm not Going to Jinx It" thread, where alerts to potential upsets are mysteries to avoid mentioning the game explicitly. It's an amazing thread, although I usually don't know what the references are.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...t=upset+thread
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yea, I've searched on several occasions and *think* I've found several Duke vs Kentucky threads but, if -jk or Devil84, each of whom have far, far, far better search skills than what I'm equipped with, desire/can perform a mega-merge, then we might all be happier folks discussing 'cue on DBR...
    This. It’s the combined thread we need in these dark times.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I got nuthin', other than that it's true; Greivis was a jerk.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I got nuthin', other than that it's true; Greivis was a jerk.
    "Nuestra Casa"
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

The Best Threads Ever are probably part of Nolan Smith's wardrobe.

ndotspiffy.jpg

Seriously though, while I thought the OP's thread choices were a bit random, I did like seeing posts there from the late Olympic Fan and Cavlaw.

One project on my permanent back burner is a reference guide to Olympic Fan's posts on DBR. A topic will come up on occasion, and my first thought will be, "We've discussed this before, and Olympic Fan had a very strong opinion or perspective." Like his version of how Coach K was hired, or Sandy Koufax, or whatever.

Maybe this could be a shared project now that a bunch of people on DBR have free time on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    The Best Threads Ever are probably part of Nolan Smith's wardrobe.

ndotspiffy.jpg

Seriously though, while I thought the OP's thread choices were a bit random, I did like seeing posts there from the late Olympic Fan and Cavlaw.

One project on my permanent back burner is a reference guide to Olympic Fan's posts on DBR. A topic will come up on occasion, and my first thought will be, "We've discussed this before, and Olympic Fan had a very strong opinion or perspective." Like his version of how Coach K was hired, or Sandy Koufax, or whatever.

Maybe this could be a shared project now that a bunch of people on DBR have free time on their hands.
    I remember making an off-hand comment about Woodrow Wilson, and Oly jumped on me with both feet. And DBR has never been the same.

Cavlaw was a great poster with great insight and a quick wit.

Miss them both.

One more: The 2014 Nike Hoops Summit thread (https://forums.dukebasketballreport...mit-Game/page3). And that’s because it contains by far my best post ever (that’s not saying much, but still).

OK, so I'm back from the game and dinner and the kids are in bed, so I'll add to the discussion what I can. Since I was in the 10th row halfway between the basket and the end line, I had a really good vantage point. So these are my initial thoughts...

Justise: It's just one game, but man was he impressive. He battled down low, finished around the rim, and of course hit the three before halftime. But more than that, he showed he could handle the ball (I think he brought it up on one possession), and made some great passes that should have resulted in several more assists. And on one play where Tyus went down hard, he ran across the court to be the first one to help him up. Given his defense, athleticism, ability to drive, and passing and dribbling skills, I really see him getting big minutes next year.

Jahlil: I think he's going to be great. First, he got stronger as the game went on (perhaps some of that was wearing down Towns and the subsequent foul trouble that went along with it). Second, he has great footwork and can get very quickly to the basket where he has a nice touch on his shot. Third, he's physically very mature and doesn't get pushed around. Fourth, he appears to have good hands and showed that he could play the inside-outside game with Tyus. Fifth, he plays really hard with a lot of intensity on both ends of the floor; for instance, when he got whistled for a BS call in the first half he yelled in frustration. In summary, I think he 's the real deal.

Tyus: I came away with similar views to the ones expressed on this thread. There's something about him that just instills confidence in his teammates when he has the ball. He spent the first 85 percent of the game patiently getting everyone involved (though I wish we could have seen more work with Myles). His quickness wasn't really evident though he did play good D. And then, with 5 minutes to go, BAM! He just took over, effortlessly blowing past people and finishing. I say he starts next year. He has a calmness and a leadership capability that we missed from our guards this season. Tyus just might be the key...

Myles: Would be great to get him, but I didn't see him as dominant as I expected him to be. He really does look more comfortable at the 4 (good news for us), and did show some range. Hopefully the injury, which looked from my vantage point to be an ankle sprain, isn't serious.

