Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    No mention of “It’s Over?”

The 2015 Optimist Thread was also a gem.
    Hey, that's me!

*Bows*

I'd like the thank the academy.

Seriously though, it was a heartfelt post that I felt needed to happen. This board has become increasingly knee-jerk in the last several years, and I understand some of the underlying reasons for it, but I still don't like seeing our guys get trashed after a loss. I wanted to buoy support for a really good team, and I wanted a safe space away from the negativity.

Getting to say "I told you so" was a really nice bonus!

I think the best threads at the ones I get sporks from.

The rest of the threads are just filler.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

There was a thread where posters explained their user names that I thought was interesting. I’m bad at thread search or I would link it.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    There was a thread where posters explained their user names that I thought was interesting. I’m bad at thread search or I would link it.
    I happen to have started the Patrick Davidson thread back in the old forum (Sagarmatha, et al.). My screen name was "Blue Grouse" at the time. That was a classic set of flights of fancy dedicated a walk-on who started a home game against Chris Paul and Wake Forest. Thread is lost but where someone actually copied and saved all the messages. The game in question was February 20, 2005, and the thread came shortly afterwards.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Definitely the "It's Over" thread from after the home loss against Maryland in 2001 when Boozer broke his foot is a gem.

I think my favorites, though, were "Bush Mispronounces Battier" (from the off-topic board) and the thread where Klemnop made his reappearance this year after Clemson finally won in Chapel Hill.

Plus, Kedsy's institution of the regular "Tracking Duke's Defense" thread after each game has inspired everyone around here to up their analytics game.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Ask and ye shall recieve:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?42799-What-is-the-meaning-of-your-DBR-username

Bush Mispronounces Battier.

Amiright?

ETA: Nugget beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I think the best threads at the ones I get sporks from.

The rest of the threads are just filler.
    Ha! Add this one to the list, then.

At least one UNCheat thread, right?

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...the-hook-AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    "I'm not Going to Jinx It" thread, where alerts to potential upsets are mysteries to avoid mentioning the game explicitly. It's an amazing thread, although I usually don't know what the references are.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...t=upset+thread
    I was hoping this thread would get an honorable mention. I'd spork you, Sage, but I haven't been promiscuous enough.
    Seriously, there are so many great threads and memes woven into the threads - annual minutes threads, Duke vs. Kentucky, Patrick Davidson/Nick Horvath memes and the old summer leagues comments, cinder block measurements, pun degeneration (as an inexorable force on DBR as entropy), "It's Over", .
    I miss some of the old posters - greybeard who was interesting and previously mentioned (and what other basketball board would have a Feldenkrais expert), Jumbo, a dozen others. Some I've tousled with like Kedsy or Steven43, but I've enjoyed the camaraderie of the board and appreciate the level of knowledge here, not just of Duke basketball, but of basketball in general when we stay on topic. (Looking at you,AOC-Transfers-to-Creighton) The range and depth of knowledge on DBR is incredible. Also, the humor - Patrick Davidson is an Urban Legend
    If I had to pick one thread that defined DBR, it would have to be Throaty's Handy Pocket Reference 2007 thread that's pinned to the top. If you read through the Throaty's Reference, almost all the major threads are expressed with a board favorite of 9F all day long. Also, any thread that said "Carolina looked good."

Some good ones.

Here are some of the threads that I've enjoyed:
    1) Duke Football Offseason discussion..OPK
    2) 1991 Road to the Final Four-retrotour..MarkD83
    3) G League..awhom
    4) MOTM...JBDuke
    5) Status Check...OZZIE4DUKE
    6) Welcome to Duke thread
    7) This week in the ACC..pfrDuke

I really miss some of the posters that are no longer posting, OLY, Jumbo, greybeard. I'm blessed to have been invited to this board by Bob Green. I've enjoyed it for 13 years now.

GoDuke!

This thread made me think of two things:

1) It reminded me of the great paradox:

The world can be broken up into groups of those things that can be on lists (threads) and the list of those things that are not.

2) Will this thread be on the list of Best Threads ever?

I've got to get out more.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    This thread made me think of two things:

1) It reminded me of the great paradox:

The world can be broken up into groups of those things that can be on lists (threads) and the list of those things that are not.

2) Will this thread be on the list of Best Threads ever?

I've got to get out more.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I'm trying to figure out what #1 means. 🤓🙄

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what #1 means. 🤓🙄
    It was an attempt at the Russell-Zermello Paradox, also known as (Bertrand) Russell's Paradox.

Originally from set theory, it states that,
    "Some sets, such as the set of all teacups, are not members of themselves. Other sets, such as the set of all non-teacups, are members of themselves. Call the set of all sets that are not members of themselves “R.” If R is a member of itself, then by definition it must not be a member of itself. Similarly, if R is not a member of itself, then by definition it must be a member of itself."
    QED.

But as i said, this thread reminded me of that, ergo my second statement.

Larry
    DevilHorse

I wouldn't want to bring up a thread I started as belonging in this category, but my thread "words you like or dislike" (or words to that effect) on the off-topic board is an example of why DBR is great.

Within the first 8 or 9 pages there is a fascinating discussion of "you're welcome" versus "no problem" as an answer to "thank you," and whether which you prefer is really largely a matter of when you were born. A thought-provoking discussion that wouldn't be out of place on NPR.

Gotta love DBR!