Other: Cliff Alexander is a man-child... someone behind me asked, rather incredulously, if he was really still in high school... I give him the Greg Oden Award as a result. Oubre was also impressive... kind of scary to think of these guys with Myles at Kansas, so I for one hope it doesn't happen. Theo Pinson appeared lightning quick in flashes. Stanley Johnson also looks to have star potential. For the World Team, to which I was paying less attention, Mudiay really stood out as a freak athlete who can light it up... keep an eye on him and SMU next year.

Of note: It was pretty cool to see so many Blazers scattered throughout the front rows, including Damian Lillard, Nicolas Batum, Wesley Matthews and Dorell Wright.

Warmups: It was hard to see much that stood out. The drills were pretty standard.

In conclusion: I'm really excited about our Big 3 (not to mention Grayson). They seem like good kids who are super-talented and who play hard and enjoy being around one other. I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Maybe this thread- greybeard was a fan
    I frequently miss reading greybeard's comments about post moves and injury recovery from a Feldenkrais perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Seriously though, while I thought the OP's thread choices were a bit random, I did like seeing posts there from the late Olympic Fan and Cavlaw
    My first thought of meaningful threads was the one initiated by cavlaw's wife, hamster, letting the community know about our untimely loss.

For a more light-hearted choice, I might nominate the Walton Belt threads, which can be traced back to an in-game comment by Bill Walton, noted by Olympic Fan. In this year's thread iteration, mkirsh aptly states:
    This is such an unbelievably dumb concept. It is my favorite recurring thread on DBR.

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    One more: The 2014 Nike Hoops Summit thread (https://forums.dukebasketballreport...mit-Game/page3). And that’s because it contains by far my best post ever (that’s not saying much, but still).

OK, so I'm back from the game and dinner and the kids are in bed, so I'll add to the discussion what I can. Since I was in the 10th row halfway between the basket and the end line, I had a really good vantage point. So these are my initial thoughts...

Justise: It's just one game, but man was he impressive. He battled down low, finished around the rim, and of course hit the three before halftime. But more than that, he showed he could handle the ball (I think he brought it up on one possession), and made some great passes that should have resulted in several more assists. And on one play where Tyus went down hard, he ran across the court to be the first one to help him up. Given his defense, athleticism, ability to drive, and passing and dribbling skills, I really see him getting big minutes next year.

Jahlil: I think he's going to be great. First, he got stronger as the game went on (perhaps some of that was wearing down Towns and the subsequent foul trouble that went along with it). Second, he has great footwork and can get very quickly to the basket where he has a nice touch on his shot. Third, he's physically very mature and doesn't get pushed around. Fourth, he appears to have good hands and showed that he could play the inside-outside game with Tyus. Fifth, he plays really hard with a lot of intensity on both ends of the floor; for instance, when he got whistled for a BS call in the first half he yelled in frustration. In summary, I think he 's the real deal.

Tyus: I came away with similar views to the ones expressed on this thread. There's something about him that just instills confidence in his teammates when he has the ball. He spent the first 85 percent of the game patiently getting everyone involved (though I wish we could have seen more work with Myles). His quickness wasn't really evident though he did play good D. And then, with 5 minutes to go, BAM! He just took over, effortlessly blowing past people and finishing. I say he starts next year. He has a calmness and a leadership capability that we missed from our guards this season. Tyus just might be the key...

Myles: Would be great to get him, but I didn't see him as dominant as I expected him to be. He really does look more comfortable at the 4 (good news for us), and did show some range. Hopefully the injury, which looked from my vantage point to be an ankle sprain, isn't serious.

Other: Cliff Alexander is a man-child... someone behind me asked, rather incredulously, if he was really still in high school... I give him the Greg Oden Award as a result. Oubre was also impressive... kind of scary to think of these guys with Myles at Kansas, so I for one hope it doesn't happen. Theo Pinson appeared lightning quick in flashes. Stanley Johnson also looks to have star potential. For the World Team, to which I was paying less attention, Mudiay really stood out as a freak athlete who can light it up... keep an eye on him and SMU next year.

Of note: It was pretty cool to see so many Blazers scattered throughout the front rows, including Damian Lillard, Nicolas Batum, Wesley Matthews and Dorell Wright.

Warmups: It was hard to see much that stood out. The drills were pretty standard.

In conclusion: I'm really excited about our Big 3 (not to mention Grayson). They seem like good kids who are super-talented and who play hard and enjoy being around one other. I can't wait!
    In that thread I had these nuggets

Jones taking over late. Hmmm. Seems to like crunch time.

Yes he did- yes he did

And this

You are right that these kids are not finished products. D will remain a big concern for Duke. Jones like Cook is not big so he will struggle to handle certain guards. Winslow has the potential to be a great defender - and as such will need to play a lot. He can guard multiple positions. His O is streaky- but he is an athlete's athlete. Okafor is big and strong. He has great feet and if he gets the ball- he is hard to stop. But he is not explosive. If he develops a face up game - he will be very good. But he has much work ahead of him to be NBA ready. He will need good mentoring and guidance.
    Last edited by dukelifer; 04-09-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    In that thread I had these nuggets

Jones taking over late. Hmmm. Seems to like crunch time.

Yes he did- yes he did

And this

You are right that these kids are not finished products. D will remain a big concern for Duke. Jones like Cook is not big so he will struggle to handle certain guards. Winslow has the potential to be a great defender - and as such will need to play a lot. He can guard multiple positions. His O is streaky- but he is an athlete's athlete. Okafor is big and strong. He has great feet and if he gets the ball- he is hard to stop. But he is not explosive. If he develops a face up game - he will be very good. But he has much work ahead of him to be NBA ready. He will need good mentoring and guidance.
    Ha! Remember thinking the same thing on Winslow - even going as far as to say the Heat absolutely made the right move by not accepting four 1st round picks for him.

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post
    I frequently miss reading greybeard's comments about post moves and injury recovery from a Feldenkrais perspective.

My first thought of meaningful threads was the one initiated by cavlaw's wife, hamster, letting the community know about our untimely loss.

For a more light-hearted choice, I might nominate the Walton Belt threads, which can be traced back to an in-game comment by Bill Walton, noted by Olympic Fan. In this year's thread iteration, mkirsh aptly states:
    Very sobering to read about Cavlaw... seemed like a very genuine and positive guy in reading through some of his threads.
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...lest-Wife-Ever
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...-Basketball-09
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...s-From-UNC-Law
    https://forums.dukebasketballreport...008-Mario-Kart

Love the Walton Belt concept - I know he is somewhat controversial in the CBB community but I think he adds a lot levity to the game (which we could certainly use right now)

looking at predictions

We just had a thread where we pretended to have DBR in 1991- looking forward to the 1991 tourney when Duke won its first championship. We pretended not to know the future but made predictions because we already knew them- a little shelter-at-home entertainment- even getting some of us to rewatch the games from almost 30 years ago. That said- it would be interesting to look through some of the predictions of players based on our impressions from the McDonald's games and the Blue and White Scrimmage - to see who was right and who was very wrong. Yes- I am looking for sports entertainment wherever I can find it these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobfootball6 View Post
    Ha! Remember thinking the same thing on Winslow - even going as far as to say the Heat absolutely made the right move by not accepting four 1st round picks for him.
    In retrospect did the Heat, in your opinion, make the right move in not accepting those draft picks for Winslow? And who was it that offered those four 1st-round picks for him?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    In retrospect did the Heat, in your opinion, make the right move in not accepting those draft picks for Winslow? And who was it that offered those four 1st-round picks for him?
    I believe the Heat should have taken those picks - Winslow has been a solid role player but has not come close to returning the value four first round picks the Celtics offered for him (additional fun fact - Jordan's hornets also turned down the same offer to take Frank Kaminsky)

(additional fun fact - Jordan's hornets also turned down the same offer to take Frank Kaminsky)
    Ugh, thanks for reminding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Celtics, apparently

https://clutchpoints.com/celtics-new...-winslow-2015/

No mention of “It’s Over?”

The 2015 Optimist Thread was also a gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    No mention of “It’s Over?”

The 2015 Optimist Thread was also a gem.
    Do you have links to those? Thanks!

Do you have links to those? Thanks!
    Here is one

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...light=Optimist